Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meeting Don

Aw, what a cute story that is! Thanks for posting it, timfan.

This might be a cool thread to share other "Meeting Don" stories! I actually immortalized mine on this site. See link below:

Nancy meets Don!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Soda I giggled so much when I read your "encounter." "laugh: And the reason I laughed so hard is I just KNOW that if I met Don...........one of the two exact things that you mentioned will happen. Either I would rattle on and on at 100 mph like an idiot................or I would clam up and barely say hi. I'm betting on the last one Although I would love to make a good impression LOL

lol! I'm just lucky Don was gracious and didn't act like he thought I was an idiot, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    lol! I'm just lucky Don was gracious and didn't act like he thought I was an idiot, lol.

lol! I wouldn't be so lucky!!!

Here's my Don story: I was lucky enough to meet Don in Sep 2005, when he gave his lecture on conservation at Caddo Lake at the University of North Texas outside Dallas.

That whole trip just fell into my lap. I am a freelance writer and most of the time I am only sent on travel assignments within driving distance. However, one of my new editors actually paid to fly me to Texas for an interview, and when I realized Don was speaking at the university the very next day, I decided to stay an extra day so I could hear him. The opportunity literally came out of nowhere--I couldn't believe my luck.

So, I found the campus and located the hall where Don was speaking and I found a good seat near the front of the auditorium. He walked in with all the college professors, wearing a dark suit and tie, very businesslike. He turned out to be a wonderful public speaker. Even though I read almost everything I could get my hands on about Caddo Lake and his other environmental efforts before that trip, I discovered that I always learn something new from him. He played a video at the beginning that showed how picturesque Caddo Lake really is, and he managed to breathe life into even the part of the speech that he said was filled with "boring acronyms." He said he felt funny being up there all alone because he was used to being onstage with a group of people. He also said he had to work with a lot of people in his conservation efforts but that he knew all about collaborating because "I'm in a band." He waived his reading glasses around during the whole speech but never actually put them on, which I thought was funny (especially since that I have to wear reading glasses now too). He said Dallas had had a storm the night before that knocked the power out at his house, and he had to finish writing his speech at midnight in the dark. I am always writing things at the last minute too, so I could sympathize.

Then, they announced that he would be staying afterwards for autographs. He looked very handsome in his dark suit, and when he loosened his tie for the autograph session, he looked even better. I had brought along my Heaven is Under Our Feet book just in case he stayed for autographs, so I was very happy he did. People in front of me had Hotel California albums, solo CDs, books, ticket stubs, you name it for him to sign. There was quite a long line, about 100 people I guess, and I was really nervous as I was waiting, trying to think I something intelligent to say.

When I actually got up there, he was very chatty & personable, although when he first focused those blue eyes on me, every thought I had in my head flew right out the window for a moment. Finally I found my tongue and told him that I was a writer on assignment and that I had driven through Linden (his home town) and by Caddo Lake on my way back from my interview the day before, and that I thought it was very beautiful, and I appreciated his work there. I handed him my book and spelled my name for him, and he flipped through the pages for a moment, trying to decide where to sign. Then he signed it and said "It is so nice to meet a fellow journalist." I have never been happier to be a writer than at that moment. Then I went around the table to get my picture made with him. Some of the people made him stand up for their pictures, but I just got on my knees beside his chair at the table and he put his arm around me and they took the picture. (I'll have to see if I can post that picture here. I have this ridiculously big grin on my face , and although he had been smiling at me when we were talking, he has his standard solemn expression in the picture.)

Then I had to leave and let the next person come up. He was so gracious to smile and pose with everyone who waited in line. One funny note--two young college girls in line in front of me got their picture made together with him, standing on either side of him, and right when they snapped the picture, they both turned their heads and kissed him on the cheek! He laughed and said, "That'll cost you extra!"

After I left, all I could think was, I want him to do another solo tour so he can do another meet & greet and I can talk to him again!

Those are great accounts, DF and Soda. Don sounds like a charming man to meet.

(DF, I'm with you on the reading glasses!)

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    After I left, all I could think was, I want him to do another solo tour so he can do another meet & greet and I can talk to him again!
    Great story, DonFan!

I think you would really like to kiss him like those girls did! I would!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke

Great story, DonFan!

I think you would really like to kiss him like those girls did!
    Uh........YES.

I can't believe they did that! I would have been too shy! But I'd have been THINKING "gosh I wish I was brave enough to do that" His response was cute too