Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Casting an Imaginary Tribute Concert

Default Re: Casting an Imaginary Tribute Concert

....I was thinking David Grey could do something like "Peaceful Easy Feeling" in his own special way...

..c'est ca, on est parti!!!!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowland07 View Post
    I can also see The Black Keys doing "Witchy Woman."

Oooooh!!! LOVE this idea!!!

Great thread AM. I will need to think about this and get back with it.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Freypower, I love love love Stevie Wonder for Witchy Woman! Oooh, that'd be #1 on my iPod, easily.

Shadowland, Damon Albarn for Thrill – what an interesting choice; I love blur, and bet he could pull it off. Can’t get on board with the John Mayer concept, though. I don’t want that thing anywhere near my favorite Eagles song. J

Thanks Willie! I'm so glad you guys seem to enjoy the concept as much as I do!

Btw, I inserted the track listing as an attempt to keep the undertaking manageable, not impose constraints – so, if you’re feeling ambitious, have at it.

I wish I had a greater familiarity with some of these artists…. Definitely going to have to enlist the assistance of youtube to keep up with everyone!

I'm going to have to give some thought to this, too. Great ideas!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Holllllly cow soda is that a rockin' picture of Glenn. I'm positively flustered.

This is pathetic but so far all I can say is

Heartache Tonight - Foreigner
    Lyin' Eyes - Country Joe McDonald and the Fish
    Desperado - Rod Stewart
    One Of These Nights - Four Seasons
    Best Of My Love -Brooks and Dunn
    New Kid In Town - Garth Brooks
    I Can't Tell You Why - Toby Keith
    Tequila Sunrise - Air Supply
    After The Thrill Is Gone - John Mellencamp
    7 Bridges Road - Statler Brothers
    Life In The Fast Lane - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    Take It Easy - Dwight Yoakam
    Hotel California - Elton John
    Already Gone - Journey
    Sad Cafe - Cold Play
    Long Run - Wilco
    TITTL - Buffalo Springfield
    PEF - Jay Black
    Victim Of Love - Brad Paisley

Notice that my choices, for some odd reason, are leaning hard to country???? Anyway, this is my choice, what I'd like to hear.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Stuck on the Border

I think those are interesting choices, Pueblo.

I am not sure Desperado would be right for Rod Stewart. I think he would be better with a song like The Sad Cafe or Take It To The Limit. He could probably also do Victim Of Love.

I didn't try & do a full list. I should say though that most of my choices were English (or Irish - Van) - I notice that my only American choice, Stevie Wonder, received positive comments.

The Eagles are after all the quintessential American band & I should have chosen more American artists. I would suggest that James Taylor or Art Garfunkel could do the sacred New Kid In Town. Paul Simon could do I Can't Tell You Why (if you know Something So Right from There Goes Rhymin' Simon you may understand this choice).

I wouldn't choose Bruce Springsteen for any of these songs except perhaps Life In The Fast Lane. He's East Coast, the Eagles are West Coast.

Another hero of mine, although also very East Coast, Billy Joel, could perhaps do One Of These Nights.

I haven't chosen anyone for Lyin' Eyes because I am afraid I cannot envisage the thought of anyone else singing it. Although I feel that way about NKIT, I could deal with it if it were done properly (I didn't suggest Knopfler for it because he hasn't got the range).

What about Glenn's old mate Bob Seger? Heartache Tonight is too obvious (he co-wrote it) but he probably could do a good Best Of My Love (think of The Famous Final Scene, anyone who knows that).

I just had a hard time thinking of anyone else besides the Common Thread country artists doing it, the Eagles are just stuck in my mind on these songs. The other tenor bands like Journey and the Four Seasons, maybe Foreigner, could maybe pull it off to my satisfaction.

Stevie Wonder is still a great pick. Rod Stewart came to mind because of his raspy voice, rather than the Boss.

Glenn's songs are strictly HIS songs, no one else can really do them with the same feeling.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Stuck on the Border

But you could say that about Don too. I really wouldn't want to hear anyone else sing Hotel California. I have heard Glenn sing Life In The Fast Lane. I thought he did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    This is pathetic but so far all I can say is

Heartache Tonight - Foreigner

Life In The Fast Lane - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    I agree with these two. Interesting thread... I find this really hard, because as I think a couple of you have said, we're used to hearing The Eagles sing these songs all the time. I'm still thinking about who I would choose...