Page 21 of 195 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Don in the press

I really need to take a vacation trip to LA someday. In addition to all the other attractions I would love to see in LA, here is part of a review of the new entertainment complex, LA Live. The Grammy Museum sounds like a must-see:
    From lobster tempura and Grammy Awards to basketball and beer, the new $2.4 billion LA Live complex in Downtown Los Angeles is definitely worth a visit.

A friend and I began a recent getaway to the venue at ESPN Zone, where we lunched while watching a Laker game. After the game we walked through Nokia Plaza to the Grammy Museum, a four-level gallery exploring and celebrating the legacies of music; the creative process; the art and technology of the recording process; and the history of the Grammy Awards.

Our adventure began with an elevator ride to the fourth floor. When the doors opened we followed colorful lights to a long table called “Crossroads.” Looking like something from “Star Wars,” the blinking interactive table is a giant touch-screen offering guests access to more than 130 genres of music.

Near “Crossroads” we found incredible musical memorabilia, such as Buddy Holly’s 1943 Gibson guitar, Elvis’ 1942 Martin guitar, and Don Henley’s hand-written lyrics to his classic song “End of the Innocence.”

Moving down to the third floor we were immersed in “Life of a Recording,” where video screens and interactive exhibits tell the story of how a song is recorded and brought to life from its beginning until it is ready for the radio. To help demonstrate the process, the museum features various recording booths, where guest can learn how to record, mix, and master a recording. On second floor we watched an original movie in the museum’s 200-seat theater. Called “The Making of a Grammy Moment,” the film was shot backstage at last year’s Grammy Awards.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I agree. That will definitely have to be on the "to do" list on my next visit to L.A.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Last edited by Koala; 07-08-2010 at 12:16 PM.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

^^^ Thank You Koala. That's a very insightful interview. Hmmm...I think I may think twice about what I repost, as far as live footage from Youtube vids from now on, when it comes to the Eagles. Some musicians don't mind but the ones that do I like to respect that.

Tribune: Why do you grant e-mail interviews instead of phone ones? What do you think of the Internet? What kind of effect has it had on the band? Had the Internet been around in the 1970s, do you think the Eagles’ fan-base would be as large?
    Henley: See previous answer. I do only e-mail interviews now because (a) I can do them on my own time, and (b) I can be more articulate — I don’t get misquoted or paraphrased as much. Replying via e-mail gives me time to think about my answers and, as mentioned above, it gives me a chance to try to answer the same old questions in a different way.
    I think the Internet is both a blessing and a curse. It’s a miraculous tool for learning, communicating, creating etc., but the Information Highway is littered with rubbish. In terms of meaningful “news” content, it’s far worse than newspapers, magazines or television because it gives a worldwide forum to know-nothings. Every egotistical nitwit who thinks he has something important to say has a blog. Everybody’s an expert, now. In his book, “The Cult of the Amateur,” Andrew Keen warns that, “In today’s self-broadcasting culture, where amateurism is celebrated and anyone with an opinion, however ill-informed, can publish a blog, post a video on YouTube or change an entry in Wikipedia, the distinction between trained expert and uninformed amateur becomes dangerously blurred. When anonymous bloggers and videographers, unconstrained by professional standards, editorial filters (or copyright laws), can alter the public debate and manipulate public opinion, truth becomes a commodity to be bought, sold, packaged and reinvented.”
    Since we’re an older band, I don’t believe that the Internet has had much of an impact as far as promoting our music. It has, however, had a negative impact on us in terms of piracy and all the illegal footage of our live concerts that is posted every week when we are on tour. A significant percentage of the stuff that is posted on YouTube is a violation of U.S. Copyright laws, but there is so much of it that it’s hard to police. YouTube has no filtering system, no preemptive gatekeeping mechanism, but it’s going to develop some kind of technology that will stem the ongoing infringement or else spend a lot of time in court battling thousands of copyright holders.
    Wow, thanks from me as well, Koala. That was a very interesting read, particularly these comments of Don's regarding the Internet. It explains a lot that he thinks that the Internet has had a more negative than positive impact on the band. I suspect that some of the other band members may share his view.

Last edited by Koala; 07-08-2010 at 12:15 PM.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Q: On "Hotel California," you sing: "So I called up the captain / 'Please bring me my wine' / He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.' " I realize I'm probably not the first to bring this to your attention, but wine isn't a spirit. Wine is fermented; spirits are distilled. Wine also has a lower ABV (alcohol by volume) percentage than spirits. Do you regret that lyric?

A: (Henley) Thanks for the tutorial and, no, you're not the first to bring this to my attention -- and you're not the first to completely misinterpret the lyric and miss the metaphor. Believe me, I've consumed enough alcoholic beverages in my time to know how they are made and what the proper nomenclature is. But that line in the song has little or nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. It's a sociopolitical statement. My only regret would be having to explain it in detail to you, which would defeat the purpose of using literary devices in songwriting and lower the discussion to some silly and irrelevant argument about chemical processes.

Thanks for this, Koala. This was posted in another thread, and like I said there, the interviewer deserved this zing from Don for asking such a ridiculous question about Hotel California.

I agree dreamer!

And is it just me or are the odds for another Eagles album improving? 50-50?

I hope Ticky, Wild Thyme, Freypower, and all others in the Western US and Pacific Rim read that last answer! They may have to wait till 2010, but their wait will not go unrewarded!

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    I agree dreamer!

And is it just me or are the odds for another Eagles album improving? 50-50?
    Lol. I think they've finally learned never say never!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.