Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Melbourne, Australia 2010

Default Re: Melbourne, Australia 2010

I want to welcome you too Kiwi. Glad you found your way to The Border!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Kiwi, Welcome from me as well!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Welcome, Kiwi!

As for Please Come Home For Christmas, there's only one thing to say... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Border Desperado

Koala - Thanks for finding and sharing the video of "Please Come Home for Christmas". Awesome! I was thrilled to see Don sing it live at his solo show in Chicago in 2009.

Welcome to the Border, Kiwi! So glad you got to hear "Please Come Home For Christmas"-perfect for the holiday season!

Welcome, Kiwi!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Welcome from me, too, Kiwi! We'd love to hear more about the concert you went to! Glad you found us!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Thank you all for the welcomes! And I'd LOVE to talk more about the concert!! Maybe in two parts if you all don't mind (or I'll be here all day).

The stage is set up with a big screen in the middle, and two screens either side, throughout the concert the 2 side screens are used for close ups of the band members which is great. The centre screen is used for video clips at various points.

The lights went down, the musicians came on stage (lots of applause) then the Eagles came out (more applause & cheering etc). The lights came up to them singing "There are stars in the Southern sky..." (Seven Bridges Road) - perfect for a downunder concert - and really emphasising that an Eagles concert is about the music. The audience loved it.

The next couple of songs (How Long and I Don't Want To Hear) continue to warm up both their voices and the audience.

The next highlight began with a trumpet solo (& at least half the audience knows what's coming), then the album cover came up on screen to the guitar intro of Hotel California. It's quite something to see Don perform this - it's really full on both with the drums and the vocals - and of course Joe and Steuart Smith on the guitars are wonderful.

Peaceful Easy Feeling showcases Glenn's singing and I Can't Tell You Why is beautifully done by Timothy - with the audience joining in on both of those.

Witchy Woman was AMAZING. It had so much energy to it and really highlighted the difference between listening to a CD and attending a live performance. WOW.

Lyin' Eyes and The Boys of Summer are both well received, and finally Joe gets to play with In The City, and the first half concludes with In The Long Run. Oh - and I think Joe looks better & healthier than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Witchy Woman was AMAZING. It had so much energy to it and really highlighted the difference between listening to a CD and attending a live performance. WOW.
    I couldn't agree with this statement more. WW rocks live!

And yes, Joe looks the best he's ever looked.

Looking forward to part two Kiwi!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Okay, I've just read back over my "part one" comments and realised they sounded a little flat, and that's REALLY not the impression I wanted to leave. The first half of the concert was very, very good.

But the second part really blew us away. I hadn't heard the LROOE cd before (apart from the singles played on radio) and so this was the first time I'd heard "No More Walks In The Wood" which was STUNNING as well as Waiting In The Weeds.

More familiar songs followed, and then they played LROOE itself which was amazing. I can't wait to get the album. Something the Eagles have always done very well is write to their current strengths (voice ranges, harmonies and instrumental), and the LROOE tracks were superb.

The band introductions were nice, as was the interaction with the audience through the concert. Joe was the last to be introduced (& I think got even bigger cheers than Don) and took us into a really upbeat section starting with Walk Away, then One of These Nights, Life's Been Good (with a great video clip sequence) and then Dirty Laundry which was another standout (and was also enhanced with video clips - various front pages of the tabloids).

Funk #49, Heatache Tonight & Life in the Fast Lane ended the second half, then the band took a brief break and came back out for the encore (by the way that's a good time for a bathroom break!).

We were lucky to get 4 songs in the encore - Take It Easy, Rocky Mountain Way (which the audience had been yelling for all night), then Don said that it was getting to the end of the tour, they were all missing their families and wanted to sing something special showing how they felt at this time of year (PCHFC). It was really beautiful, and Desperado was a lovely finishing note.

So overall a fantastic evening - 3 hours of performing which I thought was great value and a meticulously crafted show. To anybody going to an upcoming concert - you're going to love it!

PS if they end up doing another DVD from this tour I'd love to see something about how they create the show in the "Extras" section.