Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey Online turns 5!

Default Glenn Frey Online turns 5!

Well, it's hard to believe, but I officially opened Glenn Frey Online 5 years ago today, on Glenn's birthday back in 2005.

I really got into the Eagles, especially Glenn, hardcore in the summer of 2005 and decided that since there wasn't a Glenn Frey site around, I would make one. At the time, I never even expected to see him or the Eagles perform live, much less meet him. I just wanted to make a site that would feature him.

It started small. I spent months just figuring out and coding the layout (I had just taken a class in .css coding and was itching to try it out).

There was no message board, no downloads (except one mp3 and one video which I cycled weekly), no rotating sidebar, no "fun facts," no solo tour archive, no golf archive, no "Quotable Frey," no filmography with screen shots and video clips.... in fact, I didn't even know of the existence of some of the videos back then (ie, River of Dreams). I did have one wallpaper, about four avatars, and four icons for folks to download.

The biggest section back then was my super-thorough Eagles / Frey discography, with everything transcribed from the lyrics down to the liner notes. It took me FOREVER to do that.

Since I was starting from scratch and had so little content, I remember putting every little mention of Glenn I got through Google alerts on the front page! lol

But I kept adding content... and adding.... and adding...

After a couple years, I made the other sites, and therefore got more and more and more and more on my plate.... so much so that I kind of feel overwhelmed. I'm still glad I did them, though! Each guy deserves his own fan site.

But Glenn Frey Online is the flagship. It's the one that started it all, and it is the one I am most proud of.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this site - there are so many people who have sent me stuff and helped me gather content - and of course thanks the people who visit it and have made it #1 on Google for several years now.

And of course, thanks to Glenn Frey, whose music inspired it all in the first place.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Glenn Frey Online turns 5!

You have done a great job with these fan sites Soda. I (along with many others, I'm sure) always enjoy coming on here! Congrats on the 5 year anniversary of GFO

Happy anniversary GFO! Thank you Soda for your fabulous fan sites and all the time and effort you put into making them great.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Happy 5. anniversary GFO!
    Soda, thank you for your great and engaged work for GFO, and all your other fan sites!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Happy 5th Anniversary GFO

Soda you've done a brilliant job with these fan sites, you should be very proud of your achievement..........and I loved reading about how it all started!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

..from the bottom of my heart...my most profound....THANK YOU SODA!!!!

HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY !

It's interesting to hear how a site that I stumbled on accidentally back in 2008 came to be. Soda, you have so much to be proud of. I know you feel overwhelmed, but please know that your hard work is so much appreciated! Happy 5th GFO!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY GLENN FREY ONLINE!!!

To quote a certain wavy-haired singer, songwriter, musician ...

"And here's how it all started" ...

I can't believe it's been five years. Boy, time flies when you're having fun. (Is that a quotable Frey saying too?) As many of you know, I have been a huge Eagles fan from the band's beginning and always had shared my love equally between Glenn and Don. However, just a couple of weeks before GFO opened, I had attended the Eagles concert in Oakland, CA where Glenn stole my heart and 'chose' me forever. So right in the middle of my new obsession with him, I was elated to learn Soda had made a fansite for him. Not too long after that, she started Flip City, which was the very small private message board predecessor to The Border. And as they say - the rest is history. It has been great being along for the ride and these sites have literally changed my life.

There's no way I would have ever figured when I got a frantic PM from Soda in November, 2005 wanting to meet up at the Sacramento show that we'd still be doing this five years later. My mind wanders back just two weeks ago, when I drove almost 10 hours to meet up with her in Louisville to see our beloved Eagles. And BTW - I still love Don, too. And Joe. And Timothy.

Congratulation, Nancy! You have a lot to be proud of with all of the sites, but, like you, Glenn Frey Online is also special to me since it was the beginning of all of this.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Dreamer, I'm assuming you and Soda met through Flip City - am I correct?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

No - we were briefly both members of another message board, but had not interacted much at all. I had posted that KarenZ and I were going to the Sacramento concert, and literally within about an hour before I left for the airport, I got a PM from Nancy wanting to meet up out there. She and Perfect Little Sister had decided to go at the very last minute. That show was on Nov. 19th. After we got back, Nancy opened the Flip City message board within a few weeks.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016