Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: One of These Nights

Default One of These Nights

Did Randy Meisner sing lead on the song? This is what Wikipedia says:

One of These Nights" is a song written by Don Henley and Glenn Frey and recorded by the American rock band Eagles. The title track from their One of These Nights album, the song became their second single to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart and also helped propel the album to number one. The single version was shortened from the album version of the song, removing most of the song's intro and most of its fade-out, as well. Don Henley is lead vocalist on the verses, while Randy Meisner is lead vocalist on the refrain. It also features a guitar solo from Don Felder
    According to songwriter Glenn Frey, the song is about putting things off. "We've all said, 'one of these nights I'm gonna do something -- get that girl, make that money, find that house. We all have our dreams - a vision we hope will come true someday. When that 'someday' will come is up to each of us."
    The B-side, "Visions", features lead vocals by guitarist Don Felder, the only such Eagles song.
    [edit] Personnel

Default Re: The truth about "One of These Nights"

If you read closely, It says He is the lead vocal on the REFRAIN.

i know that's what i meant, but i heard that he just hit a high note but didnt sing lead on the refrain.

Like I tell my students, just because it's on Wikipedia doesn't mean it's true. Wikipedia is user-edited by anyone who wants to do so - regardless of their level of knowledge - with very little quality control.

I have never heard it characterized that way - Randy sings a prominent harmony, but a harmony nonetheless. Someone should fix it (maybe I will later).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Randy certainly sings the most prominent part on the chorus but you can hear Glenn clearly too.

That comment about 'most of the fade-out' being removed for the single is interesting. I have always thought the song has one of the longest fade-outs ever, with all the falsetto vamping. It's interesting that in the very same year the Bee Gees started moving towards this R&B type of music with Jive Talkin' and Nights On Broadway. I don't remember 'most' of the introduction being removed from the single though. I think that's incorrect.

I am not sure what I think of Glenn's alleged interpretation of the song. I could give him a couple of suggestions.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I also agree that Randy's vocals on OOTN are harmony, not lead. In addition, the album credits only Don as the lead vocalist on the song.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I also agree that Randy's vocals on OOTN are harmony, not lead. In addition, the album credits only Don as the lead vocalist on the song.
    I also think that Randy's vocals are harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Randy certainly sings the most prominent part on the chorus but you can hear Glenn clearly too.
    Isn't Don the other background vocalist? I don't think Glenn sings on it at all

Soda..about your comment about the Wikipedia...I looked up Glenn and he's listed as being "singer,actor & painter".........I always wondered about that...I have never heard that he paints...does he???????...or is it another mistake??..does anyone know?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

SS - I definitely think Glenn is a prominent part of the harmonies on the chorus of One of These Nights. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all the band members are singing on the chorus. Unfortunately, the credits on the OOTN album only list the lead vocalist for each song so they're not much help here.

And GH, I don't believe I ever remember hearing or reading anything about Glenn painting before so it would be news to me if he does.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016