Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol 2011

Default Re: American Idol 2011

Some surprises for me tonight on what I like to call "Make You Feel Old Night."

Naima ("What's Love Got to Do with It") - She's got verve and a good voice! A great voice? No. She was missing notes. She can only go so far on personality.... but I think at this point she's still entertaining enough to stay on.

Paul ("I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues") - He may have been sick (and I could tell a couple of those random "Hey!"'s and "Come on!"s were designed to hide a breaking voice) but I enjoyed him more this week than I have the past two weeks. I think he picked a very good song for him and I liked it. I appreciate he didn't do as much "dancing" although there were still moments when he wiggled like a guy who really needed to go to the bathroom and was trying not to wet himself.

Thia ("Colors of the Wind") - Much better than last week, and her voice has a really pretty quality. I still think she's too young and emotionally immature for this, though, and I can see what Randy means about her doing the same thing every week. Plus that song from the Disney movie Pocahontas is kind of boring, but that's just my opinion.

James ("I'll Be There for You") - I love James but I thought he was off at several points during this song, especially at the beginning. Not his best week to put it mildly. If he was like this every week I wouldn't be rooting for him, but he's shown he can rock it. Rock it again next week, James!

Haley ("I'm Your Baby Tonight") - very saucy! I liked it, although her lower register wasn't as pleasing as her upper range. I thought it was unfair of Randy to criticize her for singing different styles of songs. It's called versatility, Randy. I hate their "You don't know who you are so let us tell you. Go imitate Janis Joplin and Stevie Nicks and don't try to do anything else." That lipstick bit must have been embarrassing but she handled it well.

Stefano ("If You Don't Know Me By Now") - once again, I was unsure as he seemed a bit off at first, but once again, he pulled it out. I also liked the runs he did - and I usually am not into that. I'm still liking Stefano.

Pia ("Where Do Broken Hearts Go") - nailed it to the wall again. What more is there to say? Love you, Pia!

Scotty ("Can I Trust You With My Heart") - I thought I was going to be bored with another same-old same-old country song but he actually took risks and showed he had some range. His most interesting performance so far! BTW maybe being an Elvis impersonator made him do that funky thing with his mouth! Make that face too long and it'll stay that way. lol

Karen ("Love Will Lead You Back") - Not perfect but really good. So much better than last week! However, I'm getting tired of her breaking out the Spanish mid-song - I understand she's proud of her Hispanic heritage but it's becoming a gimmick IMHO. Her outfit was... interesting.

Casey ("Smells Like Teen Spirit") - So Casey's back. Hope he stays healthy. His parents were too funny! OK, the performance. I like this song - yes, I admit it, when I was in high school I kind of liked grunge - but this is not a song that shows off one's voice. It's a cynical "tribute" to teen defiance stemming from disaffectation (not that I think Casey understood that as he didn't show any connection to the song) and you shout it. In fact, Kurt Cobain shouted it to the point where you could barely understand what he was saying. What was Casey thinking?? That last bit where he was hopping up and down while he vocally shredded "DENNIIIIAAAAL" made me embarrassed for him, and those "angry" faces he was trying to make as he mugged for the camera only made me laugh. Nope, still not "feeling" Casey. And J-Lo calls this sexy? mmmkay.

Lauren ("I'm the Only One") - did they give her drugs to help her with her flu or just spike her cough syrup? She seemed drunk in that bit with Ryan! The lower notes weren't happening and there were a couple of rough notes higher but should we give her a pass on that because she was sick? I don't know... she did do really well otherwise... I think it worked so I'll say yes.

Jacob ("Alone") - I've never heard a guy sing this song before. I didn't like it at first but when he got to the second part, I got into it. Then, at the last third, he lost me as he went over the top once more. Jacob just doesn't know how much is too much. (PS Jacob - saying you're going to put the "Lusk Stank" on the song just sounds gross.)

Top Three:
    Pia (of course), Stefano, Haley

Bottom Three: Casey, Jacob, Naima

Who's Going Home: Karen. I enjoyed her performance and I wouldn't send her home based on this week, but I don't think she did enough to erase America's memory of last week.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I agree on most of your comments except for a couple. I thought Stefano was spot on. This and wild card week were my favorite performances of his. I also thought Lauren did an awesome job. A much better song for her than her previous choice. As much as I love Casey, this did NOT do him any favors. I was STUNNED to hear Jacob get such rave reviews. I thought he butchered most of the song!

Oh, I know! That ending was especially awful! And Randy called it genius!

Genius? In the words of Inigo Montoya of The Princess Bride:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Well Mike, it is called American Idol.
    I KNOW! LOL. Just the terminology.

BTW: I actually liked what James did last night. I think it was James. Isn't he the one with Tourette syndrome? I had a kid in the Cub Scout Den I lead who had it. He's all grown up now but still has some of his "tics". Back then, he really had some nasty ones before they got him on meds that helped him control it.

MikeA

Let's see.....Naima, Paul, James, Stefano, Pia and Jacob, step forward please. The rest of you can go home.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Substitute Naima/Jacob with Lauren/Casey and you have my list PM

Okay, I'll let Casey stay.
    ~ Cathy ~

I'm not a huge Blackeyed Peas fan...really don't care much at all for them. But was that really Fergie last night? She didn't look much at all as I vaguely recall her looking.

MikeA

I don't know Mike, I switched to basketball so I wouldn't have to watch them.
    ~ Cathy ~

I agree Mike, that did NOT look at all like Fergie. Looked more like Jessica Simpson. lol I don't know what the heck that was all about.