Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Its not corny at all Willie, if the boys only knew how many people their music has helped during times of trouble I'm sure they would be amazed. I really hope you get to see them in the flesh soon as its an experience not to be missed. And your heart WILL be on overtime in more ways than one I'd say!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very NOT corny, Willie. The Eagles music is timeless and has many heartfelt lyrics that can sooth the soul. Most of it anyway.

That's too funny about your parents letting you go see Aerosmith and AC/DC, but turning down the Eagles! What they didn't know!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    Thanks again to everyone for welcoming me! It is really great to see so many here about the same age as I am with similar marriages and children (the biggest parts of my life). I feel I am sometimes to old to be acting like a teenager about her favorite band but since I have loved these guys since before I was a teenager, I guess they aren't just my "flavor of the day."
    Believe it or not, I have never seen them in concert. They either have not been around this area or when they have come anywhere close, there would be something else standing in the way. My cousin had tickets in the mid 70's but my parents wouldn't let me go because I was to young to go to a concert (yet 6 months later let me go to an Aerosmith/AC DC concert-if only they knew that mistake). I had tickets in 03 but found out 3 days before we were to go that my father had terminal cancer-needless to say, didn't feel much like a celebration at that point, so I gave the tickets to my niece and her husband, who had a great time. I must say that last year, the last few months of my fathers life, their music really helped me thru it as corny as that may sound. It was somewhat of an escape from reality when I put an Eagles cd on, if even for just a little while. My husband figures that someone knows my heart wouldn't take seeing them live and therefore, keeps putting things in the way of me getting the chance. Someday, I might defy fate and actually see them and if the old heart can't take it, at least I will die with a big old smile on my face :P
    Oh my gosh, TBF - I really felt for you reading this. I'm so sorry that you lost your father, and especially that you lost him to cancer. I lost my mother just over two years ago now, also to cancer. Becoming a huge Eagles fan last year has certainly helped me to overcome some of the worst of my pain, although the pain is still there everyday. Their music helps to soothe the pain and hurt, and being a fan has brought me some wonderful new friends here on The Border, for which I will be eternally grateful. Had it not been for the Eagles, I would never have even considered going overseas, let alone going overseas to see my favourite band. Glenn's little acknowledgement of me at the end of the concert made it all so worthwhile - I will love him forever just for that.

My friends and colleagues teased me that my heart wouldn't take it either (even though I'm only 31 ), but I survived! I really hope your dream will come true soon! Perhaps now is the time!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Oh my gosh, TBF - I really felt for you reading this. I'm so sorry that you lost your father, and especially that you lost him to cancer. I lost my mother just over two years ago now, also to cancer. Becoming a huge Eagles fan last year has certainly helped me to overcome some of the worst of my pain, although the pain is still there everyday. Their music helps to soothe the pain and hurt, and being a fan has brought me some wonderful new friends here on The Border, for which I will be eternally grateful. Had it not been for the Eagles, I would never have even considered going overseas, let alone going overseas to see my favourite band. Glenn's little acknowledgement of me at the end of the concert made it all so worthwhile - I will love him forever just for that. )
    Thank you--it is hard as you know--we are a very close family and seeing my mom go thru not only a very long illness but the loneliness after 50 years together makes it even harder. She lives over 45 minutes away so needless to say, a lot of Eagles music makes that trip (every day for awhile) that much more bearable.

Anyways, since I'm new hear I haven't seen everything on here so maybe I missed the story, but fill me in on the acknowledgement from Glenn! How cool is that?!?!? I don't think I would ever have the guts to go overseas like you did! Good for you!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Oh my gosh, TBF - I really felt for you reading this. I'm so sorry that you lost your father, and especially that you lost him to cancer. I lost my mother just over two years ago now, also to cancer. Becoming a huge Eagles fan last year has certainly helped me to overcome some of the worst of my pain, although the pain is still there everyday. Their music helps to soothe the pain and hurt, and being a fan has brought me some wonderful new friends here on The Border, for which I will be eternally grateful. Had it not been for the Eagles, I would never have even considered going overseas, let alone going overseas to see my favourite band. Glenn's little acknowledgement of me at the end of the concert made it all so worthwhile - I will love him forever just for that. )
    Thank you--it is hard as you know--we are a very close family and seeing my mom go thru not only a very long illness but the loneliness after 50 years together makes it even harder. She lives over 45 minutes away so needless to say, a lot of Eagles music makes that trip (every day for awhile) that much more bearable.

Anyways, since I'm new hear I haven't seen everything on here so maybe I missed the story, but fill me in on the acknowledgement from Glenn! How cool is that?!?!? I don't think I would ever have the guts to go overseas like you did! Good for you!!
    Thanks, TBF! Believe me, I was terrified about making the trip - if I didn't have GA and GEF to meet there, I doubt I would have gone through with it. The preparations were extremely stressful - I didn't even have a passport yet - but thank the Lord that everything worked out in the end.

Instead of filling you in just on the acknowledgement I got from Glenn here, I'm going to direct you to the "Concert Reviews" forum, and the thread entitled "The Eagles at the 02 Arena, London, 20 March 2008". There you will find my entire experience. It's a LONG read, but hopefully you will enjoy it! Thanks for the interest!

I'm so sorry for your mother's loneliness - I completely understand how she feels. I'm sure she really appreciates the effort you make to see her every day. You're a wonderful daughter.

I feel I am sometimes to old to be acting like a teenager about her favorite band but since I have loved these guys since before I was a teenager, I guess they aren't just my "flavor of the day."
    One of the best parts about being an Eagles fan is that it is perfectly okay to act like a teenager again when you see them. It is great fun to go to a concert and whoop & hollar like a kid, surrounded by people who feel the same way you do. You HAVE to go to one of their concerts--you will LOVE it!

I had tickets in 03 but found out 3 days before we were to go that my father had terminal cancer-needless to say, didn't feel much like a celebration at that point, so I gave the tickets to my niece and her husband, who had a great time. I must say that last year, the last few months of my fathers life, their music really helped me thru it as corny as that may sound. It was somewhat of an escape from reality when I put an Eagles cd on, if even for just a little while.
    Our similarities continue, Willie. The regular posters here are well-aquainted with my story about how Eagles/Don music helped me get through a similiar situation when my father was also diagnosed with terminal cancer in 04. I actually went to my first Don solo concert with my sister in Atlanta the month before our father died. (To this day she has a little bit of trouble listening to New York Minute, one of the songs Don played that night, because of the line--"You better take a fool's advice and take care of your own--One day they're here, next day they're gone.") Anyway, Eagles/Don music became my escape mechanism as well. I am eternally grateful for that music, and for the support of many wonderful friends, both in my real neighborhood and my cyberspace neighborhood. And meeting up with buddies from The Border at Eagles concerts over the last few years has been the icing on the cake!

DF, I feel for you too, girl - you know that . Thanks for sharing more of your story with us. Life can be cruel sometimes - you have the experience of a lifetime, and then your world is turned upside down, and you wonder how you're ever going to carry on as before.

DF--I can truly relate to you and what you have been through. Growing up I was not exposed to the popular music of the 70's. I knew who the Eagles were and Don Henley & Glenn Frey because of their solo careers in the 80's.

My mother passed away unexpectedly in 1999 and 2 weeks after her death my dad had surgery to remove his left lung due to lung cancer. The cancer came back in 2002 and dad passed away August, 2004. Eventhough I am married to a wonderful man and have a great 20 yr. old son, I felt very alone. I don't have any brothers or sisters.

I have always loved music and even played the cello in school. I turned back to music and found that I really still enjoyed it. I did not get "Eaglesmania" until I watched the CMT awards in November. I remember asking my husband if he was going to watch the awards with me and telling him that the Eagles were going to perform. He loves all of the music from the 70's. His dad was in a band so he was really exposed to a variety of music. At that point I really did not know much of anything about the band, except they had alot of great songs from the 70's era. I was blown away by "How Long" (not to mention the guys themselves )

Well as the saying goes "that's all it took".

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Gosh it is touching reading about how Eagles music has touched each of our lives. As I was reading some of this thread, it reminded me of another thread that many of us posted in a while back talking about how our Eagles fandom began. It's a long read, but I think it was a really fun thread. Maybe some of you newbies would like to revive the thread with some of your own posts. Here is the link for those of you who would like to check it out:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...read.php?t=311

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks for that link, Dreamer.

Samo, I really feel for you. I, too, am an only child, which is one of the reasons why it was so devastating to lose my mother. I'm so sorry that you had to lose your parents the way you did . I'm so sad that so many of us have watch our loved ones suffer through the ravages of cancer.