Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Default Re: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    That was great SS. I'm sure you guys had a blast in that recording studio!
    Yeah, it's groovy to live right around the corner from an excellent recording studio. We did have a blast on that day, but we were in there again for about 14 hours this past Saturday, and there were at least two moments of great fright. Hopefully, I will tell you about this in a week or so . . .

Okay, I'm all ears!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think we non-musicians always feel a little awed when we see all that music equipment!
    I don't think I'd describe my feelings for "all that music equipment" "awe". I'd describe it more as a terrible LUST! "They" have all that "stuff" there that I'd give crucial parts of my anatomy for!

Acoustically prepared room for vocals and instruments including DRUMS. Everything isolated. Microphones for every desire imaginable. Digital and Analog recording equipment to tweak perfection out of every note.

I'm trying to do that with freebie and $40 software along with audio hardware that I mortgaged my son for....couldn't mortgage my daughter since she has to take care of Miles....but I put her husband up as collateral!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I don't think I'd describe my feelings for "all that music equipment" "awe". I'd describe it more as a terrible LUST! "They" have all that "stuff" there that I'd give crucial parts of my anatomy for!
    +1 Mike but then again I am a musician, having played professionally for a few years and playing in other groups but I don't write my own music, but as I mentioned above I went into a studio once to lay down some lead on a good friend's blues track.

I think that if I had it all to do over Guys, I'd probably think more seriously about getting into Sound Engineering. Not being a musician myself, working with those who are would have been terribly gratifying and in the knowledge that you added something to their sound (hopefully they would have been good enough not to need much of anything added but clean audio signal).

Back when I'd have been doing it, it would have been with a razor blade and a mitre box for tape. I've done a lot of that with 1/4" 2-channel tape, but it's not quite the same as that 8-channel stuff in the old studios.

Oh well, it would have been a toss-up between that and Programming Computers and programming has been good to me if not kind.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    it would have been with a razor blade
    that's exactly what we had to use

Stuck on the Border

I had to go work on my friend Ron's computer this weekend and so I had the chance to play his 1976 Gibson Hummingbird. Love that guitar. I took my laptop so I used my webcam and took a video. I recorded "Take It Easy" and sang it as well. It's a great sounding guitar. He's a great friend of mine. He says he will leave it to me in his will. He sounded halfway serious on that actually, but I won't hold my breath. He is about 67, and a really nice person. He has lots of guitars. He doesn't play much, but he's got a nice guitar collection. I love this Hummingbird, it's a great guitar. It nails that Eagles acoustic guitar tone too.

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=tie.mp4

It's definitely a Gibby and it definitely sounds great! I haven't been playing acoustic much here lately myself but did drag the Seagull out a couple of weeks ago (keep it in a hardshell case with those pads to soak out moisture.) I like the sound of an acoustic...especially played through my Acoustasonic with the amp mic'd....a touch of reverb and on some songs, chorus.

While out in Vegas, there was an act on the stage between Four-Queens and Fitzgerald's (we were staying at the Fitz) and they had a guy there up front who had a vocal range that just wouldn't stop and a dude on guitar (Strat) who really knew how to play it. They did killer version of ZZ-Top's "La Grange". I got home and figured out the boogie intro (a little run in Am). Even pounded out the rimshots on the drums. Still working on the lead and the rest of the chord progression.

MikeA

If you've already listened to this, clear your cache and refresh your browser and give it another listen. I sped it up and did a better percussion track and I think, did a better improv on the solo. I used the same procedure in recording it as before.

Here's one I recorded this morning. Inspired by Billy Gibon's "La Grange" boogie beat intro in "Am", I used it as a backing and added an improv solo then started playing around with my drum pads. I now wish that I had a bass to give it some bottom.

I did the guitar work using my looper on the ME-25 pedal. Started with a loop with the Am chord bass run and plucked accent notes. Then over that loop and still using the looper, I recorded the solo into the loop.

After that, I plugged the result recorded in the pedal into REAPER and recorded it. Finally, I added the drum beat playing over the guitar part in real time using my Yamaha drum pads.
    Last edited by MikeA; 03-09-2011 at 03:41 PM.

MikeA

Austin, loved your video! What a beautiful guitar!

Mike, your clip is cute, too. Kind of jazzy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten