Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Just finished Pete Townshend's book. If you're a Who fan, I highly recommend it.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

just curious...has anyone read War and Peace?...I was talking with a friend about this book....and we were saying neither of us can think of anyone we actually know who has read it!....always have heard about it though...I read Anna Karenina, that's about as close as I've gotten to War and Peace!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    just curious...has anyone read War and Peace?...I was talking with a friend about this book....and we were saying neither of us can think of anyone we actually know who has read it!....always have heard about it though...I read Anna Karenina, that's about as close as I've gotten to War and Peace!
    I started it in high school as a class project. Fortunately, the teacher changed her mind a couple of weeks into it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I read it when I was getting my master's degree... it was required for class.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    In my opinion it is the greatest book ever written. I have read it approximately 7 times & I try to do so every couple of years. Anna Karenina is also up there.

VA, you say 'fortunately' your teacher changed her mind, but you missed out on a great deal about the human experience.

The fact is though, that if you are not used to reading 'serious' literature, it probably is not for you. You need to have started with something like Austen & even Hardy before you get on to Tolstoy & the other Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Austin, I'm curious, what did you think of "I'm with the Band" ??? I read that several years ago. I can't imagine what kind of a life Miss Pamela had! WOW she slept with every rock star in the book! I can't see a guy reading this!!! I was so jealous of her!
    Hahaha.. I had to buy it just for my book collection alone because of the "legendary" factor. I found it pretty interesting, that said there were some parts I just skipped over that were boring to me or too girly. That said, it was interesting to say the least to read some of those stories. That said, I probably won't reread it like I have many other books.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    In my opinion it is the greatest book ever written. I have read it approximately 7 times & I try to do so every couple of years. Anna Karenina is also up there.

VA, you say 'fortunately' your teacher changed her mind, but you missed out on a great deal about the human experience.

The fact is though, that if you are not used to reading 'serious' literature, it probably is not for you. You need to have started with something like Austen & even Hardy before you get on to Tolstoy & the other Russians.
    I've read Anna Karenina twice, and I've read all of Austen. I read a lot of serious literature, but I'm sorry, 10th grade at 2pm (when the lunchtime sugar levels plummet) is not a time for War and Peace. Oh, not to mention there were boys to check out, and that was always more important! She attempted The Grapes of Wrath that year, too.

At the moment, I'm about a quarter of the way into Wolf Hall: A Novel by Hilary Mantel, and will follow it up with the sequel Bring Up The Bodies: A Novel.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I've read Anna Karenina twice, and I've read all of Austen. I read a lot of serious literature, but I'm sorry, 10th grade at 2pm (when the lunchtime sugar levels plummet) is not a time for War and Peace. Oh, not to mention there were boys to check out, and that was always more important! She attempted The Grapes of Wrath that year, too.

At the moment, I'm about a quarter of the way into Wolf Hall: A Novel by Hilary Mantel, and will follow it up with the sequel Bring Up The Bodies: A Novel.
    Well, perhaps you should give War & Peace another try now that you're older. I agree that 10th grade was probably too early. I read it first when I was about 17, I think. I had already read Anna Karenina.

I also read Wolf Hall & have Bring Up The Bodies waiting for me, because that is 'my' period in history.

I'm still working my way through 'Wolf Hall' - I haven't had as much time to read as I'd have liked lately! Having said that, if there's an upside to being off sick for a couple of days it's that I can catch up with some reading. I'm almost halfway through Lars Kelper's 'The Hypnotist' at the moment. It is dark and quite disturbing, but such a good thriller - it grips you from the first page and doesn't let go. If you enjoy dark crime thrillers, definitely give this a go - but it's not for the faint of heart.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

im still reading the heart book ann and nancy eilson