Page 270 of 301 FirstFirst ... 170220260266267268269270271272273274280 ... LastLast
Results 2,691 to 2,700 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Odd list. The most surprising part is they don't consider Desperado to be essential and I'd say On the Border is at least as good as One of These Nights. Actually, I'd say that all Eagles studio albums are essential.

I love OTB! Desperado is my favourite with OTB running a close second, so I certainly don't agree with the writer's assessment!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

On the Border is pretty far down on my list of favorite Eagles albums, around 5th or 6th place. As a whole, I feel that it is missing something. It has a few more songs on it that I don't like as opposed to most of the other albums. That being said, all 7 Eagles albums are at least 4 out of 5 star quality for me, so it's still a great album. It's far from being on the avoid list.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Elizasong View Post
    It's interesting how the albums are rated in this article. Since I've honestly never heard all of their albums except for Eden, Desporado and Greatest Hits, does the majority agree to avoid "On The Border"?
    OMG, never, EVER, avoid an Eagles album! lol All Eagles albums are must haves!

And I can't say it's my favorite, but some of the songs on it are right up there in my top ten! Already Gone and The Best of My Love among them!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quite frankly OOTN would be my 'avoid' album as it has always been my least favourite. I don't love OTB as much as I used to but it contains Good Day In Hell & therefore should not be avoided. The Long Run has more filler than OTB.

Thanks for clarifying everyone. Brooke, I will be listening to it regardless as I want to hear all Eagles songs that I am not familiar with.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I really like OTB and it's got a lot of songs on it that I love too like "Already Gone", "James Dean", "The Best of my Love", "Ol' 55", and now "Midnight Flyer". I played "Midnight Flyer" for my Mom as even she wasn't too familiar with it and we both personally love it now as it's one of the most bluegrass style songs I've heard them do. My family has a long line of bluegrass and country musicians in it and I do like it too, so I think that's another reason I like this album and "Desperado" too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Elizasong View Post
    It's interesting how the albums are rated in this article. Since I've honestly never heard all of their albums except for Eden, Desporado and Greatest Hits, does the majority agree to avoid "On The Border"?

I'm surprised they included solo albums.
    My opinion as to whether you should avoid On The Border can be summarised in one word. NO!

On The Border is my third favourite Eagles album behind Hotel California and Desperado, and is in my Top 30 albums overall (out of a collection of about 80). I was listening to it just yesterday and listening to the opening of Already Gone dispelled any notion of it being an album to avoid. It has three songs that I consider to be in my Top 20 Eagles songs - the aforementioned Already Gone, My Man and Good Day In Hell. I really like all of the other songs, not a weak tune to be found IMO, and I love the musical approach. It has more of a rock feel than the debut album or Desperado, but there is still plenty of country flavour. I personally feel that none of the Eagles albums are anywhere near 'avoid' status, as I think they all contain at least 3-4 great songs. If I was ranking them honestly right now, I would probably put One Of These Nights last, but even when I think of that album it really is only a couple of songs that I don't rate very highly, and there's several songs I love on there. Out of the four bands where I have complete or near-complete sets of albums (the others being Floyd, Zeppelin and Dire Straits), the 'weakest' Eagles album is IMO the strongest compared to my least favourite records by the other three.

I'd also say that if you've only heard the hits from OTB, Already Gone is much more representative of the overall feel of the record than The Best Of My Love. I think BOML is the softest and most mellow song on the album, partly due to the production style - whereas even the most 'country' flavoured of the remaining songs like Midnight Flyer or My Man still have the guitars (or banjo or pedal steel if they are the lead instrument) and drums relatively loud in the mix, on BOML these are much more in the background supporting the vocals. Maybe that's just my perception, but I think there is a difference. I can totally get why they used Glyn Johns' production on the song, and the end result is beautiful, but it is also very apparent to me why they wanted to replace him as I think that just wasn't the sound they wanted for the rest of the album. Oddly, I don't think YNCLAL sounds particularly different from the Szymczyk-produced songs.

Of the solo albums mentioned, I can definitely recommend the excellent But Seriously, Folks - you get the classic Life's Been Good as well as several cool lesser known tracks which feature the other Eagles (Felder plays pedal steel on Second Hand Store and I think guitar on At The Station, while Don, Glenn and Tim provide harmony vocals elsewhere). I'd agree they probably shouldn't have listed the solo works with the Eagles albums though - they could have saved those for a separate article or two.
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 02-26-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks for your detailed review JCL. I took OTB and OOTN out of the library and downloaded them to my Itunes and Iphone. I'm enjoying both of them and soon have my favorites. One song from OTB that I didn't know which album it was from when when i heard it I loved it was Ol' 55. I also like "You never Cry Like a Lover".

Here's a cool article where the guy talks about On the Border album.

http://johnrieber.com/2016/03/14/on-...st-of-my-love/