Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leather and Lace Demo

Default Re: Leather and Lace Demo

Hmm - what kind of volume problem did you have? Were you still able to hear it? Glad you liked them.

~

Oh, and I wanted to add that in my personal opinion, The Highwayman is one of Stevie's best solo songs, and Leather and Lace is also in the top 10.

~

Stuck on the Border

The Highwayman is a 'this is about Glenn' song like some other of her songs which I personally dedicate to him - Rooms On Fire in particular but also Landslide and parts of Gold Dust Woman (Soda knows what I mean by that).

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Good choices, Freypower. One of the great things about Stevie's music is how you can apply her songs emotionally to all sorts of things - I know this is true of all artists, but it seems with Stevie it's even more so because she's one of those who writes about her own experiences rather than inventing "characters." Therefore, when I hear Silver Springs and think about that guy who dumped me, I think, "Yeah, she gets it, and this song says it all."

Since I adore Stevie, I do wish she and Glenn had gotten along better! Oh well.

~

Stuck on the Border

Just on Stevie I didn't know Edge of Seventeen was about John Lennon's death, and now she thinks it is about 9/11. She says Landslide is now about Hurricane Katrina. I happened to read an article in an Australian women's magazine about her which was done before she came out here for the Melbourne Cup.

I need to play Edge of Seventeen but when I read that I remembered 'words of a poet and the voice from a choir and a melody... .nothing else mattered'. How right she was.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Yeah, I think her desire to re-apply her songs to modern events is one of her charms.

~

This Don fan wants to THANK YOU from the bottom of her heart for posting those songs, Nancy!

Leather and Lace was amazing, and The Highwayman was great too! It was great to hear different versions of songs that I have listened to, and loved, for ages. Their voices really blend together beautifully, don't they? And to hear the unpolished versions was quite a treat.

You don't have any other demos with Don on them, do you? Goodness knows that no Eagles demos are likely to surface anytime soon....

Glad you liked it, Dana! As of now, I don't have any more demos with Don on them, although I've been looking around for them.

Funny story: Stevie says that while they were dating, she showed Dreams to Don, and he was annoyed by the way she said "WashES" instead of "WASHes." "You're putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable, Stevie! You're not pronouncing the world correctly!" That's our English major for ya.

~

LOL! That sounds just like Don!

OMG FP!! I almost fell over when I read what you wrote about Rooms on Fire as I also think of Glenn when I listen to that song!!!! I swear we must be sisters! lol

(Oh...btw...it's Lissa)