Page 82 of 136 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Default Re: Sporting Sensations

Yeah that was bad. Hope the fans are ok.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I just logged on here to see if anyone had seen that. Just saw a snippet on MSN, it said some fans were injured. Must have been a heck of a wreck to cause that.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Oh wow... I hope everyone will be okay.

The Six Nations rugby tournament is on at the moment and, after beating France today, we (England) have won our first three games. Good to see my favourite player, Toby Flood, come on as a substitute too!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Troub, what is the story with the Bradford City Football Club? I'm reading an article about them and it's not making much sense to me. Apparently a person needs to know a lot more about English Soccer than I do, but it sounds like a great story?

Glad to hear your Rugby team is doing so well!
    VK

Basically they are a League Two team (our football has leagues or divisions, where teams are relegated or promoted each year based on points/matches won) and they have astonished everybody by beating some of the top teams in the country during this cup tournament. They will play the final at Wembley tomorrow - Wembley is the home of English football and just an iconic place to play. I'm really hoping that they do it. Everyone loves an underdog! The story about the manager's wife being in a wheelchair and too ill to see some of their victories has added that extra edge of emotion. A lot has also been made of the fact that football has brought people of all cultures together, after some riots and racial tensions in that area over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Basically they are a League Two team (our football has leagues or divisions, where teams are relegated or promoted each year based on points/matches won) and they have astonished everybody by beating some of the top teams in the country during this cup tournament. They will play the final at Wembley tomorrow - Wembley is the home of English football and just an iconic place to play. I'm really hoping that they do it. Everyone loves an underdog! The story about the manager's wife being in a wheelchair and too ill to see some of their victories has added that extra edge of emotion.
    Oh wow, that's an interesting concept, having teams get promoted or relegated each year. We do that with players between 'major' teams and farm clubs, and generally through-out the year, in hockey and baseball. However, having an entire team move up or down depending on the performance for a year is very interesting. Good grief, I can't even imagine how the NFL would deal with that!
    VK

It's interesting, isn't it! Basically, it's the top three teams in each division at the end of the season that get promoted, and the bottom three that get relegated. (There are some variations, but I won't get too long-winded!) I think it's cool because it means that even a small club way down the divisions has the chance of rising up the ranks and making the premier league. It keeps things fresh.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Cool...never knew that about "footie"!

Official NASCAR report--14 fans treated at the track, 14 sent to Halifax Medical Center (one was reported as a child with head injuries )...in addition to Michael Annett being taken to Halifax from the previous accident...they are going to work all night to get the fence back up for tomorrow, they say...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    It's interesting, isn't it! Basically, it's the top three teams in each division at the end of the season that get promoted, and the bottom three that get relegated. (There are some variations, but I won't get too long-winded!) I think it's cool because it means that even a small club way down the divisions has the chance of rising up the ranks and making the premier league. It keeps things fresh.
    It keeps it fresh except that certain clubs will never be relegated (the only club which never has been relegated at all is Arsenal). I can't remember when it last happened to Liverpool but my husband had to suffer it only two seasons ago with Newcastle.

Found out a little while ago that the Steelers have released #92 James Harrison. You know, it's 'just sports' and it's not supposed to be so important, yet I find my entire beautiful spring day has been ruined.
    VK