Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
I find it hard to associate the word "weird" with the Collins era of the band. To me, weird nicely sums up some of the Gabriel era songs. I prefer the word "quirky". A perfect song for that word is Robbery, Assault, and Battery off of Trick of the Tail, which is a Collins/Banks song (it's also my favorite song on the album). The music is a bit out there, but it's very catchy. I think that even later songs like I Can't Dance can be described as quirky. Just my 2 cents, though.
A good word. I find Me & Sarah Jane quirky. The story is bizarre. Some of the chord progressions are strange. The overall structure is bizarre. If you tore the song apart, you wouldn't think that a lot of those bits can work in the same song. But they do!

You mentioned Robbery, Assault, and Battery. There's a nice bit in the instrumental section. When you play it on a guitar or keyboards, you'll find that Tony's fingers move very little when he moves from one chord to another. But still it's a unique chord progression.
I'm talking about the progression of eight chords that starts at 3:21 mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ui-HncKTz4

That kind of darker (or quirkier) Banksian stuff ended with Me & Sarah Jane IMO. It came back on Calling All Stations.