Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh (rock star) v. Joe Walsh (candidate)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Joe mentions in the press

I'm definitely in agreement that Joe Walsh (the rockstar) could maybe use some better legal representation. Very bad move by Mr. Paterno - maybe he'd rather be Peter (the comedian).

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

As a "legal document" that letter pretty much sucked. But it was, I think, maybe intended as a light hearted way of being to the point without being more threatening than he had to be.

In other ways, it sounded like it was from someone who truly thought that as soon as it was brought to the "alleged" violator's attention that the song would be dropped. You know, taken for granted. And as such, he decided to have a little fun with it.

On the other hand, he might just be a lawyer who is right half the time...a half wit.

MikeA

According to the Daily Herald, Joe Walsh (Candidate) is going to pull a DeVore and put the video back up on his site in the next few days. If it becomes a matter of pride, Paterno et al might feel compelled to take it to court despite the unprofessional beginning of that snarky letter to the press.

As someone who has done a lot of debating, I know that there is always an angle you can work if you want to keep an argument going. This is especially true with regard to lawsuits, where law is mutable and new precedents can be set if you are able to win despite the fact that current laws don't quite line up with your argument.

I still don't understand why they didn't quietly approach the Candidate... maybe they wanted to deter other politicians from doing something similar lest they too suffer the public humiliation of being on the receiving end of Paterno's devastating sarcasm and falling prey to his razor-sharp wit? A fate worse than death!

We'll see. One thing DeVore found out is these guys and their lawyers don't like to be publicly defied.

Since it appears this might drag on, I've made it into a separate thread as I did for Henley v. DeVore.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Joe Walsh (rock star) v. Joe Walsh (candidate)

What is it with Joe Walsh tunes and political agendas? This person has re-written the lyrics to Life's Been Good to bash Sarah Palin, which is funny in some places but a bit grammatically awkward.

Sarah Palin: Show Me the Money (by lynnrockets)

A conservative lawyer, Gene Quinn, opines on the case here. He really rips Paterno a new one, lol.

However, I appreciate Quinn's clarification of the legal distinction between "satire" v. "parody" - according to this article, a satire is "a remake version used to criticize something other than the original song." Viewed in this light, I think that Joe Walsh (Candidate)'s song may qualify as satire and therefore not receive a parody's protection.

I don't know all the lyrics of the song because I didn't bother to write them down when I watched the video, but ones that are oft-cited in the press are these:

"We've all had enough / Of this health-care stuff / We're losing more jobs every day." "We've all been betrayed/by this cap and trade." "Pelosi and Reid wanna screw ya." "Joe Walsh is just the perfect guy to lead the way."

That does seem to lean towards satire as explained by Quinn, who has no reason to spin that particular aspect since it does not strengthen the Candidate's case.

Out on the Border

I think all of this is only one thing... a good laugh!

I really can't believe a multi-multi-multi-millionaire rock-star is making an issue about this...

Looks like the Candidate decided to go ahead and cooperate. Seems like he's been having a hard time politically lately so I guess he figured he didn't need one more problem.

Here's an interesting article on it that actually has a working link to the campaign video:

Candidate Joe Walsh vs. Rocker Joe Walsh: a DMCA Knockout
    by Justin Silverman

Goodonya Joe Walsh!!!!!!!!!! (the ROCKER!)

MikeA

This is only tangentially related but I found it hilarious nonetheless. These rock stars need to have less common names!

Elect Phil Collins

Joe Walsh (the candidate) was an attendee at Phil Collins (the candidate)'s meeting. Gotta love it!

You're right Soda. You'd never hear a candidate named Axl Rose! (Or Slash)
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.