Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Don and Stevie

Default Re: Don and Stevie

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I guess I just think it seems odd (and even a little bit "icky") that at that particular time in his life, Don would have been writing a song about any one particular woman other than his wife, no matter what the song were about.
    There's always the possibility that it wasn't exactly written during THAT time in his life. Perhaps it was written long before and just happened to surface for that album? Who knows. lol

Honestly I don't see anything "icky" about it at all. Don is an artist who draws inspiration from his life experiences. Since the woman of the past is disowned here... I really don't get how this is "icky." Lindsey Buckingham is married with three kids and he still writes about Stevie in songs like "Say Goodbye."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    There's always the possibility that it wasn't exactly written during THAT time in his life. Perhaps it was written long before and just happened to surface for that album? Who knows. lol
    That is very true Maleah. I'm not sure when the song was written although stylistically it seems to fit into the same time period as other songs from the Inside Job album, IMHO. But, I agree - who knows?

As far as it seeming "icky" that Don would be writing songs about other women during this time, I guess that's all in the way you look at it. I guess Soda and I will have to just agree to disagree on this one. Maybe I'm selfish, but I don't think I'd be too happy if my 'significant other' was writing songs about a specific woman in his past, artist or not. JMHO

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'd have to agree with Dreamer on this. (Surprise!) I would not be a happy camper if my husband/s.o. was writing songs about a past lover! Nope, not at all!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

If the song had been a "miss you, still love you, want you back" type of song, I'd agree with the "ick" factor, but we're talking about Miss Ghost.

What dirty tricks the mind can play in the lonely dead of night
    When you bump into the shadows of a faded love that wasn't right

And even though you've come for me
    I won't go back with you to some temporary heaven
    Down some dead-end avenue

But its been good to have you here
    And I propose a toast
    "Here's to seeing through you" Miss Ghost

Doesn't sound like much of a love song to me.
    And if its true that you write about what you know -- what your life's experiences have been -- then it makes even more sense that he'd write about past loves and personal conflicts. I see it more of a timeline reference of his former bachelor life and his current family life, not a
    lost-love song.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    And if its true that you write about what you know -- what your life's experiences have been -- then it makes even more sense that he'd write about past loves and personal conflicts. I see it more of a timeline reference of his former bachelor life and his current family life, not a lost-love song.
    Yeah I agree with this on this, HH. I didn't mean to imply that it would be ickey for Don to write about his past experiences, including women in his past. My objection would be to him writing songs about a specific woman in his past, no matter what the context. But, like I said ,that's just me. If others don't have a problem with it, that is certainly their prerogative.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stevie tells the story of Don advising her on "Dreams" again in her latest interview (the bolded parts are the interviewer's comments):
    Sometimes when I write a song, [...] I have a little overhead lightbulb thing that goes off, so then I’m never going to go back and change that even though a good example is Don Henley—I was going out with Don Henley when I was writing “Dreams,” and it says [sings], “When the rain washes you clean, you’ll know.” Well, he didn’t like that [sings]“washes you” [accent on “es”], and he wanted me to go, “When the rain washes you clean” [accent on “wash”]. And I’m like, “No, I don’t like it.” [laughs] And he’s like, “Well, wash-ES doesn’t sound good,” and I’m like, “Well, wash-ES is the way it’s gonna be.” So then you start getting into that with somebody, and we’re talking an ego [of] a fantastic songwriter here. So I’m arguing with Don Henley over this, you know? That’s why I really stayed away from writing songs with other people.

Especially men, I guess.

Well, yeah, and but then if you slip it over to women, then of course women are more sensitive. So then you’re really actually going to hurt somebody’s feelings. It didn’t hurt Don’s feelings that I didn’t like his idea. I think he just—he was like, way more famous than me, you know, Don Henley and the Eagles—so I think he probably just thought, “Well, you’re an idiot.” And just left it at that because certainly, me not liking the word “washes” is not going to wreck Don Henley’s confidence. But at the same time, it was a little thorn there for a moment.

It’s interesting that you say, “He was way more famous than me.” In retrospect—and it’s so strange to ask a question like this: “Do you guys ever sit there and consider who is more famous?”—but honestly, as time has gone by, wouldn’t you say it’s pretty much equaled out?

Well, maybe. But then, that was—well, when was “Dreams”? Was “Dreams” on the first or second record; I can never remember—whatever, when Lindsey and I drove to Los Angeles in 1971, “Witchy Woman” was on the radio, “One of These Nights” was on the radio, and we were totally inspired by them and by their amazing harmonies and amazing song craftsmanship. So in my little mind, this was two years—1976 is when it was, because that’s when I went out with Don—so in my mind, they had been famous for a good solid five, six years longer than than we had been famous. So I was listening to the Eagles long before I even knew if we’d make it or not. There’s bands that are famous—well it’s generations —five years before us, and then us, and there’s the five-years-after-us generation, and then there’s even older than that, which would be Eric Clapton and his generation, a little bit older than the Eagles generation. So that’s actually like a two-year-older generation, so each one of those generations brought up these amazing bands, so I, Stevie Nicks, would open for the Eagles in a second because they’re awesome and they were my big inspiration.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    so I, Stevie Nicks, would open for the Eagles in a second because they’re awesome and they were my big inspiration.
    Now wouldn't that be awesome?!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Now wouldn't that be awesome?!
    Very!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Now wouldn't that just top off a 40th anniversary tour!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low