Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Then, or Now?

Border Desperado

Default Then, or Now?

Assume for a moment that we have access to Mr. Peabody and his wayback machine.

We can choose to get in the machine and go see the Eagles one time in any year, any show or tour.

Would you rather see the Eagles back then or now?

If you chose to go back in time, which shows/tour would you pick.

The only rule is... if you go back in time you can ONLY see them in that period.

Answers with long explanations earn extra points. Pictures (of either you back then, now or with the band) receive kudos.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Default Re: Then, or Now?

No hesitation for me. I'd like to go back to the winter of 1976 and attend once again the show that the Eagles did at Henry Levitt Arena in Wichita. It was one of the first Hotel California tour stops and actually happened in '76 rather than '77. I went to that concert...but I am ashamed to say that I was not in exactly the state of mind that permits retention of the memory!

This was Joe Walsh appearing with his new gig with the Eagles in his Home Town. It was a compromise for the group though with Meisner there, Bernie wasn't though Felder was hacking and slashing. Of course TBS wasn't there but there is no time in which they were "all" together.

This, I think marked the peak of the Eagles' rise to Superstardom. Also marked the beginning of the demise of the group before its current incarnation.
    Last edited by MikeA; 06-16-2010 at 05:05 PM.

MikeA

Banned

Only if I can take 2010 hair products and make up with me and make my age more appropriate to what theirs was during the time I chose.

I would have liked to go along on the '71 tour with Ronstadt or the debut album photo session

Border Desperado

eve, you can dial up any age you want (so long as you have achieved that age.)

so, if you are, say, 40 now, you could go back as a 10 year old, but not a 50 year old.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Good topic, bb. This is easy for me as well. Unfortunately, I never saw the Eagles live until 2003. As much as I would love to have seen them around the 1977 time frame that Mike mentioned, I will never get over the fact that I missed seeing them during the 1994-95 HFO tour. IMO, the band was at their prime as far as live performances from all of the DVDs and bootlegs I've seen from all eras. The fact that I did not get to see them then remains my deepest regret as an Eagles fan.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Assuming I'd be able to take my memories with me of the current tour and the live bootlegs I've watched....

I'd go with seeing the Eagles in 1976 - that July, specifically, when Fleetwood Mac opened for them. That's both my favorite bands right before they hit the stratosphere and they still were working hard for the love; plus, both bands were less inhibited. Joe had just started playing with the band and I'd be bummed to miss out on seeing a show with Bernie, but you can't have it all.

Check out a typical setlist:
    Take It Easy
    Outlaw Man
    Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise
    Turn to Stone
    Lyin' Eyes
    You Never Cry Like a Lover
    Take It to the Limit
    Desperado
    Midnight Flyer
    One of These Nights
    Already Gone
    Too Many Hands
    Good Day in Hell
    Witchy Woman
    Rocky Mountain Way
    James Dean
    Best of My Love
    Funk 49
    Carol
    Nice!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

3/10/1973 - Voorburg, Netherlands - before the fame and wealth and disagreements, before Joe Walsh and Don Felder. Just the original four in all their unpolished stage presence, t-shirts and jeans, tuning and setting up the instruments, sound problems with the system, squealing mikes, misplaced spotlights, tv cameras almost in their faces and in their way. But the good-natured joking among them, sharing the songs equally, and it was clear that they were all still friends.
    I want to be the same age as them or a few years younger. And does this have to be "G" rated?

Border Desperado

only if the G relates to a certain STRING!

as for that, I say leave it off, put on some leather pants, a vest with no blouse and come on down to the troubador and the palomino and we'll have some FUN!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    only if the G relates to a certain STRING!

as for that, I say leave it off, put on some leather pants, a vest with no blouse and come on down to the troubador and the palomino and we'll have some FUN!
    Hell yah baby!