Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Eagles/solo song of the moment?

Default Re: What's your Eagles/solo song of the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts
    Oh, I know what you mean, Brooke. The video I made for it has a similar theme:

Waiting in the Weeds video
    Wow That was Fabulous Soda! You are so clever
    Aw, thanks Carole, but it's the song that's truly genius! I think it's absolutely magnificent, and making the video only made me love it more.

In fact, when LROOE came out, we had a thread for it:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=610

Hard to believe that was almost three years ago now. It's coming on the end of August indeed.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Soda, you got it! That was absolutely beautiful and it ripped my heart right out of my chest.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Wow Brooke....I couldn't have said it any better! Not only is the song beautiful but so was your post about it! lol Something that I thought was funny about that song, the other night I was discussing Eagles music with my brother and his girlfriend. She is a pretty big fan, of Joe in particular, and he can take 'em or leave 'em. lol Anyway, we were discussing how their music has staying power etc etc and one of them made a statement about how their new stuff just doesn't compare to the old stuff and how good that was. I said sure but Waiting In The Weeds is brilliant! My brother follows with "see that's exactly what I mean....that's my favorite song of theirs," while his girlfriend stated "that's my favorite I think" at the same time. So of course I had to say "really? that's funny because that's off of the newest album." LOL WITW is in a class all of its own, imo. I completely understand what you're saying Brooke, about the emotion in Don's voice. I can't even wrap my mind around how someone can do that. I, too, literally feel what he's singing because there's so much emotion in his voice. It's as if he's reliving those moments, or even experiencing them for the first time, as he's singing. It's absolutely captivating! I think that verse you mentioned "I don't know when I realized the dream was over....." is my favorite....just brilliant. But then, the entire song is pure poetry imo!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I agree completely Brooke and Maleah. And another thing that occurs to me when I hear it or say HOTM or any of those truly "emotional" songs....how did they write them. What were they thinking about to make them write them? What experiences are they reflecting back on? NWIM?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Wow, Soda!! That WITW video is amazing!! I love it!!

After the discussion about HOTM I put on HFO with the intention of watching only HOTM and Pretty Maids but I couldn't help myself and I ended up watching the entire show. HFO is just soooo....it's soooo.....**SIGH**.....Gosh! It's just so wonderful. Everything about it is great!!
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Thanks guys!

And another thing that occurs to me when I hear it or say HOTM or any of those truly "emotional" songs....how did they write them. What were they thinking about to make them write them? What experiences are they reflecting back on?
    I love it when songwriters talk about their inspirations for songs because I too wonder what drove them to write what they did. It gives it an extra layer of meaning when you understand the background, although we all relate to the songs in different ways.

I get the feeling that a lot of what Don writes comes from personal experience. While all songwriters incorporate personal experience to a degree, not all of them open up as much as Don does.

It's ironic because there is a public perception (especially among younger people) that he is an arrogant, rigid, unfeeling man who only cares about getting his own way. I wonder if those people have ever truly listened to his work - and I don't just mean hearing Dirty Laundry and Boys of Summer on the radio. He comes across as quite the opposite in his music.

I think HOTM and WITW demonstrate the power of that emotional outpouring - and they're some of his best work. In my opinion, he shines his brightest when he exposes his vulnerabilities and shares them with the world in that poetic, eloquent way of his. It takes courage to do that and it's something I really admire about him.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

And something else about them (Don and Glenn in particular), more than likely when they set out to become "rock stars" and made their way to LA, I bet they thought they would be just that: wild, crazy, macho, hard rock & rollers, jamming and loud all the time. And then they came up with such tender and poignant songs like Tequila Sunrise, Peaceful Easy Feeling and Desperado (and then of course Best of My Love, Heart of the Matter and Waiting In the Weeds). You just know that that wasn't intended in the beginning! I just really bet they hadn't planned on showing their hearts like that! lol
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

A couple of Glenn's songs are poignant and heartfelt too, namely You Are Not Alone and It's Your World Now.

I was listening to a live version of New Kid In Town yesterday and all the passion in it came rushing back. I miss it.

Several of Glenn's songs are personal, but in most he's telling a story - nothing wrong with that. Christine McVie does the same thing. Regardless, he always conveys a lot of emotion in his vocal and to me, pretty much every song sounds heartfelt. It must be the actor in him!

It's interesting you bring up "It's Your World Now" because when explaining the song, Glenn distances himself and says something like "The guy in the song is dying."

You are dead on about "You Are Not Alone" though.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    In my opinion, he shines his brightest when he exposes his vulnerabilities and shares them with the world in that poetic, eloquent way of his. It takes courage to do that and it's something I really admire about him.
    It really does! I know just sharing something I wrote with one friend or even a family member is terrifying because part of you doesn't want anyone to know something that personal! I can't imagine having millions of people hearing you pour out your heart. I admire him a lot for it as well!