Page 182 of 301 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Agreed Soda on all counts.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

The last couple concerts I went to, they did allow a few pictures to be taken. I didn't feel comfortable taking advantage of it because I know how they feel about it. I sort of wish I had at the Raleigh concert since I remember so little of it now. I might feel differently in Sept and take a few if they still allow it, but we'll see. Glenn very definitely shook his head 'no' at me when he saw my phone at the NYC shows last November, when pictures were allowed, so his thoughts on it were pretty easy to read.

None of them strike me as the type, and Don especially, to do something that goes against what they believe in just to look 'cool' or to 'try and fit in'. In a lot of ways I admire that. They don't need to prove anything to anybody. They may be in the minority in how they handle their concerts, but they are far from the only ones who feel the way they do.

I do think the 'black shirts' (who weren't anywhere in sight in Cincinnati) were more than a little over-eager at getting people to sit the second night in LA. Of course, they weren't nearly responsive enough, in my opinion, the first night.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers
    None of them strike me as the type, and Don especially, to do something that goes against what they believe in just to look 'cool' or to 'try and fit in'. In a lot of ways I admire that. They don't need to prove anything to anybody.
    Only to a certain degree. These men work in the entertainment industry. They know they need to care about how they are perceived.

A simplified scale:

AWESOMELY COOL--------------------------------------UTTERLY LAME

The Eagles may not care about being perceived as "awesomely cool" anymore, but somehow I don't think they want to be perceived as "utterly lame" either. Right now they are closer to the left, but each one of these rants moves them in the wrong direction!

I agree that it is admirable to stick to one's beliefs even if they are not popular. However, you don't have to go against what you believe in order to exercise tact and restraint in what you choose to talk about. We're talking about refraining from repeatedly ranting about fan behavior, not speaking out against human rights violations or something.

If Don truly believes he has a moral imperative to exhort Eagles fans to turn away from their sinful concert behaviors lest they incur the band's wrath and be cast into the outer darkness by security... if he believes that talking about the music instead of delivering a fan behavior sermon is an abhorrent betrayal of his belief system.... then I guess we could admire his single-minded devotion to his moral imperative if not the imperative itself.

I imagine he has a bit more perspective than that, though. I just wish that sense of perspective would give him a nudge during these interviews.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I totally get the band's stance on videoing and people standing at concerts when others aren't and blocking the view of those behind them, on a song that doesn't rate standing up (think Saturday Night vs. Life In The Fast Lane). What's more, I TOTALLY AGREE with that opinion. As for videos and incessant photos (of which I've been guilty of myself) I agree with that one as well, from the perspective of having to watch an entire concert through the cell phone of the person in front. You look at it as a rant against fan behavior and how totally lame it is. I look at it as sticking up for the great fans they have who aren't natured to make a scene or even strongly ask someone to put their camera down lower or to sit down. I feel they are sticking up for the vast majority of the people who have paid for a seat. Perhaps in the interview, Don wanted to warn people that if they plan on being an inconsiderate jackass, perhaps they shouldn't waste their money going to the concerts because it won't be tolerated?

Anyway, while Don was the one in the interview, he's not the only one in the band that feels this way. It's Glenn that tells the fans during the concerts, if needed. We can all rant against Don, but it's a band decision, and it surely wasn't Don that shook his head at my camera, and it wasn't Don who motioned to me to sit down during the second Atlantic City concert in 2012.

They are one of the most successful bands in the history of music, they're still at the top of their game, and are still selling out large arenas as a single band. Most of those who still tour from the 70's and 80's have to double up with another big-named band in order to fill the seats. I'm thinking they know what they're doing, and what they're doing is working. I've heard far too many people sit in those seats and hear the 'rules' about cameras and standing and feel a sense of relief over it to think our guys are totally out to lunch on this one. I thought he handled it well in the interview, and I choose to look at it as being considerate--letting people know the rules before spending money on a ticket. In my opinion, it'll sell more seats than not.

I agree they should be careful about how they get their point across, and it doesn't work to be boorish just because a few in the audience are being boorish. However, I didn't feel the statements in the interview crossed any lines.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    If they hate YouTube so much, they could always have released a DVD of the LROOE tour, and one of this tour. That appears to be asking too much of them.
    Exactamundo. We saw them on the LROEE tour and the DVD would be the perfect gift for our Dad (that we could borrow) - he's forever asking if they've put one out yet. can't believe they didn't record any of it ...

SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot...-charisma.html

Stuck on the Border

As the Farewell 1 DVD was such a success, maybe they're waiting for the Australian tour to record the current tour.

WARNING: I realize this post is way overlong but I'm having trouble editing myself, and this is a lazy day for me as school doesn't start up again for a few days. What's below is the result of too much time on my hands.

I totally get the band's stance on videoing and people standing at concerts when others aren't and blocking the view of those behind them, on a song that doesn't rate standing up (think Saturday Night vs. Life In The Fast Lane). What's more, I TOTALLY AGREE with that opinion. As for videos and incessant photos (of which I've been guilty of myself) I agree with that one as well, from the perspective of having to watch an entire concert through the cell phone of the person in front.
    You were the same nice person and genuine fan when you took videos and photos as you are now, yet according to Don's definition, you were "incredibly selfish" back then. Maybe you've bought into his characterization of your past behavior, but I think you're being too hard on yourself. I think you were just as good a fan then as you are now.

I think the same about Peekaboo, Freypower, Maleah, and the many other genuine fans who have taken more than a few photos during a show.

You look at it as a rant against fan behavior and how totally lame it is. I look at it as sticking up for the great fans they have who aren't natured to make a scene or even strongly ask someone to put their camera down lower or to sit down. I feel they are sticking up for the vast majority of the people who have paid for a seat. Perhaps in the interview, Don wanted to warn people that if they plan on being an inconsiderate jackass, perhaps they shouldn't waste their money going to the concerts because it won't be tolerated?
    I have taken photos, and I cherish the memories they evoke long after the concert is over. I took two videos of Timothy B. Schmit at his solo shows, one song in 2009 and one song in 2011, because they're so rare. I took a video of a couple songs from Glenn's Los Angeles show in 2008 when he performed songs he never has before and probably never will again. Only one came out, but it is the only known recording in existence of him doing "Werewolves of London." I have stood during "Already Gone", "Those Shoes", "Rocky Mountain Way", "How Long" and "Seven Bridges Road" when people around me weren't. I have been to shows where people around me stood at NO TIME during the ENTIRE SHOW... not even when the Eagles said it was OK. Do I have to stay in my seat during "The Long Run" because the people around me aren't moved by the music and would rather rest their feet and eat nachos? I'm just as "great" a fan as they are, if not more so. Make no mistake - it's the casual fans, not the "great fans", who make up the majority of the audience... chatting through the show, making multiple beer runs during performances, leaving early to beat traffic... THEY get to determine whether or not I stand?

Then again maybe they're considered better fans than I am by some, because according to the definitions provided, I'm NOT a "great fan." I'm one of the "incredibly selfish" fans who is a "great annoyance" to the band. That's how this article makes me feel, anyway, even if Don didn't mean it like that... but maybe he did. I don't know. That's the problem.

See, this type of interview doesn't just alienate jackasses - and I do recognize there are some jackasses. I've seen them; I've been next to them and behind them myself. I understand why your personal experience with someone filming in front of you the whole time informs your opinion. I agree that extreme behavior like that isn't cool, and it surprises me that no one said anything to this person. I am not an advocate of jackassery (I'm making up words now, lol).

This interview lumps us all together, though. That hurts. It hurts worse because I believe they're nice guys. I believe they care about their fans; I know firsthand that Glenn does. I don't believe Don is intentionally being hurtful... but he's being hurtful nonetheless.

I'm lucky enough to be recognized by Glenn on occasion, and I treasure that. He's my favorite male singer and someone I ardently admire. It's hard for me to post this kind of thing about his band's policies. I don't enjoy criticizing the Eagles. I don't do it lightly, and I certainly don't do it mean-spiritedly. If I see them unfairly maligned, I'm right there defending them. Evidence of that is all over this board. However, I'm sick of this and I feel I need to say something. I'm not going to keep quiet just because I love them. That would go against MY beliefs. It would also make me a hypocrite.

Anyway, while Don was the one in the interview, he's not the only one in the band that feels this way. It's Glenn that tells the fans during the concerts, if needed. We can all rant against Don, but it's a band decision, and it surely wasn't Don that shook his head at my camera, and it wasn't Don who motioned to me to sit down during the second Atlantic City concert in 2012.
    Oh, I know Don and Glenn feel the same way about videoing and standing. It's just Glenn has the good sense not to insult some fans in his interviews.

If Glenn were the one saying such harsh things, then I'd be criticizing him. I don't change my views once I find out they might displease Glenn Frey. I give his opinions serious consideration because they come from someone I respect, but I make up my own mind.

I do refrain from the unsanctioned behaviors out of deference to the Eagles' wishes because it's their show, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm not going to say Don's the champion of the "great fans" in this article when that group apparently doesn't include me.

I'll be a good little girl during the shows, and I'll have a good time anyway. The Eagles will make me forget all the bad feelings once they start singing those amazing songs with those incredible voices, provided they don't bring me down again by chastising people from the stage. Their music is more powerful than any of this stuff.

I still encourage people to attend their shows. The show is FANTASTIC and worth the money; the show is only spoiled if the security is really aggressive and ugly, which I don't think happens too often. I think Lissa and I just had bad luck at the LA Forum. However, if I'd gotten treated like that every time, I would've stopped going to shows. Me, who's been to so many shows, who adores the Eagles with all my heart, who thinks they've made some of the best music in the history of rock'n'roll and who runs fan sites dedicated to them, who has eagerly shoved my money into their pockets and considered it a privilege to be able to hear them play... I would've stopped going to shows.

For people like me, their shows are fantastic DESPITE this stuff, not because of it. For people like me, it serves as a distraction from the music. I know everyone is not like me, but I don't feel I should be discounted either.

They are one of the most successful bands in the history of music, they're still at the top of their game, and are still selling out large arenas as a single band. Most of those who still tour from the 70's and 80's have to double up with another big-named band in order to fill the seats. I'm thinking they know what they're doing, and what they're doing is working.
    This argument doesn't take into consideration that before they started all this, they were still selling out stadiums. What brings people in is their awesome music, not their fan behavior policies.

Plus, I think they're self-aware enough to understand that their success does not automatically validate every decision they make.

I've heard far too many people sit in those seats and hear the 'rules' about cameras and standing and feel a sense of relief over it to think our guys are totally out to lunch on this one. I thought he handled it well in the interview, and I choose to look at it as being considerate--letting people know the rules before spending money on a ticket. In my opinion, it'll sell more seats than not.
    You think these condemnations of wayward fans will make people more eager to see the Eagles. I certainly don't have any statistical proof otherwise.

However, my personal experience differs from yours when it comes to the opinions of people around me. I remember when Lissa was yelled at by security during "Already Gone" and she was threatened with expulsion - there wasn't one person around us going "YES! SO GLAD THE EAGLES ARE LOOKING OUT FOR US! KICK THAT GIRL OUTTA HERE!" They were outraged on her behalf and many of them encouraged her to stand up anyway. We, of course, were too frightened of being thrown out to do so at that point, but like I said no one I could see was cheering the Blackshirt on.

At any rate, while I see what you're saying, I don't think that this "problem" is worthy of the amount of time Don dedicates to it in the press. I think the way he harps on it distracts from the music. It's in the freaking HEADLINE!

I agree they should be careful about how they get their point across, and it doesn't work to be boorish just because a few in the audience are being boorish. However, I didn't feel the statements in the interview crossed any lines.
    That's our fundamental disagreement. I think Don was way too personal. I don't think he should say ugly and hurtful things about some of the fans, many of whom are nice people that have done such things at other shows without problems - even with encouragement from some bands.

My friend Kristin stands during the entirety of a Stevie Nicks concert, even if no one else is. She is the sweetest girl you can imagine. She just adores Stevie so much she wants to dance the whole time, even if it's just swaying. It's like a religious experience for her, and while admittedly sometimes I wish she would sit down when it's just her in our section, that's my hang-up. Is she "incredibly selfish" for standing? No, I don't accept that characterization of my good friend. I don't think it's fair.

The Eagles are adored by many, and that gives them the power to hurt those people badly with their words. If for no other reason, that should be enough to make them think twice about being insulting towards some fans in interviews. If he must speak of all these rules, he could at least refrain from the personal disparagement.

As always, though, this is JMHO, and I recognize that perfectly reasonable and intelligent people like VA may not agree with it. I'll still passionately defend it, though. Summer vacation allows me to do so at length, lol.

And no matter what...

THE EAGLES ROCK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    As the Farewell 1 DVD was such a success, maybe they're waiting for the Australian tour to record the current tour.
    That would be great! How I wish we'd had one from LROOE. Since this tour is so historic, it would be perfect for such a thing.

I'm sure Don didn't mean to include people like you Soda, I think he could have maybe chosen his words better but he is going after the jackasses.

Also if the band says it's okay to stand than you can stand even if people behind you aren't standing, right? I think that's okay, that's what I did in Houston.
    ~Sara

Well, Soda, I agree that they were over the top with how they handled PLS and you at the second LA show. In fact, I think the band would think security was out of line on that one. Like I said, though, the boorish jackass in front of us the first night was allowed to stand for way too long before he realized they were serious about kicking him out.

Yes, I'm not normally a selfish person, or so I like to think, but I'll be the first to admit that taking so many pictures, especially the second night in Atlanta was over the top. I had my camera up over my head to keep from getting the people walking in front of me in the pictures. I'm sure the people behind me watched most of the concert through the screen. I won't say I was selfish, just clueless. If I'd realized what I was doing and kept doing it, then yes, I'd say I was at the height of selfishness, regardless of how I am in day to day living.

The band is in the best position to see the people weaving and swaying to see around the cameras and people standing, as well as the looks of annoyance on their faces. I still say they are looking out for the majority of their fans. At a concert, it's about the people who've paid to be in the seats, and a good fan respects the wishes of the band. They are OK with people standing up after about the seventh song.

I mentioned this in the Raleigh thread and it bears repeating. I was in the aisle seat, front row there, and the security guy told me I could stand on the opening strains of Already Gone. He asked me twice after that to stand. He mentioned that others would stand and dance if I did. Those beside me wanted to but for whatever reason didn't because I didn't. I wanted to, I was just far too ill to stand. The point is, the band would like people to 'move' during that song, so obviously you and PLS weren't in the wrong in LA, security was.

I will say this, Soda, I've never seen you stand when you weren't supposed to (regardless of what security thought in LA), and I've never seen you sit through a concert with your phone blocking the view of those around you. I don't think Don's comments were directed at you or people like you. His comments were directed at people like the boor in front of us at the first LA concert, and I really hope that kind of person was insulted and doesn't buy any more tickets, especially if they would be in front of me. It is totally OK to stand during Long Run (and the other songs you mentioned), even if no one else is. I mean, if you have a handicapped person behind you who can't stand easily, that's one thing, but normal people can and should stand during this song if they want to see over someone who is standing and enjoying it.

BTW, I never took any videos at any concert. I don't even know how, which is actually kind of aggravating as having video of my nephew's confirmation last week would have been nice, but I never have time to read the manual.
    VK