Page 15 of 301 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Thanks DF--I've given my 2 cents!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

So did I!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Me too. And i find it interesting that after 30+ years there's just now some sort of debate about it. Well, maybe there was in the past and this is the first time i'm hearing about it.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It's funny, but I just finished commenting in the Survivor thread about something similar. I also went ahead and put in my '2 cents' in the poll.

PB, I can tell you that there was MUCH discussion back in the day about the entire Hotel California album and many of the lyrics in the songs. The album was very leading-edge and controversial at the time of it's release. As I said in the Survivor thread, the controversy surrounding the album had a widespread social impact. Its 'true' message was endlessly debated (and sometimes still is) among scholars, theologians, community leaders, educators, etc., etc., etc. As with many controversial subjects, the album eventually left a lasting impression on our cultural landscape.

I don't want to sound too dramatic, but I really don't think I am overstating the album's social relevance.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

'People find it offensive' - well there's a nice, deeply researched statement. Who are 'people'?

I think people here are aware that I am not religious and those happen to be my favourite lines in the song, which I guess is easy for me to say. It is not for me to claim whether or not it is offensive to religious people. I will say I don't believe the word should be censored.

I am receiving all kinds of Google Alerts about our radio station censoring LITFL. Who would have dreamed that this would be going on now, so many years after the release of that song? This one is from Entertainment Weekly:

The Eagles get censored. Wait, what?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

It's funny--We have noticed the local channel up here (WAOR 95.3) has all of a sudden started censoring some of the songs that they never have before. We were just talking about this the other night and wondering why all of a sudden they have changed it. Haven't noticed Eagles being censored yet tho. Strange--do you think the whole world is getting more moral on us? Geez--I hate censorship of any kind!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

TBF, in general, I don't like censorship either. However, I do think that a radio station has a right to play whatever songs they want. If they don't like the lyrics of a song, then I think that they should just ban it. To me, bleeping or changing words just brings more attention to them. I personally think it would be ridiculous to ban LITFL, but if a radio station wants to make a statement, it seems to me that removing the song from the play list would be lot more effective.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's a difficult thing. The truth is, I don't mind the radio bleeping out words on occasion. With today's songs, especially rap and hip hop, they use the f- word so much it's ridiculous. I don't want to hear that on the radio.

It's common practice to censor lyrics on stations all across America - just go to iTunes and see how many songs have two versions - the radio friendly "censored" one and the "explicit lyrics" one. If the solution is to just take them off the radio rather than play them, many modern stations would have seriously decimated playlists!

The artists understand this and accept it; you don't hear them insisting that their cussing gets played on the radio. They want their music to get exposure, and if that means allowing their cussing to get bleeped out, they're OK with it. People can always hear the full versions when they buy the albums - the artists' ultimate goal.

I think the reason many people are getting up in arms about LITFL is that they think that g-ddamn isn't as bad as the f- word, and they don't place the Eagles's LITFL in the same category as Eminem's My Name Is (Slim Shady), for instance. The Eagles are "sacred cows." Now, me, I hate that lyric and I never sing along with it. Many people DO find that word as offensive as the f- word. It still gets beeped on TV. Why should the rules be different for radio? Why should the rules be different for the Eagles?

So, I'll take the unpopular position that if the station wants to censor the lyrics, I don't have a problem with it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Very well said, Soda, and I agree.

Btw, I LOVE your new av.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten