Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Tribute Bands

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: An Eagles tribute!!

Very cool for you, chaim! Will you get to go?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh wow! That is very cool. I also hope you get to go, chaim. Not that I want to hear about it or anything like that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

GREAT NEWS

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, I will go. It's the city where my girlfriend now lives (even the same big building where she works!), so it's a familiar city.

I told my dad about it, and he told one of his brothers. So now both of them will come too with their wives.

If they played only the hits, I'm not sure if would be worth the 29 euros for me. But when I read that they will play the whole Desperado album too, I cannot miss this. I'm pretty sure that Bitter Creek will be the highlight of the concert for me.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Very cool for you, Chaim!! Definitely let us know how it goes.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Eagles Tribute Bands

BTW I decided to merge threads with the other Tribute Bands, just for convenience.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, makes sense. I didn't post the "announcement" here, because it seems to be a one-off gig and this thread is probably for serious Eagles tribute bands who keep on doing it. But it found a home nicely in this thread.

It sounds like the ultimate Eagles tribute, actually! lol I hope you have a blast.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The Eagles tribute show was cool. The only complaints were that some of the singers didn't seem to know the songs too well lyrically. They had the lyrics on some monitors. And also sometimes some of them messed with the rhythm of the lyrics - like singing the lyric in the second verse with the rhythm of the first verse. Sometimes there were different lyrics. "Plough" in Waiting In The Weeds was "path", which was really weird. But this is stuff that probably doesn't bother an average concert-goer here in Finland!

The greatest surprise was the two encores: No More Walks In The Wood and Waiting In The Weeds. It was great that even the second half wasn't just a greatest hits show, although there were hits too. I think it was brave, since there probably weren't that many people in the audience who recognized NMWITW and WITW! I've said before that my dad is a Glenn fan too. He hasn't heard the LROOE album, and when WITW started I told him this one ís a fantastic song from the "new" album. He asked "a Glenn Frey song?". "Don Henley", I said, and he seemed a bit disappointed. I hope he liked the song though.

Like I said earlier, the first half of the concert consisted of the whole Desperado album. I was really waiting for Bitter Creek, and I was very disappointed, because it was the only song from that album that was in a different key! The original is in D, and this was in A, so it sounded very different. Also, the superb guitar riff before "an old man told me" was slightly different.

The harmonies were great and they mostly sang well. They played very well indeed. My only complaint about the playing is that a lot of the guitar solos were improvised. I would have loved to hear Glenn's solo in Certain Kind Of Fool, for example.

Oh, and they also had an accordion on a few songs. The harmonica line in Doolin-Dalton was played on the accordion, for example. Worked really well. I think it was on Saturday Night and WITW as well. Sounded fantastic.

The songs they played were:

Desperado album

Seven Bridges Road
    Take It Easy
    Life In The Fast Lane (a fantastic version!)
    Love Will Keep Us Alive (I've never liked this song until now!)
    Witchy Woman (would have loved to hear Glenn's solo)
    Get Over It (they probably wanted some rockers in the set...But this worked. However, to me this one is much more a lyric song than a music song. Again, not sure if most people knew the lyrics, but a fast tempo in itself of course works live...)
    New Kid In Town
    Wasted Time (my father's wife loved this. Hadn't heard it before.)
    One Of These Nights (Three semitones higher. Sounded a bit different at first. Some of the basslines in the chorus sounded a bit too high in this key...)
    Already Gone
    Hotel California (a FANTASTIC version)

Encores:

NMWITW
    WITW
    Last edited by chaim; 02-14-2015 at 08:26 AM.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Sounded like a good show! It must have been cool to see Desperado played live in full even with the changes to Bitter Creek. It was pretty brave to go for two LROOE songs as an encore, especially considering that neither of them was How Long (which is more likely to be recognised than most of the others as the Eagles played live in the 1970s).

One thing I did notice was that the ballads were spread out about a bit more than in a typical Eagles show - New Kid In Town and Wasted Time were played late in the set, while Love Will Keep Us Alive sits between the much more rocking LIFTL and Witchy Woman. The setlist for the HOTE concerts is determined by chronology for the first set, but if you look at most Eagles setlists over the years they've always tended to play the ballads or country/bluegrass songs first and then played the rockers (including the Joe songs) later. I even remember a video from the HC tour - can't remember offhand which song I was, think it might have been Midnight Flyer, where Glenn says something like 'it's great that you're happy to sit while we play 5 or 6 ballads at the start, now we'll get to the rock songs'. Definitely not word perfect but that was the essence of what he was saying. I don't think they're alone in this regard, look at the sequencing of Neil Young's Live Rust, for instance.