Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Default Re: Member's Sound Bytes and Vids

Here is my Tele video. NOTE: If you haven't seen my return to the border Strat video, go back a page and watch it first, it explains a lot!

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=tele.mp4
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Tele's are pretty amazing. I mean, most people think that they are built for "country" with all the twang. Set up right though, they can put out dripping gobs of tone and they "handle" so sweet. I've learned to really appreciate them over the past couple of years and now, my Tele is more and more my "go to" instrument. It fits me better than the LP (neck shape mainly). It feels more like my 335-clone. Love both of them, but the Tele is more comfortable to hold. That Sheraton II is a big handfull!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Tele's are pretty amazing. I mean, most people think that they are built for "country" with all the twang. Set up right though, they can put out dripping gobs of tone and they "handle" so sweet. I've learned to really appreciate them over the past couple of years and now, my Tele is more and more my "go to" instrument. It fits me better than the LP (neck shape mainly). It feels more like my 335-clone. Love both of them, but the Tele is more comfortable to hold. That Sheraton II is a big handfull!
    Tele's are my favorite Fender guitar. Nothing wrong with Strats, but I find Tele's to be better suited for what I do. I have 5 Teles, and only 1 non-humbucker Strat, that should tell you something. I'd seriously like to get another Strat at some point though, something with a Maple neck. I'd like to get a rosewood neck Tele too. All of my Strats are RW and all of my Teles are Maple. Not on purpose, it's just how it worked out. Les Pauls and Teles are my favorite instruments from the 50s. I like SGs for that hard rock stuff and I like Strats but LP and Tele is where it's at for me. I find Strats to not have the thickness of a Tele when you overdrive it. Call me crazy, but I think my Teles sound fatter than my Strat. That's why I go to them more often. But I still love my Strat. It's a good guitar, it's just that I prefer Teles just a bit more. I think it's just the fact it's a simple workhorse type guitar.

Teles are THE most versatile guitar. I've heard people say the Strat is the most versatile guitar but I disagree. I've seen Teles in Country, Rockabilly, Rock, Blues, Metal, Punk, Funk, and all that junk! I've seen Strats in Country, Rock, and Blues. Strats IMO are less versatile than a tele. You put a humbucker pickup in the neck position of the tele and a single coil tele pickup in the bridge, you have one versatile instrument. That's what Keith Richards does. He puts humbuckers in the neck. I have one Tele with a HB in the neck, and it's a very versatile instrument. Can twang, sing, and SCREAM!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Well, for what it's worth, I've done about all I intend to do with "O Holy Night" now. I completely "redid" it using nothing but Tele recorded DRY. I digitally added the reverb to it with my DAW (Reaper). Really, the effort was one that let me get my feet wet with the new DAW and I have to say I rather like it.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

I haven't a clue what you're talking about Mike but I like it, sounds really good!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Great clip Mike - sounds great!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

By "DRY" TG, I simply meant that there were no effects at all in place in the audio stream. It was a Telecaster, so there was a little coloration simply because of the pickups but basically, it sounded like an acoustic guitar on both parts...the background arpeggios which are really just the chords being "picked" rather than strummed...and the "lead" which was just as "plain".

I then used my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) "Reaper" to get the tracks lined up, redid any mistakes and overdubbed them, then selected the sound effects for the guitar. I selected nothing but a REVERB to add "air" to the melody. In addition, I added just a touch of distortion to give it a little more character.

As for the background arpeggios, they are recorded and left DRY. Just an acoustic sound. Usually, I will add just a little reverb or chorus to background chords, but I found that doing that "confused" the ear with the background competing too much with the lead for prominence. So I left it completely dry.

MikeA

If you guys would like, I could record some simple examples of "dry" tracks and then that same track with effects like echo, phaser, flanger, reverb, chorus, octavia, distortion and overdrive, whatever. There are thousands of effects that take a colorless sound and turn it into something hopefully more pleasant to listen to. The new DAW thread over in Cheap Talk And Wine would be the place for such stuff.

Let me know if you want me to do that.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Hey Mike, if it wouldn't be too much trouble for you that'd be great - being able to hear what you're talking about might help!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

No Problem. I'll do it tonight and give you 8 or 10 different effects on the same measure of something just so you can hear what I'm talking about.

MikeA