Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arizona's New Law On Illegal Immigration

Border Desperado

Default Re: Arizona's New Law On Illegal Immigration

This comment is from the NM clan.

"From what I've heard people will only be checked when they are stopped for a lawful reason. At that time they have to prove citizenship. I understand they can't just stop someone and ask for citizenship. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens."

We all know that there will be some law enforcement officials who will abuse their authority and that's where the trouble will come from. JMO.....
    That's exactly the point why some are against this Law, because allows, empowers any Authoritie even local Police to stop any person without a proper reason but to ask about papers and status, all because of their skin color, race, looks, you know. That's wrong.
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Border Desperado

The sad bottomline of this is, this scandal and fire is all about the Re-election of the Governor. She's triying to catch the Right wing of AZ politicians and powers and conserv. people, and Once the campaigns and elections are over -who ever wins wich I believe will no te Republicans- this will be history. The issue will continue I mean the problem will still be there, but should be treated as it must be: Between neighbors and historical friends. Boy Teddy Kenneddy is much missed these Days!

Last edited by thelongrun; 05-24-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Border Desperado

20 years ago Baylor University built a huge football stadium. One of the things they touted was that the grandstand was taller than their arch rival Texas Christian University.

Texas Christian responded by remodeling their grandstand to be like 4 feet taller than Baylor's.

I wish we could stop all the grandstanding and spend out time and energies on the people (on all sides of the issue) to come to a policy and a set of rules that we could live with and prosper mutually.

I think the boycotting thing has passed its time for usefulness and municipalities and states have no business to waste the people's time and resources on such efforts.

Public Utilities officials are there to serve the public and not make threats idle or otherwise. We need a return to professional behavior on all fronts and most of all, we need help with this issue and help that doesn't include crushing people on all sides to make some kind of political talking point.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    20 years ago Baylor University built a huge football stadium. One of the things they touted was that the grandstand was taller than their arch rival Texas Christian University.

Texas Christian responded by remodeling their grandstand to be like 4 feet taller than Baylor's.

I wish we could stop all the grandstanding and spend out time and energies on the people (on all sides of the issue) to come to a policy and a set of rules that we could live with and prosper mutually.

I think the boycotting thing has passed its time for usefulness and municipalities and states have no business to waste the people's time and resources on such efforts.

Public Utilities officials are there to serve the public and not make threats idle or otherwise. We need a return to professional behavior on all fronts and most of all, we need help with this issue and help that doesn't include crushing people on all sides to make some kind of political talking point.
    I agree. As somebody said, there's lots of grays (people, persons involved and suffering) but in the sense BB says, this should be a black and white issue. By the way this may surprise you but I don't support any Boicot. It's a wrong move, regardless where they come from. As a result, nothing good will come of those and wrong feelings could born there (More woord to the fire). My best to all.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, since I have been busy in other areas of the board lately, I’ve only been skimming this thread, and haven’t had time to reply. However, tonight I reviewed it again, and this has been an interesting discussion. As I read various posts, I was thinking to myself “Yep – I agree with everything that person said”. I realized there were strong opinions on every side of the issues here, but again, I pretty much found myself agreeing with practically everything written. It only made me realize how difficult and complicated this issue really is. There really are so many gray areas that it’s no wonder we don’t have all the answers. I hope we can figure this out one day soon, but I’m not convinced the law that was passed in Arizona is the solution.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by thelongrun View Post
    The sad bottomline of this is, this scandal and fire is all about the Re-election of the Governor. She's triying to catch the Right wing of AZ politicians and powers and conserv. people, and Once the campaigns and elections are over -who ever wins wich I believe will no te Republicans- this will be history. The issue will continue I mean the problem will still be there, but should be treated as it must be: Between neighbors and historical friends. Boy Teddy Kenneddy is much missed these Days!
    Sorry, I meant McCain reelection. By the way as hard and difficult this issue is, there's a man from whose severeal speachs I have seen and listened gives me nothing but hope: Obama. He nails it everytime. What a privilege has the USA people (and others like the neighborghs) to have such a man serving the Country.

I admire the USA, and that means the people, and now and then, some of the Leaders. As a matter of fact is a Country founded in inmigration. Italian, Irish, Mexican, German, from Africa, Korean....you name it. I know I know: Those did it legally, by the Law.

Anyway, I remember now and then World War II and how America stand (past stood?), how man and women, how President(s) fought the Nazis... Boy, God bless. Mexicans troops were there at USA's side . In a humble way because of the humble background (Aka no Economic power), anyway, wich brings me this thought:

I wanna fool a little, dream a little? I magine this, picture this. Some Day in 2011, a cruel Terrorist trap is set to go in some major City . Almost does. But in a brave act, some poor Mexican Wetback stops it, saving hundreds maybe more lifes at cost of his own. Nation wide the Media News tells the whole storie. That man leaves a young wife and 2 little kids, no papers. I wonder how will diehard defenders of this Law and ideas will think then.

That's sounds... like a Holywood Movie. But such stories brief ones, little ones but thousands may be happening right now and has been from long time ago. Stories of hope and the strugle for being better persons, as a start trying to give a better life to their loved ones.

I must say by the way, we have to learn too. We are... wrong too. Mexico is not that fear either with Central America people who enter our South border.

I hope for the Day this can be solved, all over the World, and we must hurry before Armaggedon comesmeaning Politicians, Congress and Governments are not doing and haven't do the job for Decades. Obama leadership may be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by thelongrun View Post
    That's exactly the point why some are against this Law, because allows, empowers any Authoritie even local Police to stop any person without a proper reason but to ask about papers and status, all because of their skin color, race, looks, you know. That's wrong.
    thelongrun, the bill specifically prohibits that in writing. You can say "Well, it doesn't matter what the bill says, the police will abuse it" but couldn't you say that about ANY law?

And I don't understand why so many seem to believe that Arizona's police officers, many of whom are Hispanic themselves, are chomping at the bit to harass anyone of Latin descent using this law.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    thelongrun, the bill specifically prohibits that in writing. You can say "Well, it doesn't matter what the bill says, the police will abuse it" but couldn't you say that about ANY law?

And I don't understand why so many seem to believe that Arizona's police officers, many of whom are Hispanic themselves, are chomping at the bit to harass anyone of Latin descent using this law.
    Dear Soda if the bill now specifically prohibits that in writing is because the bill was changed, reformed either the Governor made a statment in that sense, prohibiting because the reactions, but the bill was born originally that way.

If I get you right, let me say IMO police officers are not very happy about this law "new job" they have or may have now, IMO they show more common sense than the Governor herself, but when this comes they will be obli.. you know. On the other hand as I said somwhere here, white Officers ironically pretty often are nicer persons towards hispanics than hispanics Officers themselves... I know that... Yeah, I dont't gei it either.

Border Desperado

There are some really unanticipated things going on in AZ from the law.

I actually worked with our folks yesterday (was it yesterday? the last few weeks have been crazy!) from Arizona and it seems the schools are putting up signs (in spanish) letting families know that they will not be checking id's and that they will discourage any leo's from visiting campus for any purpose that would lead to it.

What I was told by our metrics folks is that they are expecting between 100K and 160K fewer kids in the schools next year because their parents are afraid.

Again, this is just COMPLICATED. On one hand, I want every child regardless of where they come from to get an education... but, the burden of the cost of education is an issue that has to be addressed.

Who gets hurt? Well, we all do. Kids without educations are a huge drag on the economy! The kids get hurt. Teachers are being laid off, so it hurts them...

I feel genuinely sorry for everyone in AZ on all sides of this issue. Lots of suffering... I am holding out hope that we can work up a solution that will help make life better for everyone!
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

It's important because there could be new developments as time goes on.