Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Default Re: Eagles YouTube videos

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43g0GgsV2mU

decided to record it since it's snowing outside and Christmas is close
    Great! Nice guitar too! Dunno why I just now saw this.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Default Re: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

I just got over here too Shadowland and saw your vid. Nice! Tell us about your gear.

MikeA

Austin,

Question

"New Kid In Town", why is it that the songs that do not initially intrigue me end up being the ones that I end up infatuated with a need to learn?. That same thing happened when I first heard that "I Dreamed There Was No War" won a Grammy for Glenn Frey. It wasn't until I learned the song and began playing it that I gained an appreciation for it.

That wasn't my question though.

It is one of technique. That little opening riff in "NKIT". 4 notes. 4th and 3rd strings on the 9th fret and the 7th fret on the 2nd string. I seem to hear a "slide" from that 7th fret to the 9th fret on the "B" string. My fingers don't bend in those directions <LOL> I can hammer it on with my pinky but even that gets awfully crowded forming that "A" chord up on the 9th with three fingers instead of a short bar.

How do you do it? Or do you play that one?

Also, that immediate switch to 7th fret on the "B" string and 6th on the "G" string with a slide to the 8th on the "G" string. I can almost do that but usually resort to a hammer-on to the 8th. But that initial configuration, it's a form that is backwards. The closest form to it is a "D" but that is on different strings. My "muscle memory" isn't working for that quick switch.

Thought maybe there was a trick I'm not seeing.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Austin,

Question

"New Kid In Town", why is it that the songs that do not initially intrigue me end up being the ones that I end up infatuated with a need to learn?. That same thing happened when I first heard that "I Dreamed There Was No War" won a Grammy for Glenn Frey. It wasn't until I learned the song and began playing it that I gained an appreciation for it.

That wasn't my question though.

It is one of technique. That little opening riff in "NKIT". 4 notes. 4th and 3rd strings on the 9th fret and the 7th fret on the 2nd string. I seem to hear a "slide" from that 7th fret to the 9th fret on the "B" string. My fingers don't bend in those directions <LOL> I can hammer it on with my pinky but even that gets awfully crowded forming that "A" chord up on the 9th with three fingers instead of a short bar.

How do you do it? Or do you play that one?

Also, that immediate switch to 7th fret on the "B" string and 6th on the "G" string with a slide to the 8th on the "G" string. I can almost do that but usually resort to a hammer-on to the 8th. But that initial configuration, it's a form that is backwards. The closest form to it is a "D" but that is on different strings. My "muscle memory" isn't working for that quick switch.

Thought maybe there was a trick I'm not seeing.
    Those NKIT electric parts are Felder parts, and therefore my other guitarist Steve plays them and I just play the rhythm parts. But, I will try to work it out and help you out. I'll have to learn Felder's intro. I do believe there is a "slide in" part.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Working on a Carol to post here. Problem is that it's taking forever to figure out how all the editing in Reaper works. But I've got an arpeggio foundation laid with all the chords and am now working on the VOX for it....not my vocals. I don't have near the range for this one. But my Telecaster has all the "range" I need.

Hopefully in the next day or so.

MikeA

Back with a bang!

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=strat.mp4

Another piece of information I forgot to mention in the video is that because I'm blind in one of my eyes, I can't drive.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 12-07-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Great work on the Strat Austin. Man, turn you loose with a DAW and a good interface, and you could be putting out just about anything you could dream up! Complete with ALL PARTS!

Okay, I understand a bit better now. I really had no idea that you were dealing with so many different issues. Hang onto that guitar through it all though. It seems to be and should be for you your "touchstone" that Provides Anchor!

I had a guitar pick that I kept up on my computer case...saw it every time I sat down at my desk. It had printed on it, "Have You Hugged Your Guitar Today?"

MikeA

Great work on the Strat Austin. Man, turn you loose with a DAW and a good interface, and you could be putting out just about anything you could dream up! Complete with ALL PARTS!

Okay, I understand a bit better now. I really had no idea that you were dealing with so many different issues. Hang onto that guitar through it all though. It seems to be and should be for you your "touchstone" that Provides Anchor!

I had a guitar pick that I kept up on my computer case...saw it every time I sat down at my desk. It had printed on it, "Have You Hugged Your Guitar Today?"
    Thanks! I like that Strat. I have one more video coming up with a Tele.

Yeah I have several medical issues I've had since birth. And I always have depression in the winter (seasonal affective disorder or SAD). But it's just hard for me right now with everything going on. And the fact winter is so lonely. My dog was my companion and now he is gone so it makes it worse.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I'll go ahead and link to this one even though I haven't finished it yet. I posted it in another thread, but it ought to be here.

"O Holy Night"

I did this one with a clean signal into Reaper and then added a little reverb to the background arpeggios. The lead on it is a model labeled as "1987 Jazz Clean" to which I removed the delay but left the "verb" effects in on it.

To get the constant timing needed for the arpeggios in the background, I just recorded each chord until I got it "perfect" and saved that measure. I then cut and pasted the chords in sequence into the main background track.

Chords are all in the open position: "C" "F" "G" "Em" "B7" "Am" and "Dm".

MikeA

I'll go ahead and link to this one even though I haven't finished it yet. I posted it in another thread, but it ought to be here.

"O Holy Night"

I did this one with a clean signal into Reaper and then added a little reverb to the background arpeggios. The lead on it is a model labeled as "1987 Jazz Clean" to which I removed the delay but left the "verb" effects in on it.

To get the constant timing needed for the arpeggios in the background, I just recorded each chord until I got it "perfect" and saved that measure. I then cut and pasted the chords in sequence into the main background track.

Chords are all in the open position: "C" "F" "G" "Em" "B7" "Am" and "Dm".
    Very cool Mike. I might try to experiment with my recording stuff tonight!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger