Page 16 of 136 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Border Desperado

Default Re: Sporting Sensations

I don't know how I've missed this thread but I just can't pass it up. MY favorite baseball team, the Philadelphia Phillies are Phinally the World Champions of baseball! I first started to follow them in 1964. Any one who is a baseball fan (based on that little tid bit of information) will understand why I am so psyched about the Phillies winning the World Series.

The team who goes by the same name as our favorite band are in the NFL Play Offs but I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I'm holding my breath.
    Last edited by Just Another Hired Hand; 01-03-2009 at 01:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    PB - I, too, am an avid football fan. However, sadly, I can't be rooting for your Sooners.

But I am ecstatic that my beloved Miami Dolphins are the NFL AFC East Champions and will be playing the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the playoffs on Sunday. Of course, I very much want them to win, but if they don't, there is no way that you can declare this season as anything other than a huge success for them. For those of you who don't know, this team is one of the most successful sports franchises ever. However, the last few years, the team had uncharacteristically fallen on hard times. But after an offseason overhall in personnel, they became only the second team in NFL history to make a 10-game improvement in one season. They went from a 1-15 record last year to an 11-5 record this year. Hopefully, they can make history again and win a few more games in the playoffs..

Congratulations Miami Dolphins!!!
    I've always been more of a college football fan than Pro football but I do watch pro football every now and then. My family has always cheered for the Dallas Cowboys but a friend of mine plays for the Baltimore Ravens so we cheer for them as well. As much as I would like to go along with you here, Dreamer, and cheer for the Dolphins, I've gotta support my friend and say Go Ravens!!!
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Man, The Dallas Cowboys are not in the play offs

auntmeda:}

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I was to embarrassed to post that my beloved Notre Dame Irish won their bowl on Christmas Eve (mainly because I didn't feel that we even deserved a bowl bid with a record like we had this year). They did however break a long losing streak for bowl games.

My beloved Chicago Bears screwed up their chance last Sunday to get into the playoffs. And last night the Colts lost in overtime so they are now out of the playoffs also. I am now watching the Dolphins/Ravens game. Don't really care who wins it all this year.

One of these days, I have hopes that either the Irish will win the championship, the Cubs will take the World Series or the Bears will win another Super Bowl and God help me if all these things happen in the same year--then surely Hell will freeze over!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    One of these days, I have hopes that either the Irish will win the championship, the Cubs will take the World Series or the Bears will win another Super Bowl and God help me if all these things happen in the same year--then surely Hell will freeze over!!!
    At least if ever that happens The Eagles will tour that year too!

(Hell Freezes Over)
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I had to work last night and didn't get to see the game and i just now saw that the Ravens beat the Dolphins. Sorry about your Dolphins losing, Dreamer. They had a good season though. I'm really happy for my Raven friend. I wish him the best of luck in the next round when he faces off against the Tennessee Titans.
    ~Jess~

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks PB. As I said before, despite their loss yesterday, the Dolphins more than exceeded expectations this year, so I'm not bitterly disappointed. I have high hopes going into next year that they are only going to get better.

I haven't decided who I'll be rooting for in the NFL playoffs now that Miami has been eliminated.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Hey Peekaboo---Just wanted to say I'm sorry your Sooners lost last night. I was really rooting for them to beat Florida. I'm sick of the Florida Gators being so good every year.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Thanks Willie, but What the heck happened to my Sooners?!!! Man oh man that was a really tough loss. I'm still so sad about it. But this loss doesn't make me support them any less. I've been a Sooner fan for as long as I can remember. The saying goes "I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred, and when I die I'll be Sooner dead." Now I'll just be looking forward to next season.
    ~Jess~

I just discovered that one of my clients, Marcus Henry, is a NY Jets wide receiver who just finished his rookie season. The Jets have their training camp in the town where I practice, Madison, NJ. Once my receptionist stopped drooling long enough to tell me who he was, I asked him for his autograph for the 2 Jets fans in my family, my hubby and younger son. He also gave me his rookie card. If anyone cares to know, he and his fiancee/wife (I couldn't tell) own a 4-month-old Boston Terrier terrier puppy named Daisy and a 2-yr-old female pug I haven't met yet.