Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Get over it... but complain a bit first.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Get over it... but complain a bit first.

Just heard Life In The Fast Lane. How did I not think of that one earlier? All the drug & sex references there are definitely up for discussion in this topic.

"they had one thing in common, they were good in bed"
    "they knew all the right people, they took all the right pills"
    "there were lines on the mirror"

I have to think we aren't considering just songs that may be considered controversial but lyrics that may be offensive to some also?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Well, I see a difference between "controversial" and "offensive" although certainly the two can cross. I got the idea it was more about discussing controversial issues from the songs rather than listing lyrics that other people are offended by, unless you're hoping to debate whether or not something is truly offensive. There are some lyrics I'm not comfortable with (for instance, the cussing in LITFL, the implication that it's justified to assault a woman to the point where she has to be hospitalized if she's been cheating on you in Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed, etc) but I'm more conservative than most folks here, and I know better than to try to argue that someone "should" be offended when they're not.

Still, it's ABM's thread, she can make the rules!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

To me if something offends someone, then by extension, wouldn't that make it controversial? At least, that's the way I see it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Point taken but I'm sure a lot of people may think that if something is controversial it is also offensive? I think they pretty much go hand in hand. Or am I reading more into "controversial"?

I'm thinking as Dreamer said back in the 70s some of those lyrics were "controversial". I'm sure the lyrics for Life In the Fast Lane were pretty racy and considered offensive which I would think made it controversial for that time.

I guess I'm thinking if the lyrics are offensive, it would be considered controversial also. JMO

ETA: I was typing the same time Dreamer was posting. Great minds huh?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

As I said, they can cross, but I thought (unless I misunderstood because I can't speak for ABM) that this thread was supposed to be about debate... and like I said, trying to convince someone a lyric is offensive (or vice versa) doesn't work too well.

When I said they're not the same, here's what I meant:

If something is called "offensive," it's automatically controversial as well.
    If something is called "controversial," however, it's not automatically offensive.

That's all I was trying to say.

ETA: Our first controversy: What to discuss in this thread! We're off to a great start! lol

Well - I certainly didn't intend to start a controversy with my post. I will be glad to delete it if I offended anyone.

Stop hating on me. I'm entitled to my opinion!

Of course you are as long as it agrees with everyone elses!

Dang....can't even get an agreement on the definition of Controversy

Controversy is a state of prolonged public dispute or debate, usually concerning a matter of opinion.

I usually think of Controversy as being that state in which there are a significant number of people who disagree with the opinions of another significant number of people.

In all the definitions I read, I never saw it used as a synonym of "offense" but rather a definition of a difference of opinion. It only takes one person to be offended. If you have 10,000 Republicans at a convention and one Democrat and the Democrat doesn't agree with the nomination, does that constitute a controversy? YES! The Democrat is by being at the Republican Convention a Controversy! Probably going to be offensive to some of the Republicans too.

For me, I am offended by references to violence a lot more than to references to sex or drugs....but I'm pretty open minded.

Still, I recognize that my opinions might be considered "controversial" to some. And I also admit that some of the opinions others might have may be controversial to me and still not be offensive to me. Anything I don't agree with is controversial but not everything that I deem controversial is offensive to me.

For instance: Parents forcing their children to go to Football Games is controversial (to me) when the child doesn't want to go but it isn't offensive to me. I don't believe that children should just automatically dictate the actions of the Mother and Father in every situation. But I think it controversial and offensive if parents force their children to PLAY football if they do not want to play!

But, in MUSICAL LYRICS it gets closer to home. I think that if one person finds something in lyrics that (s)he thinks is controversial and even one person disagrees, then Controversial it is. Even if we don't know what categorizes something as Controversial!

So, I think personally that if anything is listed as controversial to someone then I'll go along with it. The degree to which I'll go along with it will depend on how badly it offends me <LOL>

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

I find the lyrics of Life In The Fast Lane extremely clever with the use of sexual innuendo (see also Led Zeppelin's Trampled Under Foot) particularly 'faster, faster, the lights are turning red'. I love that line. I also love the lines to which Soda has an objection (we've been up & down that highway/haven't seen a goddamn thing) because they sum up so perfectly the emptiness of the couple's lives. However if people are uncomfortable with those lines that is fair enough. But overall, LITFL is one of the best lyrics ever written, for me.

I do agree with Soda about Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed (although Glenn didn't write it). The song takes a very murky turn indeed.