Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Wish You Peace

Default Re: I Wish You Peace - credits

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Well I didn't see them - were these the nude photos of Davis?! Surely not!!
    BB Posted a pic of Davis's Playboy cover

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

GLO - I had never thought about I Wish You Peace being Bernie's farewell statement to the band, but it makes sense. I guess I missed that in Felder's book (Geez, I thought I had that entire book committed to memory as many times as I've gone through it. ) But anyway, I like the song too - I think it's very pretty. IWYP and JOTS are both very good songs, but I do think they accentuate that Bernie wasn't on the same page with the direction the band was going at this point. IMO, both of Bernie's contributions on One of These Nights are a bit 'out of synch' with the other songs on the album.

And that is so cool that Bernie used to visit his message board. Man, I wish I had known that. Like Soda, I can think of a ton of questions that I'd like to ask him - #1 being ... who the hell is saying "you in some trouble boy" in On the Border.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I've also wondered if Bernie's solo song As Time Goes On was a message to the Eagles as well or ruminations on his time with the Eagles, especially the third verse.

I really admire how he seems to have no bitterness towards the band and never says anything bad about them, not even when asked to comment on the remark Don made (I wish I could find his reply to that, but it was something along the lines of "Actually, Patti wrote the first verse and helped me write the chorus" and left it at that. No condemnation of Don personally.)

Chaim, thanks for clarifying that Don apologized and they're cool with each other. I think Don wrote that letter to the magazine in the heat of the moment and later realized it was uncalled for. Good for him for telling Bernie so.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

By the way, if you want to listen to As Time Goes On:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=38020765

Coincidentally, this song came up on my iPod a few minutes ago. It really is a sweet song and overly maligned, IMHO. It made me feel all mellowed out.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Coincidentally, this song came up on my iPod a few minutes ago. It really is a sweet song and overly maligned, IMHO. It made me feel all mellowed out.
    This song was a real favourite of mine when I was a teenager. It had nothing to do with my "life situation" or anything, it just clicked. I never link songs to my own life anyway...I still love the song!

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

The article titled "Henley Rips Patti Reagan" can be found here on the second page if you scroll down on the right:

http://www.eaglesfans.com/info/artic...andomnotes.pdf

It says a lot about what a cool guy Bernie is when he responds to Henley's defamation of his song ("smarmy cocktail music" ) with total bewilderment and the statement "I really like Don". I'm glad to know that Henley apologized.

If there were any clashes in the band it was between Bernie and Glenn. Bernie wasn't ok with Glenn acting as post facto leader of the band and the fact that his acoustic, folk, bluegrass leanings were being pushed to the side in favor of more stadium rock. I also read that Glenn would jokingly/mockingly refer to "Journey of the Sorcerer" as "Banjoland" which I'm sure infuriated Bernie and is pretty uncool imo. And Bernie quit after the OOTN tour which ended in October of '75 but it wasn't announced until December which allowed them the time to get Joe on board.
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Very admirable restraint on Bernie's part.

As far as how Bernie and Glenn got along... well, I think there probably was some trouble when Glenn asserted himself (understandably), but I've never heard Glenn trash Bernie / Bernie's music to the press or vice versa. Of course, I might have missed something, but neither man seems to hold a grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    What it boils down to is Henley was/is insecure
    This isn't just directed at you, pueblo, because I have seen other posters do this as well - but it really makes me wince when I see people making these kind of "armchair psychoanalysis" statements that attribute the guys' actions to emotional issues. We don't know them and we certainly don't know their personal struggles or what psychological needs drive them. JMHO.

He thought we were selling out from the very beginning. To me, the point was to reach as many people as possible. To Bernie, I think he saw that as meaning we had to soften our sound, to commercialize, which wasn't the case at all.
    From the first time I read this passage, it has made no sense to me whatsoever.