Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe's Harmonies in the Eagles

Default Joe's Harmonies in the Eagles

In another thread, I was talking about Stevie Nicks in some backstage footage from 1977 showing off a pendant she got from Don. I mentioned that the backstage footage reminded me of the opening segment of the 1977 Hotel California video where they are backstage singing Seven Bridges Road and then prepping to go onstage.

We got to talking about Joe's harmonies, so I moved the comments over here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Joe's Harmonies in the Eagles

Aww--how sweet! Do you think she still has that pendant? I wonder.

And thanks for my morning spine chill! That SBR segment always gives me goosebumps! Beautiful.

A question about that and maybe this is the wrong place to approach it but it reminded me while I was listening to it. We just had a discussion in one of the new review threads regarding Joe not really singing some of the harmony (was it SBR? I don't remember.). Anyways, I'm assuming he IS singing in this clip and meshing fine. What changed and when do you suppose? Has there really been that big of a change in his voice over the years? Just wondering what others theories or opinions are on this.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

It was No More Walks in the Wood where we noticed he wasn't really singing - maybe it's harder and he still sings on SBR?

But I see your point about the blending. Maybe his voice really has changed that much. Their voices have all changed, really, especially Glenn's. I think Tim's is the closest to its old sound, but the rest.... not as much. Still pleasing to the ear, of course, but not the same.

Default Re: Joe's Harmonies in the Eagles

Aren't Joe's lead vocals in a much higher range than his harmonies?

I think so. As I mentioned in another thread, you can hear his lower harmonies pretty well at the end of this version of Best of My Love from 1976.

After the Austin show, my brother-in-law commented that he couldn't really hear the low end on SBR like he could hear it in his expensive sound system when he played Hell Freezes Over. I privately thought That version was probably overdubbed and mixed to perfection but I said, "Well, maybe the guys just have a different arrangement now that it's in a different key."

Or maybe Felder doubled it on HFO

I think that's probably true for the HFO mix, but it doesn't seem Felder contributed much vocally when they performed it back in the day. In that clip he is barely shown and the same is true for other vids from that time; he's not spotlit - obviously, he is at a mic singing, but is it like with Joe now where it's just for looks? There had to be a reason they didn't light him.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbqBAuEphw[/ame]

BTW, how cute is Glenn with his harmonica and Eagles T-shirt? I also love what he says afterwards at about 3:25: "We enjoy comin' up here to the microphone and just singin' like that. Gets us off." Don: "Makes me dizzy." LOL

I have heard Joe say it and have seen it written in books something on the order of "If you want to get a place in a band, learn to sing that 5th like David Crosby. If you can do that, you'll be assured a position in a band as long as you desire."

I suspect that Joe's part in most of the "harmony tunes" he sings, is the part that you don't hear until it is missing...much like the parts that the Cros sang with CSN&Y and CSN.

MikeA

I have to admit that even if Joe was "just there for looks", I wouldn't mind. I've heard folks say this before, but I really think Joe sings most of the time. When I was in the 2nd row directly in front of Joe at Columbus last year, I could hear him through the air as opposed to being amplified. Plus the evidence of spit (sorry) flying thru the air. It's usually the bass equivalent. It's not very flashy and hard to sing loud, that's up to the mixer, but it fills out the chord and gives the Eagles that rich, full sound we all love. He also does some breathing technique for timing -Breathe In-Blow out-inhale-sing kinda thing. I was in band, not choir, so I don't know that stuff, we just inhaled and blew, lol. In the video extra from FW1, they show the making of hole in the world with them working on the chorus a capella you can clearly hear his part, and then pick it out when they perform it. They also do that backstage part of James Dean you can pick him out.
    He's always said he never wanted to sing lead, he's a guitar player. People have made fun of his voice since '68, but he's still at it. Wonder where "they" are?
    If it's three part (1st, 3rd, 5th notes), or he's got a solo, slide groove or something going on other than playing rhythm, he backs out. Tim, Don and Glenn handle that. When they're doing 4 part (add the 7th) or 5 part (add the octave-Timothy's part), Joe's usually is singing the 1st note, or sometimes the 3rd. When it's his song and he's got the lead, that all goes out the window. It is my belief he sings most of the time, but when you've got, what 9 singers on stage counting all the guys? there's room for backing out when necessary, especially with the amount of solos he's got. I thought Steu seems to sing more than Felder did, may be that's filling in for him and Joe some, dunno. If they're doing 4ths and 6th intervals for the 5 part, I could plainly hear him because it's a little higher note. Each song, with all the different keys they use, has it's own requirements that need fulfilled, and I'm sure Don and Glenn have that all laid out by now. Whatever it is, it sure sounds great!
    Last edited by jdubfan; 10-24-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

I remember one interview where Don talked about No More Walks in the Wood as "Trademark Eagles 5-part Harmony" - which would include both Steuart and Joe, presumably (unless they're overdubbing someone's voice more than once or Don misspoke). Maybe Joe does just back off a bit live occasionally but still sings harmonies the majority of the time.