Page 70 of 195 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don in the press

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Thanks for the links, Nancy. I found this particularly interesting in the last link:

"What if only one page contains infringing material and the rest is perfectly legal?"

I wonder if this means that if somebody makes a comment on an article and posts a link in their comment, that this would be infringing material?
    I could easily see this type of thing happening. Already this kind of "scorched earth" policy can be seen on sites such as YouTube, where user accounts with many harmless, perfectly legal videos are obliterated if they put up more than two "infringing" videos. Plus, since the policy is "guilty until proven innocent", someone could make a false complaint about a video infriging and YouTube will take it down, no questions asked. It assumes the complaint is valid and does not investigate -too much trouble. If the complaint was false, you're the one who has to prove it. In other words, anytime you are suspected of infringement, you have to prove your innocence - they don't have to prove your guilt unless you appeal. That's not how American justice is supposed to work.

The Righthaven controversy of last year also speaks to this possibility... only instead of a targeted site being forced to pay a fine to a private entity and then continuing on, the site would be eradicated from search engines and essentially have access to it cut off unless it took circumventing actions. I take no comfort in the fact that this bill is addressed towards foreign sites. The precedent it sets would be easily applicable to domestic, non-commercial ones in the future. Plus, the language includes domestic sites in those it would obliterate from search engines if those sites "enable" the foreign sites in some way such as linking to them.

The dangers of blowing away site access due to the posting of links by third parties is especially true if the DMCA "Safe Harbor" legislation were to be gutted, as Henley wants it to be (DMCA "Safe Harbor" protects a site from being held liable for infringing uploads by its users - see Henley's thoughts on it here). However, the DMCA aspect is a separate issue so I'll refrain from going off on that tangent any further.

It's a thorny issue. While few condone illegal behavior and Henley's frustration is understandable, this attempt at a solution seems at best ineffective and at worst the first step down the slippery slope of internet censorship.

My reaction to the PROTECT IP act is similar to my reaction to the PATRIOT act. Both acts address real problems, both have good intentions, but overall both provide ineffective solutions that set dangerous precedents for government intrusiveness. Henley's language about those who object to the PROTECT IP act being aligned with criminals is also very reminiscent of the rhetoric used to push through the PATRIOT act. That kind of language seems designed to intimidate people into keeping silent if they object, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, frankly. I just trust that such was not Henley's intent and that, as a reasonable fair-minded man, he would welcome intelligent debate.

I respect Henley's intellect tremendously and I understand his desire to find solutions to industry problems, but I feel he is backing the wrong horse here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Hmm, I see what you mean. The NZ law seems to have been rushed through, and nobody's really happy with it. Copyright holders have to pay the ISP to issue the infringement notices - not great if you're a new artist without a lot of money - and it's then up to the person receiving the infringement notice to prove their innocence. Also, the account holder is liable regardless of who has done the downloading - if you get 3 infringements it's a NZ$15,000 fine - but I'm not sure who actually gets the money - I'm picking it's not the artist!!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...issue-20110907

He says at the end his album will probably come out 'in the spring'. After Glenn's, I suppose. I am reluctant to comment about the two albums competing with each other.

Interesting article. While admittedly I don't know all the ins and outs of the issue, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that the artists should own their own masters. What he says about the labels essentially screwing people over for decades is one of the reasons I can't muster up much sympathy when the labels cry about how they don't get as much revenue as they used to. Maybe it's simply a natural adjustment - they used to get too much.

I think it's commendable that he mentions he has "four children" instead of the typical "my wife and I have three children" bit - although it is a bit mind-blowing to think Don Henley has a daughter older than I am. While it's not my business how he intends to divide his estate, I have to admit, I admire that he takes responsibility for his first child and intends to provide for her despite the fact she was born outside of marriage. Too many guys turns their backs on their kids in those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...issue-20110907

He says at the end his album will probably come out 'in the spring'. After Glenn's, I suppose. I am reluctant to comment about the two albums competing with each other.
    I don't think they will be competing with each other. I think people who are fans of the Eagles would be willing to buy both - heck, given the amount we shell out on tickets, we're used to investing in our passion!
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Interesting article. While admittedly I don't know all the ins and outs of the issue, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that the artists should own their own masters. What he says about the labels essentially screwing people over for decades is one of the reasons I can't muster up much sympathy when the labels cry about how they don't get as much revenue as they used to. Maybe it's simply a natural adjustment - they used to get too much.
    He has a valid point about them being independent contractors. The law in NZ has been pretty thoroughly tested on employee vs contractor in various industries - is it as clear cut in the US?

I'd also be interested to see how much artists make/have made in the past from actual record sales vs touring, merchandise, and other endorsement type activity... and how much the artists get vs the record labels. Is that sort of info published anywhere?

I think it's commendable that he mentions he has "four children" instead of the typical "my wife and I have three children" bit - although it is a bit mind-blowing to think Don Henley has a daughter older than I am. While it's not my business how he intends to divide his estate, I have to admit, I admire that he takes responsibility for his first child and intends to provide for her despite the fact she was born outside of marriage. Too many guys turns their backs on their kids in those circumstances.
    Totally agree.
    Suzanne

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I don't think they will be competing with each other. I think people who are fans of the Eagles would be willing to buy both - heck, given the amount we shell out on tickets, we're used to investing in our passion!
    I agree with this, EK - I don't view this as a competition. As was mentioned in another thread, Glenn chooses to keep a much lower public profile than Don, so it would not be at all surprising to me if Don's album is better promoted.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

He has a valid point about them being independent contractors. The law in NZ has been pretty thoroughly tested on employee vs contractor in various industries - is it as clear cut in the US?

I'd also be interested to see how much artists make/have made in the past from actual record sales vs touring, merchandise, and other endorsement type activity... and how much the artists get vs the record labels. Is that sort of info published anywhere?
    Good questions that I don't have the answers to. I once tried to look up those figures regarding revenue stream percentiles for a question LTL had posted a while back, and they're surprisingly hard to find in any specifics - just lots of vague "Most of the money is made by touring" type statements. I do remember an interesting quote from Glenn - he said their iTunes royalties added up to the equivalent of the amount of money the Eagles made in "39 minutes on stage in Kansas City."

Good questions that I don't have the answers to. I once tried to look up those figures regarding revenue stream percentiles for a question LTL had posted a while back, and they're surprisingly hard to find in any specifics - just lots of vague "Most of the money is made by touring" type statements. I do remember an interesting quote from Glenn - he said their iTunes royalties added up to the equivalent of the amount of money the Eagles made in "39 minutes on stage in Kansas City."
    Somehow that doesn't surprise me. I think I've heard Don say something about the band only getting 10 cents per download.

Sounds like most of the money is still going to the labels...
    Suzanne

Beat It: The Top 10 Singing Drummers

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...ers-0916-2011/
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)