Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy 35th Birthday "One of These Nights"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Happy 35th Birthday "One of These Nights"

Well today we begin our week of celebration for the 35th anniversary of the release of the "One of These Nights" album.

This is the album that propelled the band toward superstardom and garnered them their first grammy for Lyin' Eyes. It was also, of course, the last album that Bernie Leadon appeared on.

Please feel free to post your thoughts about the album throughout the week. We will also begin our "One of These Nights" Survivor Game this evening to celebrate as well.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ONE OF THESE NIGHTS!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Happy 35th Birthday "One of These Nights"

Listening to it one last time before game starts tonight. This album was my 2nd favorite Eagles album until LROOE came out and sometimes it still is and other times, it moves to #3. What can I say? I'm fickled!!! I received this album for my 12th birthday a month after it came out. Quite a feat when you grow up in the middle of nowhere and knew parents had to make a journey to a record store several miles away to get it for me. Bless good ol' Mummy and Daddy!

This album includes my all time favorite Eagles tune and my all time least favorite Eagles tune. Talk about all over the place huh?

The first time I heard One Of The Nights (the song) it was my favorite Eagles song ever, for about a year and them Take It To The Limit moved into that place and stayed there. Don't really know why I switched it up. I do believe it was Randy's voice to be honest. I thought he was the bomb!

Lyin' Eyes really struck me when it first came out also. Didn't want to like it because it sounded to country to me and after listening to my Mom's country, didn't want anything to do with country. But I was intrigued also because I knew the woman in the song was doing naughty things, wasn't quite sure what they were but knew it wasn't good! (hey I was 12!). Is now at the top of my Eagles favorites list.

Don't want to say to much more, or else I will give my whole Survivor strategy (yeah RIGHT!) away. But Journey Of The Sorcerer---what were they thinking? JK--but I remember hearing it and thinking "Eagles are suppose to SING!!!".
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Well, I LOVED Lyin' Eyes before I even "knew" who the Eagles were! TBF, I actually tend to like songs with "naughty" themes... Shh... don't tell...

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Well, I LOVED Lyin' Eyes before I even "knew" who the Eagles were! TBF, I actually tend to like songs with "naughty" themes... Shh... don't tell...
    Did you miss the part where I said it is now at the top of my favorites? I figured out what she was doing and I liked it!! (yeah I said that!) I now LOVE naughty songs also and naughty rock n rollers!! I'm not 12 any more baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I received this album for my 12th birthday a month after it came out. Quite a feat when you grow up in the middle of nowhere and knew parents had to make a journey to a record store several miles away to get it for me. Bless good ol' Mummy and Daddy!
    Once again, I am amazed at your memory and how you can connect the album with your twelfth birthday. I don't think I can remember (except for recent ones) when I got any of my music. I do have snapshots of memories of certain songs, like sitting in my car with a friend at a red light on Main Street when I was eighteen singing along to Bob Seger's Night Moves, or driving down to Florida in a van with four friends when I was nineteen playing Jackson Browne's new album Running On Empty constantly (it was the soundtrack of that trip). But I can't do what you can do!

I'm listening to OOTN today getting ready for Survivor tonight. Since we currently have so many fans of the former Eagles on the board, I hope they play along. Should be interesting!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Once again, I am amazed at your memory and how you can connect the album with your twelfth birthday.
    Don't be! I cheated. I remembered I received it for a birthday but couldn't remember if it was 11th, 12th or 13th, just that I was still young and naive (after 13-I finally figured the good stuff out). If Dreamer hadn't posted that it was 35 and I can do simple math, I wouldn't have said it was my 12th.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great album! And that's all I'm sayin' till Survivor!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Great album! And that's all I'm sayin' till Survivor!

Well you secretive little thing!!!

Lol! Everybody's holding their cards close to their chests!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I haven't listened to this in what seems like forever. I went to put it in for a listen and it wasn't with the rest of my CD's. I had to feverishly hunt it down. Phew... found it in my car. It's like listening to it with fresh ears.

This is should be a fun game. I can't wait to hear what others think of all the songs.