Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Yes, I read it (actually, listened to the audiobook) and found it very interesting.

There's some Eagles content in the Carole King section.

Stuck on the Border

I'm back to reading detective novels. I'm through the first three of the Wallender series (Henning Mankell) and I'm enjoying the style. A hero who seems ordinary and feels out of depth in the way crime is developing in Sweden, lots of human error and yet he somehow makes it through and solves the crime.

I'm now onto the fifth of Harry Bingham's "Fiona Griffiths" series. I started reading these because it's my home territory and I've continued because they're different and intriguing. She's a young - and rather odd - detective in the South Wales police and it's all told in the first person.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm back to reading detective novels. I'm through the first three of the Wallender series (Henning Mankell) and I'm enjoying the style. A hero who seems ordinary and feels out of depth in the way crime is developing in Sweden, lots of human error and yet he somehow makes it through and solves the crime.
    UtW, did you watch the Wallender television series starring Kenneth Branagh? I was wondering how faithful the books are. Might be too depressing for me, though I did "enjoy" (if that's the right word!) the tv show.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Thanks NMB and Brooke!!!

I remember the "Wallender" show too, especially since Tom Hiddleston was on it before he got famous, but I haven't read them either.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    UtW, did you watch the Wallender television series starring Kenneth Branagh? I was wondering how faithful the books are. Might be too depressing for me, though I did "enjoy" (if that's the right word!) the tv show.
    I've only seen one episode which I enjoyed - I do like Kenneth Branagh - and I've just read the book on which it was loosely based. There were very big differences for good reasons. The book was set in 1992, near the end of apartheit and is about an attempted assassination of Nelson Mandela whereas the tv show was set some twenty years later and had a much simpler and less extreme plot.

I don't find the books depressing. Perhaps I'm hopeful that things will get better for poor Kurt. He seems a nice man. I also think it's funny that Kurt's father spends his life painting the same scene but sometimes with a grouse and sometimes without.

What an intriguing idea. It's kind of appalling that Shaun Cassidy could still be affecting my life though. Geez, don't I have enough to deal with...

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I like that idea too. Wonder what it says about me that I had multiple and that Glenn, Don, George Harrison, and Paul McCartney were part of it along with my normal pre-teen crushes of Paul Rudd, Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and other actors & musicians from the 90s. LOL
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Woah! You're lucky to live in such a beautiful place. I read the book years ago and it made me want to be a farmer for awhile Finally toured the house a few years ago.

Have you ever seen the movie starring Mary Steenburgen?
    Yes, I've seen the movie, and loved it, but the book is better. But I always think that.

As I am re-reading it I keep comparing it to what I saw on the tour. It makes me want to go back again, even though I just went. It touches my heart.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm reading a science fiction classic, Douglas Adams' A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's a bit quirky for my tastes but not bad. I have a few more of my usual tastes after this (historical fiction). After those books, I plan to read Margret Mitchell's Gone With the Wind. I've never read the book nor watched the movie.

I would like opinions on the Harry Potter book. All of the copies at the library were checked out, and I didn't want to pay $30 for it yet.

In the autobiography department, I bought Tony Hawk's autobiography on Amazon. I like skateboarding and am a fan of his, so I'm sure I'll like his book.

First celebrity crush? Chipper Jones (baseball player) was probably the first one I had. My first crush on a musician was Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

You sound like a cute kid! I remember Shaun's ice blue satin jacket very well, I had a door-sized poster of him wearing it. But he married young and never even gave me a chance...

I'm currently reading "Long Promised Road" a biography of Beach Boy Carl Wilson. It's extremely well researched but focuses almost entirely on the music. If you want to know anything personal about Carl, you're outta luck.

Aside: Shaun Cassidy was/is a serious BB fan and covered an obscure but gorgeous Brian Wilson tune "It's Like Heaven" on his Todd Rundgren-produced LP Under Wraps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqiZ...=RDlqiZQe3ufB0
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 08-18-2016 at 01:54 PM.