Page 56 of 68 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Note to Don Henley appreciators: there's a fair amount of Henley content in "It's Not Only Rock and Roll" by Dr. Jenny Boyd, wherein she interviewed many musicians about their creative process. Interview subjects included Lindsey B., Stevie, Mick, Christine, Stephen Stills, Crosby, Nash, Winwood, etc.

You know that part in HOTE where Don H says something about not being one of the football players in high school that the girls loved? You may have wondered, as did I, why a mature, intelligent, wildly successful person like himself would continue to give the tiniest crap. Turns out Don was only 98 lbs in high school, and got beaten up by those football players. That would stay with a person.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Note to Don Henley appreciators: there's a fair amount of Henley content in "It's Not Only Rock and Roll" by Dr. Jenny Boyd, wherein she interviewed many musicians about their creative process. Interview subjects included Lindsey B., Stevie, Mick, Christine, Stephen Stills, Crosby, Nash, Winwood, etc.

You know that part in HOTE where Don H says something about not being one of the football players in high school that the girls loved? You may have wondered, as did I, why a mature, intelligent, wildly successful person like himself would continue to give the tiniest crap. Turns out Don was only 98 lbs in high school, and got beaten up by those football players. That would stay with a person.
    I need to check out that book. Poor Don, but at least he went on to bigger and better things.

I'm reading The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye. It's one of the books I bought for $1 from a local library. It's about bartender turned policeman in 1845 New York City. He comes across a young Irish girl who tells him about the murders of at least a score of children her age. The police uncover a mass murder who targets poor children.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

I have a recommendation for AG, if you can find it in a library. It's the first of a historical series which starts in Scotland in the 16th century. It's dense and political and a bit hard-going to begin with but if you get hooked, it's a wonderful ride with an intriguing flawed hero. Like most fans of the series, I've read it many times. Before I forget:

"The Game of Kings", Dorothy Dunnett

Here's the wikipedia entry but stop reading when it comes to the parts on the individual books as they contain spoilers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymond_Chronicles

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I'm currently reading "Unhooked" by Lisa Maxwell and it's another novel where the "Peter Pan" story is completely reversed with Hook being one of the ones trapped there and Pan and the evil fairies as the real villains. One of my favorite shows "Once Upon a Time" started this trend, which made me love the Captain Hook character, but it makes sense as an adult and looking back on the "Peter Pan" books and movies. From a child perspective you see it one way, and as an adult the other.

It's also the 4th time I've seen Hook portrayed as a romantic lead. The first being "OUAT" with Killian "Hook" Jones, 2nd the book "Alias Hook", third the "Pan" movie from last year, and now "Unhooked". Plus, this version of Hook is an Irish/English version named Rowan very close to how "OUAT" is portraying him (and why my other "OUAT" friends recommended the book to me).

Plus, I love Celtic mythology so seeing the fairies portrayed as how they originally were is nice too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I have a recommendation for AG, if you can find it in a library. It's the first of a historical series which starts in Scotland in the 16th century. It's dense and political and a bit hard-going to begin with but if you get hooked, it's a wonderful ride with an intriguing flawed hero. Like most fans of the series, I've read it many times. Before I forget:

"The Game of Kings", Dorothy Dunnett

Here's the wikipedia entry but stop reading when it comes to the parts on the individual books as they contain spoilers.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymond_Chronicles
    Thanks for the recommendation, UtW. I should be going to the library soon. I'm sure that at least one library in Georgia should have it. ( I can get books from almost any library in the state sent to my local or preferred library.)

ETA: My main library has it, so I've placed a hold on it, and will pick it up either today or tomorrow.

I have a feeling that my reading time will be reduced for the next 7 weeks, but I'm going to read as much as I can. I'm about to start on another Civil War book and then its sequel(Galveston and Red River) They're both part of a series by PG Nangle. I'm starting in the middle of the series by mistake, but I'll read the other books when I can.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, UtW. I should be going to the library soon. I'm sure that at least one library in Georgia should have it. ( I can get books from almost any library in the state sent to my local or preferred library.)

ETA: My main library has it, so I've placed a hold on it, and will pick it up either today or tomorrow.
    That's good. When you get it, the usual advice is to give it about 100 pages, skip over the foreign or archaic quotes and trust that it will begin to make sense soon. It's more "Game of Thrones" than "Outlander".

I've started on the audiobook of Carly Simon's autobiography, Boys in the Trees, narrated by Ms. Simon herself. She has a gorgeous speaking voice, husky and warm, and is an excellent descriptive writer (no great surprise I suppose, considering who her father was).

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    That's good. When you get it, the usual advice is to give it about 100 pages, skip over the foreign or archaic quotes and trust that it will begin to make sense soon. It's more "Game of Thrones" than "Outlander".

OK, I'll keep that in mind. I have some books to read before I get to it.

Right now, I'm reading a few more books by Bernard
    Cornwell for my non-school reading. I have to read a lot of short stories in 2 of my classes.
    -Kim-

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

Thanks for the recommendation MMB - I've just bought it on Amazon and I've also bought Mick Fleetwood's 'Play on' - now I've just to find the time to read them
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

I loved "Play On"! It gave a more nuanced insight into the band members, plus it was just charming and chatty.