Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meeting Don

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I got to meet Don September 19, 2004. He was performing in my son's college town which is 4 1/2 hours from me. My husband was working out of town and the concert was on a Sunday night, so he wasn't able to go. I went and stayed with our son. He wasn't able to go either, so I went by myself. I sprung for the VIP and it was worth every penny to get to meet Don. I called my husband right before I left for the show and told him that if Don asked me, I would probably fly away with him and not be back!! I actually thought I might cry I was so excited about actually meeting 'that man with that voice' that I had listened to and loved since I was 16!

There were about 20 in the VIP group that evening. We were shown into a large room where drinks and snacks were laid out on a table. I happened to win a t-shirt and a zip hoodie, which I had Don autograph. After a few minutes Don entered the room and I remember thinking...."THAT'S Don Henley? He's not very big! He just looks like an ordinary average guy!" And I kept telling myself "calm down, don't cry!" Everyone got in a line and the I Love All Access gal told us that Don would sign stuff for you and you could have your picture taken with him. I was about half way down the line, so I just stared at him the whole time and kept pinching myself so I would believe it was really happening and tried to think of something intellegent to say. When it was finally my turn I know my face must have been beet red and I was just scared to death. He asked my name and how to spell it as he was signing the cds and album that I had brought. I asked him what happened to that guy on the back of the Eagles first album (with his afro hair) and he said that "he was still here only he didn't have as much hair!" We laughed and I told him that HOTM was my favorite song and he said that lots of peoples told him that. I told him how much I loved his music and to please keep touring (there had been rumors floating that he had been sick) and he said that "he was tired of it and just wanted to eat breakfast with his kids in the morning." This all lasted maybe 4-5 minutes (it went way too fast). Then it was time for me to move on and I told him thanks so much for the wonderful music all these years and we posed for our picture (and it was heavenly having his arm around me!) and it was over.

Then we went to the concert (which was fantastic) and that was one of the most memorable nights of my life!

Here's our pic. He has his usual sheepish smirk on!

https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I just got caught up reading these stories - thanks for sharing them. I love the fact that Don does these meet'n'greets for his fans, and stays after events like Caddo Lake. He must know the thrill it gives us!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Brooke that's wonderful! It's so great that Don meets with his fans I'm sure its a day you'll remember forever

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    I actually thought I might cry I was so excited about actually meeting 'that man with that voice' that I had listened to and loved since I was 16!
    I know EXACTLY how you feel, Brooke. That is a great picture of the two of you, too!

Brooke, that is a lovely picture of you and Don, and thank you so much for sharing your story! What a wonderful evening for you! I see he's wearing his favourite F1 shirt there - I like it!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

All these stories about meeting members of the Eagles are a lot of fun.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

What a cute photo, Brooke. That's great you got to meet Don.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks everyone!

Finally got around to taking a picture of my Don Hoodie!

Sorry if these are big. I don't know how to make them smaller! I'm rather 'puter challenged!

Don stood right there before my very eyes and signed it! I was deliriously happy!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh my - how exciting these stories are, ladies. Thanks for sharing them with us. I know exactly what you all are talking about with the nervousness and excitement that you feel when meeting one of our guys. It is truly something that you will always cherish. I had to laugh at those college girls kissing him on the cheek - ain't it wonderful to be so young and brave.

I would love to see a Don solo show. I had considered going to Aspen this past fall, but the airline tickets were outrageous at the time. Hopefully, I'll get another chance. If so, I'm definately doing the ILAA package if there is a meet and greet.

Brooke - love your picture and the hoodie.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    I had to laugh at those college girls kissing him on the cheek - ain't it wonderful to be so young and brave.
    You know what I have decided, dreamer? To throw caution to the wind the next time I get to do a m&G with Don and kiss him on the cheek too. Those young girls have nothing on me--I am OLD and fearless!