Page 24 of 195 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don in the press

Wow, that was definitely more interesting than your usual concert promotional press. Thanks, AEF!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Pretty cool article. I love this part- "Don Henley, aged 61, is dressed in a plaid shirt and jeans. Despite all those tales of excess in the 1970s, the years have been a friend to him." The man does love plaid doesn't he?

And this part cracked me up--he should put this in a song- ". As they say, politicians, buildings and whores tend to gain respect if they stick around for long enough.”

Why don't I remember this? I guess maybe I just brushed it off as another bad review. "The following day the band’s lousy performance was the lead item on Joe Duffy’s Liveline . Why should we be surprised, asked one caller, the band members scarcely talk to each other, travel separately to the gigs and stay in separate hotels." But apparently Don thought it wasn't so good either? "For now, he hopes the forthcoming Irish concerts will exorcise the bad memories of Lansdowne Road. “I am sorry about that gig,” he says, “but the weather was against us and we are only human.” Does anyone remember this or have any links to it? Just kinda curious about it. I guess because Don also admits it wasn't so good.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Suite 2,810, the Chicago Ritz Carlton, March 2009

Now they tell us!

But Crosby’s charge of no risk-taking appears to strike a nerve. Henley thinks it unfair.
    “I don’t think you could say that about my solo work or Joe Walsh’s,” he says. His own view is that the leader of the band, Glenn Frey, is more averse to risk-taking. “In the early days we were too thin-skinned and combative about the critics. But these days we have moved beyond that. We are getting very positive reviews for the album and the shows

Sounds like Don is 'blaming' the no-risk-taking on Glenn.

Henley has a particular loathing of Rupert Murdoch, a man who, he says, has “single-handedly lowered the standard of news reporting by turning it into theatre. It has trivialised the serious. But all American TV now is about about exploitation and humiliation. The abuse heaped on kids in shows like American Idol is not very civilised.’’
    Henley still buys CDs regularly, but little that excites him is emerging from American Idol and its ilk.

I guess we already knew how Don feels about American Idol, but ouch!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

That was a very interesting interview--thanks for posting it!

Two things really stand out to me:

"(Long Road Out of Eden) took Henley more than a year to conceptualise and write, but it is, he says, right up there with his best work, such as Boys of Summer, Heart of the Matter, Waiting in the Weeds (from the new album), My Thanksgiving and, of course, Hotel California ."

My Thanksgiving is one of my VERY favorite DH songs and I was thrilled to see him mention it.

"He is taking his four kids, hoping they will reconnect with some family from Northern Ireland. He still recalls warmly an Eagles gig on the lawn at Stormont Castle shortly after the Belfast Agreement was signed."

There we are with the FOUR kids again. A little info about the mystery fourth child, PLEASE?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

DF - Even though Don seems to be forthcoming about the existence of the '4th' child, he isn't very forthcoming about any information about her, is he? Maybe, that's the way she wants it to be. All I know is that she is a 'she', she is apparently '20 something', and, obviously, Sharon is not her mother.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Ooohh- Intrigue!! Do tell more!! But it doesn't sound like anyone knows much more? Any speculation on who her mother is? How long have him and Sharon been married anyways?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

TBF - Don and Sharon married in 1995, but have been together since the late 80's or early 90's (can't remember exactly when).

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    DF - Even though Don seems to be forthcoming about the existence of the '4th' child, he isn't very forthcoming about any information about her, is he? Maybe, that's the way she wants it to be.
    We really don't know much about her at all. As I have said before, I have a huge file of interviews with Don talking about all aspects of his life--except this. I never even knew she existed until Don won his MusiCares award and they mentioned "four kids" then. Maybe that is the way they want it--but whenever an interview says "Don & his four kids" and the names of his other three kids are readily available, it does make you wonder.....

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great article!

I just bet Don is very proud of himself for pulling one over on the good ol' press as far as this mystical daughter is concerned! Whenever he reads something about it he's probably going
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Sounds like Don is 'blaming' the no-risk-taking on Glenn.

I must disagree. I do not think 'blame' is the correct word here. He is just stating a fact.

However I must say that I would have thought that if you are in a leadership role, you would be the sort of person who would WANT to take risks. I will leave it there, because this is a sore point with me.

At least Don does interviews. At least we get an insight into him.