Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

I'm saying this as a huge Glenn fan, and as an even bigger Tony fan:

They both may be control freaks, but there's one big difference IMO. As far as I know Glenn's controlling has always been based on what he sees is the best for the band. Tony, on the other hand, has always been fighting to get his own stuff through - at least before they started writing all the stuff together in the 80's. Even Tony himself has admitted that he got the most grumpy if his material wasn't accepted.

So there's a big difference.

Having said that, I love Tony. I've read/seen a lot of interviews. He's a very funny guy, although he tends to look nervous most of the time.

And yeah, Steve Hackett has released tons of inventive music since he left Genesis. I've seen him complain about two things.
    1) His music was rejected. Tony admitted in the documentary that whoever got the grumpiest if his music wasn't accepted won. So it wasn't necessarily about the quality of the material.
    2) His solo career was completely ignored in the documentary. The other guys agree.

So unlike Don F, Steve hasn't complained about a lot of things that the rest of the guys disagree upon.

Freypower, it's nice that you're starting to like Tony more. As for Tony having the final word, I think he's the guy who's best at remembering all their music. Mike has admitted that he forgets even his own parts. At the start of the "reunion" rehearsals Phil wasn't even sure what the song "Domino" was. Tony seems to have a great memory. He also had heard all their albums recently since he was very much involved with the new mixes. Phil said a few times that this time around he really started to understand Tony and they got along better than ever. I guess they all had loosened up at that point.
    Last edited by chaim; 09-13-2015 at 06:33 AM.