Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Eagles Book: "The Eagles: An American Band" by Vaughn

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: New Eagles Book

Yeah SL - I would agree with you about that photo being from 1974.

Anyway, I finally got around to finishing the book. Even though it's not that long, it took me a couple of weeks to read it because I had to just read it bits at a time. Unfortunately, as we suspected, there really isn't anything in there that we didn't already know. However, the presentation is a bit different, so I still think it is an enjoyable and interesting read. For the most part, Vaughan seemed to get the facts correct, although it's not perfect. Honestly, it was a lot better than I expected based on what Soda described to me when she first reviewed it. I was mildly annoyed that he gives Glenn absolutely no credit at all for writing Hotel California. On the other hand, he credits a quote that Don made in the 60 minutes interview to Glenn. I will say the book definitely focuses on Glenn and Don. I thought Randy, in particular, got very little ink.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 10-11-2010 at 12:11 AM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks for the review, Dreamer. I got an E mail from Amazon Canada a few days ago telling me that there was a delay with shipping the book. I had hoped to have it by now. Looks like I'll be lucky if I get it by the end of this week. Oh well (it's been a good day in hell) .

I finally got around to ordering this book yesterday. I should get it by the end of the week. Even though it seems to be nothing new i'm still really excited to read this one.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Jess-if nothing else, you won't be disappointed in the overall appearance of the book. It's so large and the pictures, even tho we've all seen them before, are just so big and gorgeous.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Two initial thoughts:

- pg. 76: "Some critics still claim that the Eagles' debut album is their finest work." Hear, hear!

- pg. 82 caption: Eagles "photographed in Topanga Canyon?" Come on!

- pg. 112: "in 1972 an original Byrd's reunion was discussed but failed to come to any kind of fruition." yikes!

Just got the book in the mail today. Wow!! It's big!!. I'm very pleased with the presentation of the book after only just skimming through. I really like the cover . There's only a few pics that I haven't seen before. I was a bit surprised to see so many pics of other artists. Although I know there's not really anything new I still can't wait to start reading it. It should be a nice little refresher on Eagles history.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

I picked mine up from our mailbox last night. I've only had time to look at the pictures & read the captions. Peek, I too was surprised at how much ink was given to other artists (Gram Parsons, Jackson Brown, etc).
    Athough I haven't read it yet it would seem that the title of the book should be The Eagles and Friends.

I noticed an error just skimming through - pg. 267 - the quote "I'd much rather make what I consider to be a really good album every twenty-eight years than to make a mediocre album every year. I'm proud of the album. And I'm glad..." is attributed to Glenn, whereas it was Don who said this in the interview with Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes in 2007.

Sorry about that

Just speculating, but I think the reason that those others got so much ink was because Vaughn had access to people like David Crosby but not the Eagles themselves, although he has since interviewed Felder.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten