Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musical Minds

Default Musical Minds

I watched part of the repeat of the NOVA show on PBS titled Musical Minds last night. I'd really like to see the entire episode sometime. They had some really interesting (to me) neurological information about how music relates to the brain. If you don't find this interesting, I understand. But I thought this was a really neat show. I've often wondered why I have such a powerful attraction to music, especially Joe's. It can change my mood, bring me down/up, change my stress level, blood pressure, outlook, have me dancing in the aisles. And this show kind of answered some of my questions.
    Every culture, all of them worldwide have some type music. They now know the human brain is hardwired for it, making us what the scientists called natural musical animals. We are born with parts of our brains ready for anticipating musical parts, participating in and appreciating music. In a brainscan, they can't tell a visual artist, writer or mathematician, but they can tell a professional musician. That was a Way cool moment for me.
    Neurologist Oliver Sacks (he wrote Awakenings, starring Di Nero and Robin Williams, a movie about his discoveries of what musical therapy did for his patients. Ones who couldn't talk could sing, ones that couldn't walk could dance, etc.) He's a Bach fan, but not Beethoven. They played popular pieces and when he heard the Bach, his brain really lit up, but not for Beethoven. Then they played rare pieces that he couldn't tell between the two, but his brain could, the same parts lit up for Bach, but not the other. I thought that was really interesting. I could relate, sometimes I'm not sure who I'm hearing, but I know I like it. It usually ends up being someone who's music I usually like but just didn't recognize at that moment. Good gawd, I am normal!
    They also had case studies of Dr. Sacks including a young man who is a musical savante on the piano. He's blind, autistic and mentally disabled. He can't count to 10, but he can play back anything he hears, and do modulations and variations on the melody. It was amazing.
    They had a woman who had Amusica, it's like vocal color blindness, she can't appreciate music like most (that'd be hell on earth for me). No rhythym, no pitch, no nothing. My friends and family would probably say I have this!
    They also had an orthopaedic surgeon who'd always liked rock music, but he got struck by lightning in his head, and now is OCD about hearing/playing/creating classical piano pieces to the demise of his practice and marriage.
    I alway knew in my heart music was way more than just sitting around, wasting time (HA Dad!) there's lots of brain parts involved. Fascinating stuff, I didn't do it justice here, but if you ever see this show scheduled, you might want to watch for a bit, pretty cool stuff.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Musical Minds

As you can see this has been moved to Singing For The Sake Of The Song.

That's very interesting. Particularly with classical music I have always wondered why I prefer some composers to others (I am a Beethoven and Bach person rather than a Mozart person).

That is interesting indeed! I'd like to check that program out!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I AM NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I wouldn't go that far.

That sounds like a very interesting program, jdub. Thanks for letting us know about it. Definitely worth looking out for!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Well, about this anyway...

I find this fascinating too and would like to see the show. Everyone on this board must realize the impact that music has to some degree or they wouldn't be here.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

HEY....
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I hear music almost constantly in my head, especially in the morning. Usually it's just an earworm, but sometimes it's a pretty cool tune, probly songs parts that I've heard. In Joe's song On The Radio, he talked about the songs coming to him to get written down, I wonder if he still has that happen. Hope so, I'd sure like one more album Joe!! They showed MRIs of someone just thinking about a favorite song, and the same brain centers lit up like they were physically listening to music, so it gives you the same benefits without crankin' it up. But, I prefer to hear it outside my head.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That is very interesting and would like to catch this show, too. Thanks jd!

Willie, I believe you!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

You know, I was thinking about this some more today... my older sister hardly ever listens to music, and has no desire to. My father was a professional musician for a while. My younger sister and I played string instruments when we were younger - I still have my little trophy for being awarded the position of 1st chair, 1st violin for the Regional Youth Symphony in my old bedroom in Texas lol. I had to stop playing because of the hand tremors caused when they upped my dosage of epilepsy meds to control seizures, but my sister currently plays for her small church. I wonder if the differences in the level of musical appreciation are due to our brains being wired different ways? And does that explain why some of us listen to music constantly, are moved greatly by it, are very intense about our musical favorites, and others aren't?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten