Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Eagles Book: "The Eagles: An American Band" by Vaughn

Default Re: New Eagles Book

I more or less find it pointless to read, but nice to have around

..like I said before, we've all read those stories and seen those pics, but I still enjoyed the book....I was very happy that he didn't dwell on the "bad" stuff...he just told a story...glad I bought it...

Stuck on the Border

I just finished this book, and overall I think it's a nice addition to anyone's book collection. I'm just now starting some of the others (To the Limit, Flying High, and The Long Run) but I think this is a great coffee table book. I love the pictures in it. I'll have to read the rest of the books and see which I think is best. I'm really curious to see which one has the most information.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I picked mine up from our mailbox last night. I've only had time to look at the pictures & read the captions. Peek, I too was surprised at how much ink was given to other artists (Gram Parsons, Jackson Brown, etc).
    Athough I haven't read it yet it would seem that the title of the book should be The Eagles and Friends.

I noticed an error just skimming through - pg. 267 - the quote "I'd much rather make what I consider to be a really good album every twenty-eight years than to make a mediocre album every year. I'm proud of the album. And I'm glad..." is attributed to Glenn, whereas it was Don who said this in the interview with Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes in 2007.
    I saw the book today in a shop in Sydney & agree with the above about how much time is spent on other artists and how many photos there are of other artists. There was even a photo of Frank Zappa, who represented the polar extreme of Los Angeles music to the Eagles.

As for the discussion of their music, if I want to read over & over again how Don Henley became the 'star' of the band at Glenn Frey's expense, etc, etc, I will read To The Limit.

There were some nice photos and some reasonably decent discussion of LROOE but I'm afraid I didn't consider it worth buying.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-17-2010 at 11:11 PM.

I went to this really cool book store yesterday, and much to my surprise, I saw the new Eagles book sitting on their shelf. I sat down to read some parts of it. It's a very nice book! I'm glad I was able to see what it looks like

My Daughter and Son got the book for me for Christmas. I don't know how many editions were released but the one I got is a very oversized hardback. Tons of pictures as everyone has already mentioned. I haven't had time to read much of it yet. But nothing I've read so far is anything other than the same information we already have. If I come across anything new and recognize it as being such, I'll let you know.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Mike, What a great present! I've had mine a couple of months now and apart from flicking through the photo's I really haven't read any of it....it's toooooo big! **makes mental note to self - read it tomorrow**
    Last edited by tequila girl; 12-25-2010 at 05:54 PM.
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

It's the same with me. When I first got it, I looked through it and then put it away. It is not bed time reading material. I did like the pictures that I looked at and there were some that I don't remember seeing before.
    Great Christmas present, Mike

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    My Daughter and Son got the book for me for Christmas. I don't know how many editions were released but the one I got is a very oversized hardback. Tons of pictures as everyone has already mentioned. I haven't had time to read much of it yet. But nothing I've read so far is anything other than the same information we already have. If I come across anything new and recognize it as being such, I'll let you know.
    Mine is the oversized hardback too.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Mine is the large coffee table version as well. As I said earlier in this thread, I thought it was an interesting read, even though there wasn't really anything new in it per se. I didn't know there were other versions available. Can anyone tell me anything about them? I just may have to buy them as well if there are any significant differences. What can I say - I'm a completist!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016