Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I read a book of his years ago, I think it was The Liar. It was clever and mildly amusing, but the tone got wearisome after awhile. It also left a bad taste that he was flippant about one character (much older) using a 12-year old boy for sex.
    I don't think the book I'm reading will have a situation like that, at least I hope not.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Let us know your impressions. I really enjoyed Fry in "A Bit of Fry & Laurie," his comedy sketch show with Hugh Laurie and "Black Adder" with Laurie and Rowan Atkinson.

Let us know your impressions. I really enjoyed Fry in "A Bit of Fry & Laurie," his comedy sketch show with Hugh Laurie and "Black Adder" with Laurie and Rowan Atkinson.
    And wasn't he also Geeves to Hugh Laurie's Wooster?

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Will do. Not only did he work with House, but Mr. Bean as well?
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    And wasn't he also Jeeves to Hugh Laurie's Wooster?
    Indeed he was. I love their silliness but they're also both very fine dramatic actors.

Kim, yes - those three guys + Emma Thompson have been friends and occasional collaborators for years and years. They went to school together, Cambridge. Except for Rowan, who went to Oxford.

Indeed he was. I love their silliness but they're also both very fine dramatic actors.

Kim, yes - those three guys + Emma Thompson have been friends and occasional collaborators for years and years. They went to school together, Cambridge. Except for Rowan, who went to Oxford.
    Such distinguished company: I'm impressed.
    Makes me want to stand up straighter, somehow.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    Such distinguished company: I'm impressed.
    Makes me want to stand up straighter, somehow.
    I agree and speak (type) proper English.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I finally got to read the Beatles graphic novel about Brian Epstein "The Fifth Beatle" and it was so good. It was so well written telling Brian's story and I just felt so bad for him. I can't imagine what he went through and how he couldn't be who he truly was and all the hatred. Plus, he never realized how much people did love him, especially the boys, and it was so sad. I also really loved the artwork and how everyone was drawn. I'm really looking even more forward to the film version they're working on.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I finished the Stephen Fry book last night. Overall, I'd give it a 3 out of 5. I liked it, but it wasn't a book that I couldn't put down or couldn't wait to find out what happened. I found myself somewhat happy to reach the end of the boom The plot and story was pretty good, but a bit far fetched. I think that if the book was about 50 pages longer, I would've liked it more. The middle and the end was too short. I felt like there was some gaps. The book is definitely very British. I might read another one of Mr. Fry's books.

I'm now starting on Damascus Gate by Robert Stone. It takes place in modern Jerusalem (1990s). An American journalist uncovers a bombing plot to bomb the Temple Mount while on assignment. While digging deeper, he meets colorful characters. He slowly uncovers an attempt to seize political advantage that reveals duplicity and depravity on all sides of Jerusale's scared struggle.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

This reminds me of a funny moment from one of my favourite Blackadder episodes (I've never watched Series 1, but I love the other three series) - 'General Hospital' from Blackadder Goes Forth (the WWI series), where this friendly rivalry inspired a joke, when they are trying identify a German spy:

Blackadder (Atkinson): I asked if he had been to one of the great universities, Oxford, Cambridge or Hull... but you failed to spot that only two of these are great universities!
    General Melchett (Fry): That's right! Oxford's a complete dump!

You can watch the clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A

(My parents have mixed feelings about this gag as they went to Hull University! To appease them I should probably add that though although it's definitely never been as prestigious as Oxford and Cambridge, I think it ranked quite highly when they went in the late 70s/early 80s when Philip Larkin was the librarian there, but it isn't part of the what is now considered to be the elite group of public UK universities, known as the Russell Group. )

I haven't read any of Fry's books myself so I can't comment on them.