Page 195 of 301 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205245295 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Not the press per se, but from a newspaper column written by British actor and all-round nice guy John Challis:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...m-road-7346413

The final question was ‘What road trip do you dream about?’

Not hard to answer as me and the wife talk about it all the time.

We want to drive across America in a red Mustang convertible with the hood down, playing Beach Boys and The Eagles and Chuck Berry, taking in Route 66 all the way from Chicago to LA.
    He's also previously mentioned a love for the Eagles here:

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainme...s-John-Challis

EAGLES: HOTEL CALIFORNIA

(Warner)

I was always a big fan but on this record the fantastic guitarist Joe Walsh beefed them up a bit from their original sound. There are great guitar breaks and I love the existentialist lyrics of Hotel California, a favourite track.

Having worked in California I saw where they were coming from.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

To me, this show they put together--from their performance to the production--is the most satisfying of all Eagles shows. People had better see it quickly because the three hour and fifteen minute set is coming to an end. I'm not saying they're coming to an end, but this version of their live performance is. This show was written to go around once, not twice. That's how it'll be.
    This is what I figured was coming and soon, and why I just bought a ticket to the Omaha show. Trying to get in as many of these as I can. It's a shame they missed the entire Commonwealth of Virginia and the state of Maryland.

As for the bit about new music, it's a shame Irv feels that way. I'm not sure it's a disrespect so much as people being clueless. A lot of Classic Rock stations do not play new music and the stations that do play new music aren't fit to listen to. So, a lot of people out there just don't even know an artist they like has new music available. If they utilized social media more I think they'd find more interest.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

This is from a 2007 interview with photogrpaher Tom Wright:
    You introduced Townshend and Joe Walsh to one another. What was it like to watch the two of them jam, in private?
    The first time was in a Holiday Inn room in Detroit. They were both playing acoustics. It started out really slow and mellow, with none of that typical thing people might expect, where each guy is trying to outgun the other. It was more like, “Who’s the more humble? Who’s the more low-key and understated?” But then it just took off, like the fog lifting to reveal something else. It’s like going over to Picasso’s house to watch him and Monet paint at the same time. Which guy do you look at? Who do you concentrate on? It doesn’t get any better than that.
    On a good night, who was the best live band you ever saw?
    They sort of fall into their own categories. Vibe-wise, a great Faces show was totally different from a great Who show. A great Who show was scary. The music was explosive, and when it finished, you felt glad you had survived. When you walked away from a great Rod Stewart and Faces show, you felt like you had been locked in a pub with a hundred people who had just had the time of their life. You walked out smiling. With the Eagles, particularly in recent years, you walk out feeling like you’ve seen Pavarotti. The perfection level is beyond measure.
    http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...0712-2012.aspx
    (the book is really good)

BTW, if anyone is in Austin, Texas and can make an excuse for some research, Tom Wright has an archive of his photographs there. Here's the catalogue.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 07-04-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Awww, those quotes are so great!! In a guitar duel, I'm sure I'd be watching Joe, in spite of the fact that I've seen him play countless times. His playing is more than how it sounds, it's watching him get into it. It's like he is the guitar.

As for the second quote, yes, our guys do it up great each and every time.
    VK

Thinking about this for a while, my favorite part of those quotes is "particularly in recent years". What an accomplishment! To be so great and then be even better. If he's seen the HOTE shows, I bet he's definitely feeling the same way.
    VK

Have you noticed that people in the music business, including musicians, are on the most part, very complimentary, even in awe, of the Eagles while the so called critics who review their shows tend to pan them?

Stuck on the Border

I believe Tom Wright prefers the rougher, more energetic sound of groups like The Who and The James Gang but he still has a lot of respect for the Eagles.

I've been listening to a bootleg of the "Wrong NIght" concert and I'm stunned at how near perfect it is despite all the drama that was going on back- and on-stage. You really wouldn't know it was a band breaking up.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for those posts, tlr and UTW. Always fun to read those kind of comments.

And thanks for finding that interview with Irving too, UTW, although it wasn't particularly fun to read his comments, I must say. I agree with others though that I won't be hugely surprised if they wind up the HOTE tour after Australia. However, they haven't been to nearly the number of cities on this tour as they have traditionally done in the past. The band always say they plan things a year at a time, so I'm gonna and some more that they'll want to schedule more live dates later next year.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Those comments by Irving about telling them not to write new music beggar belief. I would have thought it wasn't really up to him to dictate their creative direction. He seems to have completely forgotten what a huge success LROOE was. To make this assumption that fans don't want to hear anything new at all is an insult to the intelligence to those of us who wallowed in all the After Hours songs & I would happily do it again for the Eagles. I have never gone to the Eagles to see a nostalgia act. The best shows I saw were the LROOE shows, but apparently this is a minority opinion. I am not going to see them in March to see a nostalgia act either, but if that is what they have become, I suppose I should be glad the manager has finally admitted it outright.
    Last edited by Freypower; 07-05-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Yes, I was a bit upset at Irving's remark myself. Pink Floyd just let it slip they are releasing new material. I wonder if they know their fans don't want it? In all seriousness, I did wonder if maybe Irving has just lost his touch, and perhaps it's time for him to retire. That won't happen, so we'll see how this plays out.
    VK