Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking back: 2011

Default Looking back: 2011

Just as I did last year, I've decided to go back and review what our Eagles have been up to. If I've forgotten anything or made any mistakes, feel free to correct me.. or to add your own memories!

It was a special year indeed. As well as being the 40th year anniversary of the formation of the band, it also saw spates of solo shows from Glenn, Don Henley, Tim, Joe, and former member Don Felder as well as some shows from the Eagles themselves - several in places they had never played before.

What will 2012 bring? It looks to be an exciting year. Glenn, Don, and Joe all have announced plans to release new albums in 2012, and the Eagles plan to release a "History of the Eagles" which will feature Eagles rarities. A 40th Anniversary tour will be mounted as well, perhaps also including some rarities. Shows in South Africa and New Orleans have already been announced. Exciting times are ahead!

But for now... 2011.

FEBRUARY
    Eagles mount their first tour of Asia in years. They hit Bangkok, Singapore, and Taipei.

Timothy B. Schmit and his wife create an endowment at Berklee College, where their son attends school.

Timothy B. Schmit releases his first video off of Expando for the song "Friday Night." It is featued on his YouTube channel as well as other social media.

MARCH
    Eagles continue touring in Asia. They leave Japan days before a tsunami devastated parts of the country. They also play shows in China, South Korea, and Hong Kong.

APRIL
    Timothy B. Schmit teams with Paul Carrack and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra to release a new version of "Love Will Keep Us Alive."'

Don Felder opens an official site.

JUNE
    Eagles begin a short tour of several European countries. They play Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, and Germany.

JULY
    Eagles wrap up their short tour with Hop Farm Festival in England.

Historically, this month also marks the 40th anniversary of the first time the original members of the Eagles played together, although they would not release an album until 1972.

AUGUST
    Glenn Frey plays his first solo shows in three years; both are in Niagara Falls. He announces plans for a new album, After Hours, his first since the early 90s - Valentine's Day 2012 is the tentative release date. The album will consist of covers of songs stretching over the 20th century, although it is rumored that the original song "After Hours" will also be on the album.... and the title seems to bear that out! He also announces plans for a "History of the Eagles" DVD coming out in 2012 to commemorate the band's 40th anniversary.

SEPTEMBER
    Don Henley begins a spate of shows, mostly in California, and adds covers of several songs he's never performed live before to the setlist. He continues to stress his plans for an upcoming album, which will consist mostly of covers of county hits but will also be inclusive of some original material. It is set to come out in 2012.

OCTOBER
    Don Henley's tour expands to include Las Vegas and Oklahoma.

Joe Walsh begins a brief tour that hits several areas of the country. He states that his new album, Analog Man, will be out in 2012. He also plays the title track at some shows during his brief tour.

Glenn Frey gives a lecture as part of the "Hall of Fame Master Class" series at NYU and, in addition to discussing his songwriting, plays "It's Your World Now" for the first time publicly.

Timothy B. Schmit announces that he will appear on a tribute album to Linda McCartney.

NOVEMBER
    Joe Walsh and Don Henley wrap up their tours in California and Florida, respectively.

Glenn Frey performs at benefit in New Orleans.

Eagles play their only American shows of the year in Las Vegas.

Timothy B . Schmit plays a few solo shows in California, his first since the Expando tour.

DECEMBER
    Timothy B. Schmit wraps up his brief tour in California.

Eagles announce that in 2012, they will be playing South Africa for the first time ever.

Eagles also announce participation in 2012's Jazz Fest in New Orleans.

2011 rocked... and I have a feeling 2012 is going to be absolutely epic!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Looking back: 2011

Glenn did the benefit in New Orleans between Vegas shows in November. And I'm looking forward to Epic!!!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thanks - I'm adding it now!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for the review Nancy! Its nice to get a synopsis as to exactly what has happened over the past year. Of course the highlight for me was the wonderful trip I made to see Glenn Frey in Niagara Falls. Not just because I was present for the two best concerts I have ever attended, but also because it gave me the chance to meet 7 other Borderers - people I communicate with on a daily basis but who I never entertained chances of actually meeting.

Of course I am waiting with baited breath for the release of After Hours, and also the DVD set. If the Eagles stop by Ireland on some sort of Anniversary tour I will definitely be there, and I'm not ruling out any more solo Glenn Frey shows either, if he does them.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Well, I haven't been to any concerts in 2011, but it sure was an Eagley year for me - at least the second half of it was. I got back into the band (and joined the Border!) in August and since then I've just grown to love them even more than I did before. If I hadn't found the Border, I probably wouldn't have known to start saving up money for the 40th anniversary tour! I'm also really looking forward to all the solo albums coming out, especially Joe's. Let's hope 2012 is more than amazing Eagle-wise!
    ~ Tori
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/images/henley24.jpg

Thanks Soda, it's nice to read it!I especially liked the review of June!
    JUNE
    Eagles begin a short tour of several European countries. They play Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, and Germany.
    Awww, I was there!Yes!!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Wow, they were busy! Fantastic that they all managed solo shows as well as performing together and working on new stuff - sounds like a nice "balance" of work & they even managed a couple of months off.

Fingers crossed for an epic 2012!!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Love seeing it all laid out like that!!!!

More than anything else coming up, I am looking forward to the box set. Who knows what we might get in it. So looking forward to new stuff that I can put in the player over and over again.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the review, Soda. Love recapping the year from an Eagles view.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm looking very forward to the release of a DVD boxed set. I hope that we would even be able to see some of the material in HD. Now that would be nice.