Page 198 of 301 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248298 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Bill Symzyck on recording Hotel California. It's a bit technical for me this evening.

Stuck on the Border

Here's a fuller version of how Glyn Johns came to produce the Eagles. The song that won him over was "Take the Devil"! Not quite what I was expecting.
    EAGLES
    Eagles (Geffen, 1972)
    The original Eagles lineup decamped to London to record their debut, and shortly thereafter became a money-spinning country-rock behemoth…

I was approached by David Geffen and went to see the band in a little club in the middle of nowhere. Frankly, I wasn’t impressed. They were trying to be a rock’n’roll band but they couldn’t play it to save their lives. I didn’t get it, but Geffen kept going on and on so eventually I agreed to see them rehearse. Their set was OK, but as we were about to take a break somebody said, “Hold on, why don’t we play that ballad Randy [Meisner] has written?” They picked up acoustic guitars, stood around the piano and played “Take The Devil”, with the four of them singing. And that was it. Astonishing. So I tried to introduce more of that acoustic sound and concentrate on vocal blend and arrangements. On “Take It Easy”, I got Bernie [Leadon] to play double-time banjo; they all thought it was a bonkers idea but it worked. It was already a great song, but that one little thing made it different. Some of them weren’t over enamoured with that first record, but that wasn’t apparent when we were making it. Once they had a couple of hits off it that was all OK, apparently!
    Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/node/19764#xGEmF1WYmqHG6epw.99

Oh. Is that the name of that song they sing in the HOTE documentary that won Glyn over? I had always wonder what was the name of that song.

Stuck on the Border

As far as I can tell, "Take the Devil" doesn't have four-part harmonies and doesn't seem to lend itself to that approach. I wonder if it could have been "Most of Us Are Sad" which has a lot of harmonies and has Randy singing lead.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Bill Symzyck on recording Hotel California. It's a bit technical for me this evening.
    Funny how he mentions Fleetwood Mac and the rivalry between them, and says they were "dating each other".
    Sounds like Bill would've been cool to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    As far as I can tell, "Take the Devil" doesn't have four-part harmonies and doesn't seem to lend itself to that approach. I wonder if it could have been "Most of Us Are Sad" which has a lot of harmonies and has Randy singing lead.
    I bet it was "Most of Us Are Sad." I've always wondered what the song was, too. Very cool! Interesting reads.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

I found these articles because I was doing some research on Hotel California in Baja, Mexico after Soda posted about a Hotel California tequila she and HB found and enjoyed

so I went on to post about how cool the websites looked for the tequila and the hotel

turns out maybe we shouldn't want to stay there for Eagles' reasons.
    otherwise it looks like a very nice place.

If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That account from Glyn Johns that UTW posted varies a bit from other accounts he has given, including his interview in the HOTE doc, where he says the song that grabbed his attention was Silver Dagger. In the early days, the guys used to sing one of it's verses as a lead in to Take It Easy. The lyrics are:

My daddy is a handsome devil
    He's got a chain five miles long
    And on every link a heart does dangle
    Of another maid he's loved and wronged.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

*Puts on pedantic hat* They actually sang it in the past tense *Removes hat*

I too had always believed it was Silver Dagger that drew him in - it would certainly have shown off their skill in a much shorter time and better way than MOUAS.

Edit - for those who don't know, this is Silver Dagger. Don also joined in from behind the drums and literally as they pulled away at the end Glenn would play the first chord to Take It Easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khZco-St61c

I just found out about Silver Dagger until last week when I asked a question on another board I'm on. I always had wonder what was the name of that song they were singing. The funny thing is its in the closing credits and I just didn't notice it.

I've never heard of that song until HOTE.

And when you think of it. Later down the road, 7BR took the place of this song to feature their tight harmonies. 7BR would lead into HL.