Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you were to spend the rest of your life....

Border Desperado

Default Re: If you were to spend the rest of your life....

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's hard to say because most of these songs are designed to catch a moment, and "inhabiting" one of them keeps you in that moment forever. I guess if I were to be "stuck in a moment" as U2 put it, I'd want to be stuck in "Peaceful Easy Feeling," being with an attractive guy in the desert with a million stars all around. And hopefully a blanket underneath us so we don't get sand stuck in inconvenient places.
    the sand/beach/desert thing is not so bad.

but, it also reminds me of a joke. Two country kids decide to get married and so they jump in his truck and drive a few counties over and finally find a JP to wed them.... it is 2 am before they are finally alone and failing to find a motel with a vacancy or that is open that late, they finally decide to sleep in an old cemetary.

The grass is damp so, they find a raised, flat grave marker to bed down on. Within a few moments the young lovebirds are deep in the throes of passion, so happy to be wed, so happy to be together even if it happens to be in humble circumstances.

The next morning as the sun began to wake, the couple stirred.. "we better get out of here before folks show up," said our young lothario. "my back is really hurting," his young bride moaned.

"Oh baby, I'll take you to the doctor" and they hurried off to the doctors office. The doctor began his examination asking where it hurt etc... finally, he said, "young lady, when were you born?" "Why I was born in 1992 sir," she proclaimed. The doctor looked puzzled and replied, "Well, that can't be right."

The young bride responded, "why would you say that?"
    "Well," the doctor replied, "It says right here on your back that you were born in 1892 and died in 1978."

badom bom.

Thank you, thank you very much.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    the sand/beach/desert thing is not so bad.

but, it also reminds me of a joke. Two country kids decide to get married and so they jump in his truck and drive a few counties over and finally find a JP to wed them.... it is 2 am before they are finally alone and failing to find a motel with a vacancy or that is open that late, they finally decide to sleep in an old cemetary.

The grass is damp so, they find a raised, flat grave marker to bed down on. Within a few moments the young lovebirds are deep in the throes of passion, so happy to be wed, so happy to be together even if it happens to be in humble circumstances.

The next morning as the sun began to wake, the couple stirred.. "we better get out of here before folks show up," said our young lothario. "my back is really hurting," his young bride moaned.

"Oh baby, I'll take you to the doctor" and they hurried off to the doctors office. The doctor began his examination asking where it hurt etc... finally, he said, "young lady, when were you born?" "Why I was born in 1992 sir," she proclaimed. The doctor looked puzzled and replied, "Well, that can't be right."

The young bride responded, "why would you say that?"
    "Well," the doctor replied, "It says right here on your back that you were born in 1892 and died in 1978."

badom bom.

Thank you, thank you very much.
    He'll be here all week folks!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I'm a huge fan of much of the Eagles' music but they're not exactly a sunshine pop band. I can't think of a single answer to this question . . .

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    You got that right, most of the songs are faithless women, ramblin' men, broken hearts, cheating, driving, desolation, loneliness, darkness.
    [/B]
    sounds pretty good to me!

Border Desperado

Hey! Thanks for adding driving, desolation, lonliness and darkness? Although I would have added ruthlessness, violence, rampant, wanton sexuality and death <G>. And remember, I'm traveling BETWEEN the two guys so I figured that was a GOOD option, know what I mean, basically your 'birds of a feather' or menage a trio?
    Sounds like you've got the kiva on 10 at the pueblo there!

Randy can go up high and Bernie likes to work down low!

The wind outside is cold
    Restless feeling in my soul
    Tempting me to get away
    But there's no place a man can go
    God, will you lead me where I roam?
    Help me not to let my feelings show

Wait a minute, I didn't think about it enough - definitely NIGHTINGALE. Of course, Jackson Browne wrote that, and it was a last-minute addition at that . . .

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

You got that right, most of the songs are faithless women, ramblin' men, broken hearts, cheating, not exactly a cheerful place to spend the rest of your life.
    This is true. I've thought about this so many times. The Eagles rarely sang a fun song about love. They were usually breaking up. Maybe that's how it always was with them since they had so many women! They weren't really in to the long-term relationships! Surely they had them though?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

There are a couple of 'long term relationship' songs on LROOE - Centre Of The Universe and It's Your World Now. I also consider No More Cloudy Days to be about the beginning of a relationship that will hopefully last.

Stuck on the Border

I thought Boys Of Summer was about remembering a relationship, not a current relationship.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I thought Boys Of Summer was about remembering a relationship, not a current relationship.
    Great song. (Mike Campbell had the music all together and took it to Tom Petty for the heartbreakers and TP passed.... gotta love that)

My take on the song (maybe totally wrong) is the relationship is very recently broken... not a long past relationship, but one that still has all the passion (you know where you call and have nothing to say, drive by the house, can't sleep, can't eat period...)

He is still very much in love with her and she has decided to move on, but he is pretty sure that her flings will not bring her the fulfillment their relationship did... that she is having a 'summer thing' rather than a complete break.

But, the breakup was in the past though very recent... so, that could be 'in the past' or in the present... to me, it seems too recent to be the wanderlust of relationships past.

We've probably all had heartache... when it is recent... it is the heart pounding panic of the beat of the song... when the loss is over a long period of time.. it is paced more like hollywood waltz or the last resort...