Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

Default Re: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

It amazes me how many people don't care about the environment anymore

Border Desperado

it comes down to a world view thing.

When I work with organizations we start with one common understanding about equality/equity. One half of the work force sees it as 'everyone gets the same thing' and the other half sees it as 'everyone gets what they need'

we have to come to respect and understand both sides and realize those core beliefs are ingrained in us... most folks don't change their mind to one side or the other and if they do, the same number switch sides too.

Coupled with an inculcated selfishness and only doing what we have to when we have to for selfish benefit and with a commonly held position that as the dominant sentient being on the planet, it is ours to tame and do with as we choose and the assumption that we are small and not powerful enough to make huge global changes while trumpeting our abilities (and encouraging greater capability) in being able to wipe ourselves off the planet....

Is it any wonder things aren't kind of messed up?

One of our religious leaders blamed Katrina and the destruction of New Orleans on alternative lifestyles. What will he say about Nashville? (He might blame it on Chely Wright, but she lives in New York.)

We want cheap oil to continue an extractive lifestyle that we all enjoy in the west, but even if we max out our efforts, we know for sure that the oil economy can only run for another 80 years at most at current consumption rates...

It seems we make every single challenge into an emotional/political screaming match when what we need to do is to recognize our situation without emotion and accept what the data says. 99% of all scientists who work in fields having to do with climate and geology are in agreement on specific issues regarding our environment, yet when we listen (even for a few moments) to news reports their efforts to report the story provide equal time for the fringiest of fringe ideas making it appear that there is serious debate within the scientific community.

We live in another troubled age (I think they all are) and a divisive age where we've lost respect for ourselves through our outright dismissal of others. If you have traveled to eastern Europe, you can see the effects of a lack of environmental law and enforcement. When you see places that no one thought (because of short term profit) to protect lots of wildlife areas, they are ruined forever (okay several thousand years.)

It will only be when folks start to see the environment in the long view and in their families self interest that we'll see wholesale changes in behavior.... and that may well be better put in the Johnny Mathis song (later covered by Donny Osmond.)

I hope the folks figure out how to cap that well. And I hope we learn something from the experience...
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

I know this doesn't sound as important as the Floods in Tennessee, but think of all the wildlife this spill will kill.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, first of all, I think this and the flood in Tennessee are two very different situations, so I don't think it makes any sense to even compare the two events. However, as I was reading the posts in the flood thread a few minutes ago, the news coverage the oil spill is kind of overshadowing the coverage of the floods. So, this story is getting lots of attention, as well it should, because, as many of us have already remarked, this will affect all of us for years to come. The far-reaching consequences of this boggles the mind.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Baldwin County emergency officials and B-P Contractors are in full clean-up mode, after dozens of tar balls started to wash up on Gulf Shores beaches early Tuesday morning. It is the first oil-related sighting east of Mobile Bay. Meanwhile, BP says a second, smaller containment dome has reached the sea floor, but hasn't yet been placed over the blown-out well. Crews plan to pump in heated water and methanol so ice won't build up like it did in the first larger dome. The box should be in position by Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    The far-reaching consequences of this boggles the mind.
    It upsets me to even think about it. I don't understand how this could happen. Why didn't they have a contingency plan for this kind of thing?!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

That's what I don't get.

I work at a water supply company. You would not believe the hassels, rules, regulations, plans, etc. in case of emergency that we have to deal with. Stupid rules that are slowly but surely putting small town water plants out of business all over the country because they can't afford to upgrade them to their specifications. (Like being able to test for xmgjdlslurslureososid that could cause cancer if a person were to ingest 5000 gallons of it per day! Really!)

Why did they not have to have an emergency plan just for this purpose? Where was EPA (environmental protection agency) and DNR (Department of Natural Resources)? How did they even get to start operations without having such a back up plan in effect?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

It will get even worse when hurricane season comes. There's talk that a strong enough hurricane can push the oil into the streets of New Orleans.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Thanks for posting that - it was informative. Wow.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

With thousands of barrels of oil a day
    continuously leaking into the Gulf of Mexico, 48 percent of Floridians
    still support offshore oil drilling. Governor Charlie Crist is trying
    to plan a special session to put anamendment on the ballot that
    would forbid drilling. Has the oil spill changed your mind on offshore
    dilling?I can't believe some people still want that bull