Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Words of Wisdom - Quotes about the Eagles :)

I have always loved the Eagles, but over the last few years, when I became aware of each man's individual voice and became completely transfixed by Don's voice in general, I have been trying to put my finger on exactly what it is about his voice that is so mesmerizing. Also, as a writer, I love words and appreciate a really good turn of phrase, especially when reviewers don't go for the old "Eagles Soar Again" line and write something original.

So, here are a couple of quotes that I really like:

From the Liverpool Daily Post, 6-28-06:

"With their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 still America's biggest selling album, it would be easy to write off the Eagles as little more than a corporate juggernaut. They're a good deal more than that: gifted purveyors of a genre few groups have been slick enough to match. Co-founder Don Henley may be a few pounds heavier and a lot older, but he still possesses the most haunting voice in rock music."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From The Straits Times, Singapore, 10-20-04:

"It was still unmistakeably Henley. No other rock voices boasts that distinctive power-racked rasp which is the vocal equivalent of tarnished silver--a precious metal tainted to yeild to its own beauty. Just to hear that legendary instrument sing about that infamous dark desert highway was a journey of light itself."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Twickenham Times, 6-20-06

"Those harmoniously meticulous meditations set the tone for a one-hour opening set that gathered together most of the songs associated with the classic Eagles sound. Leading from behind his drumkit, Don Henley and the band locked into a groove on the sultry, soulful 'One of These Nights.' A few songs later, when he donned a guitar for his flower-power requiem 'Boys of Summer,' scenes of boomer mayhem greeted its opening chords."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(As a full-fledged baby-boomer myself, that last one made me laugh. )

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Those are great, Dana! Very nice descriptions of that voice.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Here's one more, from the Charleston Gazette, March 2005:

"Stepping out on the stage in stylish suits, the Eagles looked every bit the part of the so-called 'Mellow Mafia.' They were a mob of slick professionals led by a raspy-voiced, graying 'Don' who still knows a thing or two about making a hit."

(As a Sopranos fan, I got a kick out of the 'Mafia' reference. )

Excellent quotes Dana! I especially love those first two! They say the words that I think when I hear Don's voice

Thanks for posting those Dana - the one from the Singapore paper is especially eloquent in describing Don's voice. It truly is one of a kind.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing about that comments in the Singapore paper, Soda. I love that analogy to describe "the most haunting voice in rock 'n roll."

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I just watched the BOML clip that Soda put up, and in it J.D. Souther wishes Glenn a happy birthday. I know he has been a great friend of Don & Glenn's for many years, and that reminded me that I had another quote.

I don't remember where I read this one, but J. D. said:

"Glenn is a great natural country singer, and Henley brought that R&B sensibility with him. Don could sing anything he wrapped his voice around. That insanely beautiful voice, like 400-grain sandpaper, rough but fine, was incredible to hear."

These quotes are cool, thanks for posting them. It's interesting that it's only in the last few years that you recognised the different vocalists, DF. It's the same for me, but now I like to pick out who is singing in the backing vocals as well. I love those descriptions of Don's voice, especially J.D's:

That insanely beautiful voice, like 400-grain sandpaper, rough but fine, was incredible to hear.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I hate to admit it, but I listened to Joe Walsh's Life's Been Good for years before I finally figured out that he was in the Eagles.
    Now, I do the same thing you do, GEF--listen for different voices in the background vocals.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I would know in most cases who is singing lead vocals on any Eagles song, but even I was surprised last Sunday. I had Glenn on in the kitchen (well on the ipod, not unfortunately in the flesh!) singing Desperado from Live in Dublin. The 5 year old walked in and announced "thats not the guy who usually sings Desperado is it?" She tends to be more exposed to Don because he 'lives' in the car on CD and I don't tend to speaker the ipod too often. Still I thought it was very good of her to recognise the differences in their voices almost immediately! She's a Tim Fan!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP