Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

I just got done reading Go Set A Watchman a little while ago. Unlike most people, I enjoyed the book, though not as much as Mockingbird. It's weird that in some ways, Atticus is portrayed as an antagonist. I also don't understand why Jem was killed off. Also, the change in narration. Mockingbird is written in first person point of view, with Scout providing the narration, whereas Watchman is written in the third person point of view, from a third person. I would recommend fans of Mockingbird to read this book, to see a different set of equality problems through an adult Scout's eyes.

I'm now going to read Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Affair at Styles. I've gotten hooked on her books. I also have several other various books from the library to read over the next month or so.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Can you believe I've never read an Agatha Christie novel. She's definitely going on my list.

AG, did you read Steven Tyler's book? I don't remember what he had to say about their former manager Tim Collins, who led them back to success after their early 80s nadir. Joe Perry claims the dude exerted control over their professional and personal lives like a cult leader.

Tyler's book was far more amusing. I don't think Joe has quite as much of a sense of humor. Steven was laugh-out-loud funny at times, such as when complaining about the "low tooth count" among Eastern European groupies.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I read Steven's book too, and thought it was pretty good. I've just been thinking I need to read it again! That he survived his addictions amazes me!

I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent. I'm not all that interested in it, but have nothing else here at work for down time. He is traveling across the country by car and telling about it as he goes. So I read a few pages from time to time. It's ok, and funny in places. Imagine my excitement when I come across an Eagles mention! He is traveling from Cleveland to Toledo, miles of mindless driving and he switches between radio stations and says "you cannot conceive of the sense of hopelessness that comes with hearing "Hotel California" by the Eagles for the fourteenth time in three hours." Then he goes on to complain about the dj's. Anyway, that part I liked!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That is funny Brooke!!! I love finding shoutouts like that. I'm currently reading "The Expanse" series, which I actually got into from watching the TV show (which is great). It's a sci-fi series set 200 years from now and the people of Earth have colonized Mars, the asteroid belt, and the moons of Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune and aliens have finally made their way into it, but it's just fascinating as this really could be plausible in 200 years. It's really focused on the human characters too and their rag tag family that gets formed between people from the warring colonies now that they have a new threat to fight against. It's also neat reading how music like that of the Eagles is considered classical in the books' future time period but people still love it. Also, one of the leaders of Earth is named Admiral Souther. LOL
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Can you believe I've never read an Agatha Christie novel. She's definitely going on my list.

AG, did you read Steven Tyler's book? I don't remember what he had to say about their former manager Tim Collins, who led them back to success after their early 80s nadir. Joe Perry claims the dude exerted control over their professional and personal lives like a cult leader.

Tyler's book was far more amusing. I don't think Joe has quite as much of a sense of humor. Steven was laugh-out-loud funny at times, such as when complaining about the "low tooth count" among Eastern European groupies.
    I've only read the Aerosmith autobiography, not Steven's book. It'll go on my list, as will Joe Perry's book. Agatha Christie's books are good, quick reads to me. I love murder/mystery books, so she's right up my alley. I must admit that I'm relatively new to her works, though, having only read 2 of before now. I'm a fast reader, and I'm trying to become more of a regular reader than I used to be. I've set a goal of reading 104 books this year,(2 a week) and so far, I've read 19 books, which puts me 2 books ahead of schedule.

Brooke, I love coming across Eagles references in books (and other bands, too). In the Black Dahila Avenger book, the author talked about his sister, who hung out with The Mamas and the Papas back in the 60s. I thought of Glenn because it was music like that group that made him interested in moving to California. (I also thought od Crosby Stills and Nash because Mama Cass brought them together)
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I've requested "The Sittaford Mystery" audio book from my library, so before too long I'll get to know Ms. Christie.

AG, I just looked over the Black Dahlia Avenger book on Amazon - I don't think I could handle that; too gruesome, too sad. I've gotten squeamish in my old age. But it seems as if the author made a convincing case as to who the murderer was - even James Ellroy gave it a favorable review.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I've requested "The Sittaford Mystery" audio book from my library, so before too long I'll get to know Ms. Christie.

AG, I just looked over the Black Dahlia Avenger book on Amazon - I don't think I could handle that; too gruesome, too sad. I've gotten squeamish in my old age. But it seems as if the author made a convincing case as to who the murderer was - even James Ellroy gave it a favorable review.
    Yeah, I'm not squeamish. That kind of stuff peaks my interest and grabs my attention. (yes, I know I'm weird and abnormal.) The author is suspected killer's son. It was a very interesting and in depth book. I learned a lot of new things about that ghastly unsolved murder.

As for the age thing, remember you're only as old as you feel . (If that's true, then I must be 70 or older!)
    -Kim-

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

I'm in the middle of reading Van Halen Rising: How a Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal by Greg Renoff.

I'm reading a novel called The Confessions of All Capone by Loren D. Estleman. It's a well researched fictional account of Al Capone telling his life story near the end of his life, to an undercover FBI agent. It's a bit long and drags a bit at times, but it's been an enjoyable read so far.
    -Kim-

I am reading Stairways to Heaven, no not about Zepplin. It is a book by
    Lorna Byrne. Angels In My Hair....She talks about how as a child she see's guardian angels. She claims everyone has one......So far I've only read about 10 pages because I find it a bit, out there, no pun intended. I'll read more and let you know.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............