Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I like a lot of LS songs, but kinda feel like you, Austin. The new version just is NOT the original. I never saw either live. I really love Simple Man. That song just nearly brings me to tears every time. Of course Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama are great, but they play them too much around here. We had those two songs in our top 100 cds in our cd player at home and it seemed that every time we played the cd player randomly, we'd get FB. Finally had to take it out of the player!
    I agree about Free Bird. It's a GREAT song but it is overplayed. It's the one crowds always yell out. It's an anthem really. I burn out on overplayed songs but Hotel California, no matter how often it's played I never get tired of it. It's my favorite song and album of all time. It was a life-changer for me but in general, I get tired of overplayed songs. Stairway to Heaven is another. I change the channels when that comes on. Great song though.

But Skynyrd had a TON of great songs beside Free Bird. Sweet Home Alabama, Simple Man, Gimme Three Steps, That Smell, Tuesday's Gone, Needle and the Spoon, Saturday Night Special, What's Your Name, I Know A Little, I Ain't The One, On The Hunt, Swamp Music, The Ballad Of Curtis Loew, Call Me The Breeze, Workin' For MCA, Don't Ask Me No Questions, You Got That Right, Gimme Back My Bullets, All I Can Do Is Write About It, and Whiskey Rock-A Roller.

Those are all of the ones I can think of that I like off the top of my head!

Banned

FREE BIRD!!!!
    The crowd would yell that out when my husbands band was playing bars years ago. And they would play it...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    FREE BIRD!!!!
    The crowd would yell that out when my husbands band was playing bars years ago. And they would play it...
    We would too, before we were an Eagles tribute we were a Classic Rock cover band, and we would generally play it if we had everything set up for it (slide guitar) that night.

I love Skynyrd, one of my favorites! Some of my favorite songs are Saturday Night Special, That Smell, Simple Man, Free Bird, and Swamp Music. I like Sweet Home Alabama, but it's just really overplayed.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFanatic View Post
    I love Skynyrd, one of my favorites! Some of my favorite songs are Saturday Night Special, That Smell, Simple Man, Free Bird, and Swamp Music. I like Sweet Home Alabama, but it's just really overplayed.
    Yeah "Alabama" and "Free Bird" are really overplayed.

I really love That Smell. It's my personal favorite. That and Tuesday's Gone probably.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    But Skynyrd had a TON of great songs beside Free Bird. Sweet Home Alabama, Simple Man, Gimme Three Steps, That Smell, Tuesday's Gone, Needle and the Spoon, Saturday Night Special, What's Your Name, I Know A Little, I Ain't The One, On The Hunt, Swamp Music, The Ballad Of Curtis Loew, Call Me The Breeze, Workin' For MCA, Don't Ask Me No Questions, You Got That Right, Gimme Back My Bullets, All I Can Do Is Write About It, and Whiskey Rock-A Roller.

Those are all of the ones I can think of that I like off the top of my head!
    You know what's so great about this site and sharing your favorite music? Some of these are so great I'm going to download them to my Ipod now!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    You know what's so great about this site and sharing your favorite music? Some of these are so great I'm going to download them to my Ipod now!
    Great!!! I love pretty much all of them. Some of them are overplayed and you burn out on them but they are all great songs. "Street Survivors" is my favorite Skynyrd album. It was the one that came out right before the plane crash.

Stuck on the Border

I've been listening to a lot of Skynyrd lately and I've realized I have all of their DVDs except "Freebird the Movie" which is about the plane crash and their tour just before it. I want to get it but it looks like it isn't sold anymore in the US. I'm gonna have to do some eBaying I think!!!

Here's a little somethin' for you all today:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-SIbttHSg0[/ame]

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Glad to see there's a Lynyrd Skynyrd thread here, I'm quite a big fan of them myself. They are my second favourite American band (wonder who number one could be? ).

My favourite album would have to be Pronounced..., which is also my favourite debut album of all time (I even like it more than Led Zeppelin I). There are so many great songs on that record and no filler tracks, and I think it's unbelievably confident for a debut. I currently only own Pronounced, Second Helping and Street Survivors, but I really like almost all of the tracks on those three records. I'm still fairly new to the last one compared to the first two, but I like it a lot, especially the awesome That Smell.

My overall top ten songs at the time of writing would probably be:
    Simple Man
    Free Bird
    That Smell
    Sweet Home Alabama
    The Ballad Of Curtis Loew
    Tuesday's Gone
    Gimme Three Steps
    What's Your Name
    Don't Ask Me No Questions
    Things Goin' On

I have a couple of questions to ask, hope no one minds:

1) What do people make of Nuthin' Fancy and Gimme Back My Bullets? I'll probably end up getting them eventually anyway, but they definitely seem harder to find in the UK (in the Skynyrd sections of most music stores I visit, they usually have the three I've already got plus the compilations).

2) I have a question for Austin specifically - how do you tell which guitarist is playing which parts? I was talking about Skynyrd with my Dad (who is also a fan - I think he saw them twice in the 1970s before the plane crash) and it occurred to me that I although I absolutely love Skynyrd's guitars, I know very little about the guitarists, especially their playing style and preferred axe (especially compared to the Eagles, where I know what to listen out for and can tell Felder from Walsh or Glenn from Bernie etc.). Given that many of their songs have multiple guitar solos I'd really love to have some idea of who plays which parts, or at least be able to identify the likely player. Are there any solos or guitar parts which stand out as being particularly recognisable as Allen Collins, Gary Rossington or others? I know Allen and Gary played the Free Bird solos, but that is the extent of my current knowledge.

Let's discuss post crash Skynyrd now obviously they are controversial but some of my favorite post Ronnie songs are
    1.The Last Rebel
    2.Still Unbroken
    3.Gifted Hands
    4.Smokestack Lighting
    5.Mad Hatter
    6.Last of A dying breed.