Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get over it... but complain a bit first.

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Default Get over it... but complain a bit first.

Regrettably, I cannot coax my Droid to quote from the LROE Celebration. However, Willie suggested we initiate a thread to debate the Eagles' more "controversial" tracks...

Shall we? Take umbrage with Get Over It? Dirty Laundry? Business as Usual? Something else? Air your grievances!

As the resident legal buff, may I take the liberty of inserting this prelude. By joining this thread, you assert that you understand:

1. When someone posts a counterpoint to your own argument, they do not harbor any hidden animosity toward you; they simply wish to express a contrary opinion. You know, like Felder and Frey, but without the undercurrent of animosity and impending doom. Or the guitar-smashing. Okay, rubbish example. Bottom line: no need to apologize forty thousand times, I hereby declare a truce on all fronts.

2. We're all Eagles fans here. Nobody hates Henley or Frey, so no need to raise your hackles and defend them rabidly.

3. A Møøse once bit my sister.

4. Nevermind that last bit, I just sacked myself. Go!

Default Re: Get over it... but complain a bit first.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post
    2. We're all Eagles fans here. Nobody hates Henley or Frey
    Speak for yourself. I despise the Eagles virulently and find Henley and Frey especially despicable. Indeed, I think close examination of certain passages of Revelation reveals a close resemblance between Glenn Frey and the Antichrist.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Aieeeeeee! Have I stepped into the Twilight Zone???????

MikeA

Just having a little fun, obviously, but in truth discussions of controversial songs can get quite heated. Still, I've never been afraid of a little debate, as those who have been around this board long enough can attest.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    I'd like to hear about the moose who bit ABM's sister...
    The line comes from the opening credits of Monty Python & the Holy Grail.

I am all for discussing 'controversial songs' but does this mean controversial lyrics or proclaiming that a song which many people like is not a favourite of yours (prime example for me is Love Will Keep Us Alive).

I'm all for it. But someone else will have to initiate the subject matter. Then I can go study it. Now if y'all want to discuss controversial chord progressions in Eagles songs, I'm so all down for that!

I remember one progression that the Beatles used....nothing but the chord of "C" for the entire song. Can't remember the song though but remember the progression <LOL>

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I remember one progression that the Beatles used....nothing but the chord of "C" for the entire song. Can't remember the song though but remember the progression <LOL>
    Tomorrow Never Knows

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

When I mentioned a possible new thread for this, I was speaking of the lyrics FP.

I will get back to this thread soon but for now I will just say some of my favorite Eagles songs are one that some would call controversial. To name a few...

Get Over It
    King Of Hollywood
    Dirty Laundry
    Frail Grasp Of The Big Picture

I would imagine even songs like Hotel California or Fast Company could be considered for that title by some.

Personally, it takes a heck of a lot to shock me so I'm not a bit "offended" by lyrics of any kind by anyone. I'm sure tho, that some subject matters or lyrics to some Eagles songs can be considered that. Look at the long discussion we had regarding KOH when we were doing the Long Run survivor.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Yeah, THAT was is Scarlet Sun "Tomorrow Never Knows". I just remembered it was one freaky song!

Willie, you would be negligent NOT to include "Hotel California" at least as an "honorable mention" in any list of controversial lyrics. I've actually heard ministers speaking out on the "real meanings" of the lyrics of that song. But on the other hand, that song has been analyzed to death both here and elsewhere.

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - There are a ton of controversial lyrics in Eagles songs depending on how you choose to interpret them. I can remember back in the day that lines such "I've been searching for the daughter of the devil himself" and "How come you still got his gun in your hand?" created quite a bit of "discussion". Now days we just don't even notice some of the lyrics that created controversy in the '70's. Even from the beginning of the Eagles, some folks complained about the innuendo of some of the lines in Take It Easy (open up, I'm climbin' in), Witchy Woman (rock you in the nighttime 'til your skin turns red), and Peaceful Easy Feeling (I wanna sleep with you in the desert tonight). These were all pretty bold for that time. One, in particular, that I remember my mom finding offensive was "every girl's a fork in the road" from Good Day In Hell. Of course, she wasn't even crazy about the title of the song.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016