Page 181 of 301 FirstFirst ... 81131171177178179180181182183184185191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

This is not a particularly good way of starting the tour coverage.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...522-zrkuz.html

Of course I think he is wrong about Heartache Tonight (is he even talking about the correct song? We all know the huge burst of energy which ends it) but he could have included one of Glenn's other songs in his 'best' list.

FP, you're right that it isn't the most flattering of articles ever written about our guys, especially with their first European show just a few short hours away. However, as I read Peter Vincent's article I reminded myself that it's just one opinion - and that global ticket sales for HOTE serve to prove the negatives to be so very off the mark! I just hope Vincent doesn't feel obligated to attend a show and write a review. And if he does, he should take a bathroom break during Heartache Tonight!
    You were just too busy being FABULOUS....

Victim of Love

HT is one of my favourite songs. The audiences at the concerts certainly don't agree with his opinion. I don't think I have ever heard it panned before.

Here's an article re Oz tour. Like the way our boys are already telling people what to do.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ent...-1226926087860

SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot...-charisma.html

Stuck on the Border

Glenn spoke to a WA newspaper about taking the tour to Perth.
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/en...tour-in-perth/

Good to see Glenn doing some press. Usually Don seems to handle it, and while Don is quite well-spoken of course, he also has a tendency to be a bit grumpy-sounding and display an old-fogey attitude that is decidedly uncool.

For instance, one of the first articles promoting the tour is this one. Who promotes their tour by talking about how rigid the rules of proper concert behavior will be??? While there's a bit of ink devoted to more positive aspects (about seven sentences or so), the vast majority of it comes off as NO PEOPLE WHO PRESUME TO STAND WITHOUT PERMISSION, NO VIDEO-TAKERS, NO PEOPLE WHO TAKE MORE THAN WHAT THE BAND CONSIDERS A "FEW" PHOTOS, NO SMARTPHONE USERS DURING CONCERTS WANTED! STAY HOME, YOU "INCREDIBLY SELFISH" JERKS! THE BAND SEES YOU AND VIEWS YOU WITH CONTEMPT AND DISGUST AS A "GREAT ANNOYANCE"!

Amidst all this is info on how to buy tickets. Yeah, this concert sounds like a blast! Sign me up!

Of course, it is evident from the many shows I attend that I think it IS a blast and well worth the money, but Don makes it sound like school. I especially hate the way he makes it sound like the band is spending their time judging you from the stage instead of concentrating on giving you the best show they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley in Australian interview
    We have our security people gently tell them to sit down.
    "Gently"? Many threaten to throw you out! To be fair, though, we can't blame the band if some of their Blackshirts abuse the power they've been given. Maybe they haven't been told to make that threat within seconds of giving the first "warning." I'd like to believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henley in Australian interview
    We don’t want our shows posted on You Tube. It spoils it for people who are going to come to a show in the future. We’d like for them to experience it for the first time in the audience rather than experience it on a crappy video that sounds horrible.
    Yeah, because people are holding guns to the heads of future concert-goers to force them to watch the YouTube videos before they attend.

Rhetorically re-framing the "no YouTube" rule as an unselfish act that helps fans is a good idea, but only if it can be logically supported. Otherwise, it is rather unconvincing.

The copyright argument from earlier in the paragraph is valid, although the Eagles' efforts to keep their content off of YouTube (which has been going on for some time now; even PopGala's "How Long" was taken down back in 2007) is misguided and damaging to the band, IMHO.

Let me add that I respect and admire Don Henley. He is an amazing singer and songwriter - one of the best. I just believe he needs to stop this public crusade to control fan behavior, if for no other reason than to focus on cultivating goodwill for the band as these types of rants do the opposite. The amount of time he spends griping about fan behavior in the press is ridiculous. He's been complaining about all this AT LENGTH for YEARS now. YEARS. How about talking about the music more, Don? Spending more time reminding people why they love the Eagles and would enjoy the show?

This is one of the greatest bands in the world. Their music is powerful; their voices are incredible; their current concert is filled with rich history, rare nuggets like the "Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise" as well as the myriad of hits listed that please the casual fan. The addition of Bernie, which does at least get some ink in the interview, is tremendous. I know I've only been a fan since 2005, but these are the best Eagles shows I have ever seen. As I've said before, these concerts are epic. This show is a must-see for any fan of the band; it's a hardcore fan's wet dream.... but Don wants to talk about the Eagles' concert rules and his scorn for those who disobey. He needs to FREAKING LET IT GO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Soda-

Completely agree with you. I love Don, but he's pretty much in "get off my lawn" territory here.

Not sure what the solution is, but it seems like a pretty alienating stance for a rock band to take.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Victim of Love View Post
    FP, you're right that it isn't the most flattering of articles ever written about our guys, especially with their first European show just a few short hours away. However, as I read Peter Vincent's article I reminded myself that it's just one opinion - and that global ticket sales for HOTE serve to prove the negatives to be so very off the mark! I just hope Vincent doesn't feel obligated to attend a show and write a review. And if he does, he should take a bathroom break during Heartache Tonight!
    He probably will be writing the review in Sydney as he appears to have replaced Bernard Zuel as the Herald's music critic Zuel slammed them on both their previous tours. This guy will no doubt do the same with the exception of a couple of nice words about Henley.

As far as Henley's comments I am suitably chastened & if I attend a show probably won't even attempt to take any photos.

If they hate YouTube so much, they could always have released a DVD of the LROOE tour, and one of this tour. That appears to be asking too much of them.

As for Glenn, I am glad he remembered his After Hours show, and at least he tries to sound as if he is looking forward to the tour.

In regards to the Youtube issue - there are some fans that for whatever reason - be it economic, distance, whatever - that will never get to see their favorite band live. A performance on youtube will be their only opportunity to see/hear their band onstage. Obviously it doesn't compare with being there live. But it is the next best thing. And though they think they need a tight rein for copyright reasons, I think the pros outweigh the cons. There are a lot of times that I am just poking around on youtube and come across someone I've never heard before. Or I might hear about an artist and can go listen to them.Either way, if I like what I hear I usually head over to itunes to download some of their music. It's great advertising if you ask me.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

But Soda, tell us how you really feel...