Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Wish You Peace

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: I Wish You Peace - credits

One thing you have to remember about that book by Marc Elliot is that Don semi-cooperated with Elliot on that book so we are definitely inclined to have more of his recollection of events than we are the other band members. As Soda said, none of us really know the true dynamics of the relationship between Bernie, Don, and Glenn back in the day. They were all probably not very happy with one another at that point. But from everything I've read, I really don't think it's accurate to say that there was no friction between Glenn and Bernie or that the friction was mainly between Don and Bernie. After all, it was Glenn that got the beer poured over his head when Bernie departed. In any event, fortunately, it seems like time has healed a lot of the hard feelings that existed between them and that none of them harbor extremely bitter feelings towards each other any more.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Don't forget too that these guys were exhausted with an endless touring cycle compounded with the heavy drug usage. Bernie stated in the Hotel California doc that it was "too much partying", he wanted to get clean and healthy. He had a couple more years on the guys touring with the Burritos so he was burnt out.

He did also have a habit of being stubborn and flighty when he didn't get his way. He quit Dillard & Clark in '69 when Gene Clark brought in his then girlfriend Donna Washburn and gave her some of his vocal duties. Same thing when Chris Hillman hired Rick Roberts into the Flying Burrito Brothers and his duties were reduced. I think Hillman said that he had "boxed himself into the corner" in the Burritos and the same thing happened with the Eagles. I have to say though (with no offense to Glenn or his fans) that I still think Bernie's pouring the beer on Glenn's head is the greatest classic rock move ever for a guy quitting any band. I'm sure they all get a chuckle out of it today, even Glenn.

And I'm certain that Bernie has no regrets whatsoever for leaving and holds no grudges with the guys. Fortunately for him he got his golden parachute in the form of the first greatest hits (or as I like to call it "Bernie Leadon and his Fabulous Eagles" )
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Good analysis, GTLO.

Quote Originally Posted by GettheLeadonOut!!
    I have to say though (with no offense to Glenn or his fans) that I still think Bernie's pouring the beer on Glenn's head is the greatest classic rock move ever for a guy quitting any band. I'm sure they all get a chuckle out of it today, even Glenn.
    Seriously, that is a classic moment, no matter who's your favorite Eagle! Especially since according to Felder, he poured it slowly from a longneck while Glenn just stood there stunned (Of course, we always gotta keep in mind the source there).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I think it's very thought-provoking to look at this as Bernie's farewell to the band. "I wish you peace" is a nice way to say goodbye.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: I Wish You Peace

I re-read this thread & I honestly can't see it that way. I see it as a straightforward love song.